Matt Pond PA
This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Matt Pond PA
|Labels||131 Records 131records|
|Past members||Rosie McNamara-Jones|
Kyle Kelly-Yahner (Touring)
Tierney Tough (Touring)
Tre Hester (touring)
Sammi Niss (Touring)
Hilary James (touring)
Matt Pond PA is a New York-based band formed in Philadelphia by singer-songwriter Matt Pond. It has released numerous LPs and numerous EPs between 1998 and 2020.
Throughout the years Pond enlisted a rotating cast of collaborators for recording and touring, including cellists Jim Hostetter and Eve Miller, violinist Rosie McNamara-Jones, drummers Mike Kennedy and Dan Crowell, bassists Matt Raisch and Josh Kramer, and guitarists Jim Kehoe and Brian Pearl. Chris Hansen, producer and guitarist, has been a core member of the group since 2007. Cellist Shawn Alpay, who performs individually as Completions, is currently recording and touring as a member of the band.
Matt Pond announced on October 30, 2017, on his website and social media accounts that he would be retiring the Matt Pond PA moniker but would continue making music. However, as of 2020, Matt Pond continues to release music under the name Matt Pond PA.
- Matt Pond – vocals, guitar
- Chris Hansen – guitar, vocals
- Shawn Alpay – cello
Early history (1998 - 2002)
Debuting in 1998 with Deer Apartments, the band quickly gained momentum through claiming top honors in an unsigned bands competition sponsored by CDNOW. Their sophomore album, Measure, was released in 2000 and a follow-up EP I Thought You Were Sleeping was issued the following year. The band first release on Polyvinyl, The Green Fury, was released in the spring of 2002 and The Nature of Maps followed soon after.
Emblems, Several Arrows Later, Last Light, The Freeep, and The Threeep (2004 - 2009)
Pond relocated to Brooklyn in 2003 and recorded the band’s breakthrough album, Emblems, which was released on Altitude in 2004. In 2005 the band issued the seasonal EP, Winter Songs, which gained a larger following when Starbucks used the song "Snow Day" in a television commercial. Several months later released their 6th full-length LP entitled Several Arrows Later. 2007 saw the launch of If You Want Blood and Last Light. In 2008 the band released a free EP entitled The Freeep which was later sold under the name Auri Sacra Fames in 2009. An EP called The Threeep was also released in 2009.
The Dark Leaves, The Lives Inside the Lines in Your Hand, and The State of Gold (2010 - 2015)
Holing up in a cabin in Upstate New York, Pond recorded The Dark Leaves with producer Chris Hansen and several other guest musicians in 2010. In 2011, Matt Pond PA released his EP titled Spring Fools, which included three songs. One of the songs, "Love to Get Used", was featured later on in the Vince Vaughn movie Delivery Man (film) in 2013. 2013 saw the brief removal of “PA” from the band name and the release of The Lives Inside the Lines in Your Hand. The band recorded and released 2015’s The State of Gold while simultaneously playing anniversary tours for both Emblems and Several Arrows Later.
Winter Lives, Still Summer, Free Fall, and A Collection of Bees, Pt. 1 (2016 - 2020)
Matt Pond launched 131 Records in the summer of 2016 from a desire to retain complete control over his musical process. He uses Patreon, a platform that allows fans to directly interact and contribute to the artist, to fund the endeavor.
On November 11, 2016, Matt Pond PA released their eleventh album, Winter Lives. Keeping with the seasonal theme, Still Summer followed on August 11, 2017.
On October 30, 2017, Matt Pond announced via his website and social media accounts, "...It is time to say goodbye to the oddly named Matt Pond PA. We’ll soon release a reprising holiday EP. And these shows in December will be the last we play under that honorific. (Or at least for a long, long, long, long, long, long time.) Whatever happens next, I will continue to make music. We’re focusing the crux of our upcoming efforts here. Just without my name on all the baloney. It’s time for a different brand of baloney..."
The band released what at the time was considered to be its final EP, "More Winter Lives", on November 21, 2017, and final show on December 16, 2017 in Kingston, New York.
As of 2020, Matt Pond continues to publish music under the name Matt Pond PA. Matt Pond and Chris Hansen released the album Free Fall on October 30, 2018. Matt Pond PA released A Collection of Bees, Pt. 1 on February 7, 2020. and Songs of Disquiet on August 7, 2020. 
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|The Green Fury||
|The Nature of Maps||
|Several Arrows Later||
|The Dark Leaves||
|The Lives Inside the Lines in Your Hand||
|Skeletons and Friends||
|The State of Gold||
|A Collection of Bees, Pt. 1||
|"—" denotes album that did not chart or was not released|
- I Thought You Were Sleeping (2001)
- This Is Not the Green Fury (2001), vinyl only
- Four Songs (2004)
- Winter Songs (2005)
- If You Want Blood (2007)
- The Freeep (2008), download only
- Spring Fools (2011)
- The Natural Lines (2013)
- Threeep (2013), download only
- Free the Fawns! (2016), download only
- Double Freeture (2017), download only
- More Winter Lives (2017), download only
- Early B-Sides, download only
- Songs of Disquiet (2020), download only
- Lily Two/Golden Brown (2004)
- Halloween (2005)
- Snow Day/Holiday Road (2005)
- So Much Trouble (2005)
- Sunlight (2007)
- People Have a Way (2007)
- Starting (2009), vinyl only
- Remains (2010), download only
- Love To Get Used (2013), promo only
- Hole in My Heart (2013), download only
- Ruins (2013), download only
- Drive with Anya Marina (2017), download only
- Specks (Redux) with Anya Marina (2020), download only
with Chris Hansen
- Lebanon, PA (2011)
- Free Fall (2018)
- "Green Shirt" (Elvis Costello cover) from Almost You: The Songs of Elvis Costello (2002)
- "Champagne Supernova" (Oasis cover) from The OC: Mix 4 (2005)
- "I'm Not Okay" (My Chemical Romance cover) from Guilt by Association Vol. 2 (2008)
- "matt pond PA | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "My Way. | matt pond PA". matt pond PA. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Matt Pond PA: Emblems". PopMatters. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Matt Pond PA takes Starbucks success on the road for 2011 North American tour". ReadJunk.com. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Free Fall". Bandcamp. Retrieved 13 August 2020.
- "A Collection of Bees, Pt. 1". Bandcamp. Retrieved 13 August 2020.
- "Songs of Disquiet". Bandcamp. Retrieved 23 August 2020.
- "matt pond PA - Billboard".
- "Early B-Sides". Matt Pond PA. Matt Pond PA. Retrieved 23 August 2020.
- "Songs of Disquiet". Spotify. Retrieved 23 August 2020.
- "Lebanon PA Soundtrack". Spotify. Retrieved 23 August 2020.