|Birth name||Matthew James Redman|
14 February 1974 |
|Genres||Worship, contemporary Christian, pop|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, worship leader, author|
He has worked with Newfrontiers, Passion Conferences, Hillsong London, Soul Survivor, is an artist for Sixstepsrecords and is a member of Compassionart, a charity founded by Martin Smith. He appeared with Hillsong London for a song on their 2005 album Jesus Is; he co-wrote and sang the song "Greatest Gift". In 2013, Redman won two Grammy Awards for "10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)" co-written with Jonas Myrin: Best Contemporary Christian Music Song and Best Gospel/Contemporary Christian Music Performance.
Numerous Contemporary Christian music (CCM) artists such as Matt Maher, Michael W. Smith, Jeremy Camp, Rebecca St. James, Chris Tomlin, David Crowder Band, Tree63, Kutless, Stellar Kart, and Hillsong United have performed Redman's songs. Some of his most popular early songs include "Heart of Worship", "You Never Let Go", "Let Everything That Has Breath", "Once Again", "Undignified", and "Better Is One Day". More recently he has co-written songs like "You Never Let Go", the 2005 Dove Award-winning "Blessed Be Your Name" (Worship Song of the Year) and the Grammy Award nominated "Our God". He regularly works alongside other Christian artists such as Chris Tomlin and Tim Hughes.
Redman started leading worship at St Andrews, Chorleywood, moving to help start up Soul Survivor alongside Mike Pilavachi and was the worship leader for the Soul Survivor Church in Watford. According to founder Mike Pilavachi, the Soul Survivor festivals (which began in 1993) grew out of worship sessions with him and the then 15-year-old Redman. Redman led worship at the early Soul Survivor festivals, returning to lead worship again in 2011 and 2014.
In 2002, after a sabbatical in America recording Where Angels Fear To Tread, Redman moved to Brighton to work with Terry Virgo at the Newfrontiers church, CCK. He has been involved in their 'Newday' and 'Together on a Mission' conferences.
In 2004 Redman joined a new church plant, The Point, also in West Sussex, led by Will Kemp.
In 2008 Matt and Beth Redman, along with their three children, moved to Atlanta, Georgia, to plant a church with Louie Giglio and Chris Tomlin called Passion City Church. In August 2010 Redman and his family returned to the UK. They have since joined a church plant in Brighton at St Peter's Church, Brighton.
On 18 and 19 February 2011, Redman joined Chris Tomlin, Louie Giglio, and Nathan and Christy Nockels at LIFT – A Worship Leader Collective. His new live album, 10,000 Reasons, was recorded during this event.
On 28 July 2012, the title track of Redman's new live album topped the Billboard Christian Songs chart. It is Redman's first number one hit on American Contemporary Christian radio.
He has authored and edited multiple books on Christian worship, including The Unquenchable Worshipper and the book Facedown which accompanied the album of the same name. His latest book Mirror Ball relays his thoughts and experiences of 'living boldly and shining brightly for the glory of God'.
- Wake Up My Soul (1993)
- Passion for Your Name (1995)
- The Friendship and the Fear (1997)
- Intimacy (1998), released as The Heart of Worship in USA (1999)
- The Father's Song (2000)
- Where Angels Fear to Tread (2002)
- Facedown (2004)
- Beautiful News (2006)
- We Shall Not Be Shaken (2009)
- 10,000 Reasons (2011) (UK chart peak: No. 149) (US Christian Album chart peak: No. 1)
- Your Grace Finds Me (2013)
- Unbroken Praise (2015)
- Blessed Be Your Name: The Songs of Matt Redman Vol. 1 (2005)
- Ultimate Collection (2010)
- Sing Like Never Before: The Essential Collection (2012)
- Facedown (DVD, 2004)
Passion event albums
- The Road To OneDay (2000)
- OneDay: Live (2000)
- Sacred Revolution: Songs From OneDay 03 (2003)
- Hymns: Ancient and Modern (2004)
- How Great Is Our God (2005)
- Everything Glorious (2006)
- The Best of Passion (So Far) (2006)
- Live from Passion 07 Pt. 2 (2007)
- God of This City (2008)
- Awakening (2010)
- Here for You (2011)
- White Flag (2012)
- Let the Future Begin (2013)
- Take It All (2014)
|Song||Year||Peak chart positions|
|"Twenty Seven Million"
|"10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)"||2012||—||103||1||11|
|"Your Grace Finds Me"||2013||—||—||11||—|
- Grammy Award wins
- 2013: Best Contemporary Christian Music Song – "10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)"
- 2013: Best Gospel/Contemporary Christian Music Performance – "10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)"
- 2005: Worship Song of the Year: "Blessed Be Your Name"
- 2006: Praise and Worship Album of the Year: Blessed Be Your Name: The Songs of Matt Redman Vol. 1
- 2007: Children's Music Album of the Year: VeggieTales Worship Songs
- 2007: Special Event Album of the Year: Passion: Everything Glorious
- 2009: Special Event Album of the Year: Passion: God of This City
- 2011: Worship Song of the Year – TIE: "Our God"
- 2011: Special Event Album of the Year: Passion: Awakening
- 2013: Song of the Year: "10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)"
- 2013: Contemporary Christian Performance of the Year: "10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)"
- 2013: Songwriter of the Year
- The Unquenchable Worshipper, (2001)
- Where Angels Fear to Tread, (2002)
- The Heart of Worship Files, (2003)
- Facedown, (2004)
- Inside Out Worship, (2005)
- Blessed Be Your Name (with Beth Redman), (2005)
- Mirror Ball, (2011)
- Redman, Matthew James. "Songwriter/Composer: REDMAN MATTHEW JAMES". Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI). Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "Matt Redman Biography – Profile of Christian Worship Leader Matt Redman". Christianmusic.about.com. 14 February 1974. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "alphacourse.org". Uk.alphacourse.org. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- url=http://www.passioncitychurch.com/blog/?p=221 (22 July 2010). "Farewell To UK Friends – passioncitychurch blog". Passioncitychurch.com.
- (c) 2008 Design/development by Visual Inventor Ltd. Co. http://www.VisualInventor.com. "Matt Redman". Mattredman.sparrowrecords.com. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "LIFT". Passioncitychurch.com. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Matt Redman Album & Song Chart History". Billboard.com. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Matt Redman becomes first Brit to top US Christian music charts | Christian News on Christian Today". Christiantoday.com. 30 July 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "iTunes - Music - Unbroken Praise (Live) by Matt Redman". Itunes.apple.com. June 16, 2015. Retrieved May 30, 2015.
- "Passion: Let the Future Begin". Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "New Live Passion Album To Be Titled 'Let The Future Begin'". Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "42nd Annual GMA Dove Awards on gmc". Doveawards.com. Retrieved 28 February 2012.