Reeves at the 2013 Comic-Con International
|Born||Matthew George Reeves
April 27, 1966
Rockville Centre, New York, United States
|Alma mater||University of Southern California|
|Spouse(s)||Melinda Wang (present)|
Matthew George "Matt" Reeves (born April 27, 1966) is an American screenwriter, director and producer. Reeves began his career as a screenwriter for the films Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995) and The Pallbearer (1996), the latter of which marked his feature-length directorial debut. He then transitioned into television as a director and co-creator of the drama series Felicity (1998–2002) alongside J.J. Abrams. Reeves has since directed the found-footage horror film Cloverfield (2008), the romantic horror film Let Me In (2010), and the science fiction sequels Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) and War for the Planet of the Apes (2017). In February 2017, Warner Bros. announced that Reeves would direct The Batman, to be set in the DC Extended Universe starring Ben Affleck as the titular character.
Reeves was born in Rockville Centre, New York, and raised in Los Angeles, California. He began making movies at age eight, directing friends and using a wind-up camera. Reeves met and befriended J.J. Abrams when both were 13 years old and a public-access television cable TV channel, Z Channel, was airing their short films. When Reeves and Abrams were about 15, Steven Spielberg hired them to transfer some of his Super 8 films to videotape.
Reeves attended the University of Southern California. There, between 1991 and 1992, he produced an award-winning student film, Mr. Petrified Forest, which helped him acquire an agent; he also co-wrote a script that eventually became Under Siege 2: Dark Territory. After graduating, he co-wrote The Pallbearer, which became his professional directorial debut.
Reeves and Abrams co-created the TV series Felicity, for which Reeves directed several episodes, including the pilot. Reeves has helmed occasional episodes of other TV series, including Homicide: Life on the Street and Relativity.
He also wrote and directed Let Me In, a remake of the Swedish film Let the Right One In, which was released on October 1, 2010 by Overture Films. He was a special guest at the 2010 San Diego Comic Con.
In 2012, it was announced that Reeves will direct a movie based on the classic hit TV series The Twilight Zone. He says that the film will have one main story that could relate to the original series. The film was about to develop in summer 2013 but Reeves left the project for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes, released in 2014. He returned to direct the third film, War for the Planet of the Apes, which is set for a release on July 14, 2017.
Since 2011, Reeves has been working on the script of 8 O'Clock in the Morning, a science fiction film based on the short story of same name written by Ray Nelson. He will also direct the film and Universal Pictures will produce the film.
In January of 2017, it was reported that Ben Affleck had stepped down as director for his co-written, co-produced, and self-starring, The Batman; while also naming Reeves as one of several filmmakers on a shortlist of those the studio and Affleck were jointly considering as a replacement to direct the film. In February of 2017, it was announced that he would direct the Batman film in the DC Extended Universe.
Reeves is married to Melinda Wang, a former animator. They have one son.
- Future Shock (1993) (Mr. Petrified Forest segment) (writer, director)
- Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (with Richard Hatem) (1995) (co-writer)
- The Pallbearer (1996) (co-writer, with Jason Katims)
- Relativity (1997) (TV)
- Homicide: Life on the Street (1997) (TV)
- Gideon's Crossing (2000) (TV)
- Felicity (1998–2002) (co-creator, with J. J. Abrams) (TV)
- The Yards (with James Gray) (2000) (co-writer)
- Miracles (2006) (TV)
- Conviction (2006) (TV)
- Cloverfield (2008) (director)
- Let Me In (2010) (director, writer)
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) (director)
- 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) (executive producer)
- War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) (director, co-writer)
- The Batman (TBA) (director, co-producer)
Critical, public and commercial reception to films Reeves has directed as of April 16, 2015.
|Film||Rotten Tomatoes||Metacritic||CinemaScore||Budget||Box office|
|The Pallbearer||42% (19 reviews)||N/A||N/A||$8 million||$5.7 million|
|Cloverfield||77% (198 reviews)||64 (37 reviews)||C||$25 million||$170.8 million|
|Let Me In||88% (219 reviews)||79 (35 reviews)||C+||$20 million||$24.1 million|
|Dawn of the Planet of the Apes||90% (257 reviews)||79 (48 reviews)||A-||$170 million||$708.8 million|
|War for the Planet of the Apes||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
- Lesnick, Silas (10 February 2017). "Matt Reeves is The Batman Director!". Comingsoon.net. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "It's Official! Matt Reeves will Direct The Batman". Comingsoon.net. February 23, 2017. Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (22 May 2015). "Kathleen Kennedy's Great Story About How J.J. Abrams And Matt Reeves Met Steven Spielberg As Teenagers". indiewire.com. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- Neil Daniels JJ Abrams - A Study in Genius: The Unofficial Biography, p. 54, at Google Books
- Campbell, Christopher (7 July 2014). "Watch 'Mr. Petrified Forrest,' the Debut Film By 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' Helmer Matt Reeves". filmschoolrejects.com. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- David Hofstede 5000 Episodes and No Commercials: The Ultimate Guide to TV Shows On DVD, p. 221, at Google Books
- "00's Retrospect: Horror Softens Up in 2008". Bloody-disgusting.com. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- "Matt Reeves Talks Cloverfield 2". Dreadcentral.com. March 13, 2010. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- "Matt Reeves Talks DayCation – Promises a Darker Experience". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- "'DayCation' Dark and More Thrilling Than 'Twilight'". Bloody-disgusting.com. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- "SD Comic-Com 2010: Let Me in Party for Clever Code Crackers". Dreadcentral.com. July 16, 2010. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- Sorry, Ya’ Damned Dirty ‘Apes,’ Next Sequel Moved to 2017
- "They Live Remake Isn't A Remake: Matt Reeves To Direct 8 O'Clock In The Morning". pajiba.com. April 12, 2011. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- Kroll, Justin (January 30, 2017). "Ben Affleck Will Not Direct 'The Batman' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved January 31, 2017.
- "Matt Reeves". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "Matt Reeves". Metacritic. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "CinemaScore". cinemascore.com. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "Matt Reeves Movie Box office". boxofficemojo.com. Amazon.com. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Reeves.|