Matt Smith (comics)
|Born||Matthew Joseph Ratcliffe Smith
31 October 1972
Judge Dredd Megazine
|Awards||"Favourite Editor" Eagle 2007, 2008 and 2011|
Matt Smith (born 31 October 1972) is the current and longest-serving editor of long-running British science fiction weekly anthology comic 2000 AD, and the sister title Judge Dredd Megazine. He has also written two novels.
Smith joined 2000 AD in 2000, after three years working as a desk editor for MacMillan, at the time the comic was changing ownership – from Egmont to Rebellion. Starting out as the assistant to the new editor Andy Diggle, Smith was appointed as the ninth incarnation of Tharg the Mighty (a humorous term used to refer to the comic’s editor) in January 2002.
Smith has also branched out into writing. His credits so far are a Judge Dredd novel and regular stints on the syndicated Judge Dredd newspaper strips.
Comics edited include:
- 2000 AD #1274 – ongoing, January 2002 – present
- Judge Dredd Megazine #241 – ongoing, February 2006 – present
- Judge Dredd: The Final Cut (Black Flame, February 2005, ISBN 1-84416-135-8)
- Tomes of the Dead: The Words of Their Roaring (Abaddon Books, May 2007, ISBN 1-905437-34-X)
- Judge Dredd Year One: City Fathers (Rebellion (e-book), August 2012)
- 2007: Won the "Favourite Editor" Eagle Award
- 2008: Won the "Favourite Editor" Eagle Award
- 2010: Nominated for the "Favourite Editor" Eagle Award
- 2011: Won the "Favourite Editor" Eagle Award
- 2012: Nominated for the "Favourite Editor" Eagle Award
(There were no awards in 2009.)
- Bishop (2007) page 114
- City Fathers's entry at Rebellionstore.com
||This section includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- 2003 Interview with 411
- 2004 Interview with 2000ADReview
- 2007 Interview with 2000ADReview
- 2007 interview about 2000 AD's 30th anniversary, Comics Bulletin
- Keily, Karl (19 October 2010). "Smith Brings the UK to the USA". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
|2000 AD editor
|Judge Dredd Megazine editor