Matt Starr performing at a Breast Cancer Can Stick It! charity event near Dallas in October 2015
|Origin||New York City, United States|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, drummer, songwriter, producer|
|Instruments||Drums, vocals, guitar|
|Labels||Spitfire, Eagle Rock,|
|Associated acts||Ace Frehley, Mr. Big, Joe Lynn Turner, Beautiful Creatures, Dizzy Reed|
Matt Starr is an American-born drummer, singer, songwriter, and producer. He is currently touring with Mr. Big, filling for drummer Pat Torpey on the band's "Defying Gravity" (Frontiers Records) World Tour. Starr performed on the 2017 release, which was produced by Kevin Elson (Journey, Lynyrd Skynyrd),  as well as on "...The Stories We Could Tell" (Frontiers Records) World Tour. In 2012 Starr joined guitarist and founding KISS member Ace Frehley. He played drums on Ace Frehley's 2014 release Space Invader (eOne Records). Starr was asked to play on the record after performing a few shows with Frehley in 2012. He is the only drummer other than Late Night With David Letterman drummer Anton Fig to play on the entirety of one of Frehley's records. The 2014 release drew comparisons to 1970's KISS and Frehley's 1978 solo album. Starr also performed on Frehley's next release "Origins Vol 1", which featured the Free cover "Fire and Water", with KISS frontman Paul Stanley on lead vocals, as well as appearances by Slash, and others. While remaining with Frehley, in 2013 Starr began playing with Burning Rain, which was formed by Whitesnake guitarist Doug Aldrich and Montrose vocalist Keith St John. Starr has also toured with Rainbow frontman Joe Lynn Turner, Love/Hate, Quiet Riot vocalist Kevin DuBrow, and others.
In 2005, Starr co-wrote and recorded the Beautiful Creatures sophomore release Deuce (Spitfire Records), and toured with the band the same year. The song "Freedom" was used in the 2009 Sandra Bullock film The Proposal. "Anyone", also from Deuce, was used in the FX series Sons of Anarchy that aired on October 8 at 10:00 p.m. In late 2004, Starr formed the band Hookers & Blow with Dizzy Reed (Guns N' Roses) and current Quiet Riot guitarist Alex Grossi. The band toured the U.S. in 2004.
In 2007, Starr stepped away from drumming and formed The Automatic Music Explosion as a singer, and spent the next 2 years recording with multi-platinum producer Mike Chapman. The two met after Starr showed up at the producer's East-Coast home and asked him to produce the record. Due to lack of label support, the record never saw a proper release; however, several of the tracks were licensed to various cable television shows and movies, including SpongeBob SquarePants. In the summer of 2012, Starr co-produced the debut release of the hard rock band Hotel Diablo's The Return To Psycho California along with Guns N' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke.
In early 2013, Starr was asked to join the band Burning Rain for their 2013 release "Epic Obsession". The band features Whitesnake guitarist Doug Aldrich, former Montrose singer Keith St John, and Dokken bassist Sean McNabb. This also led to Starr touring with Aldrich's other band Steamroller, which included bassist/singer Michael Devin, also of Whitesnake.
Starr is endorsed by Evans Drumheads
- Kick Batter: Coated G3 – 26" or 28"
- Kick Front: Smooth White
- Snare Top: Heavyweight
- Snare Bottom: Snare 300
- Toms Top: Coated G2 – 14" 16" 18"
- Toms Bottom: Coated G1
- Bass 14x28" or 14x26"
- Toms 10x14, 16x16, 18x18"
- Snare 6.5x14" Black Beauty, 6.5x14 chrome over brass Supraphonic
(Vintage 60/70's 3-ply wood shells or 1976 clear Vistalites)
- 15" 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hats
- 20" 2002 Power Crash
- 24" 2002 Ride
- 22" 2002 Crash
- 22" 2002 China
- 20" RUDE Thin Crash
- 12" Signature Splash
- Signature Power 5B
- Lafon, Mitch. "Hot Flashes". Bravewords. Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- Lafon, Mitch. "Drummer MATT STARR Joins Legendary KISS Guitarist Ace Frehley; Produces HOTEL DIABLO Debut". Puregrainaudio.com. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- IMDB. "The Proposal Soundtrack List". IMDB. Retrieved 2009. Check date values in:
- Price, Christopher. "BEAUTIFUL CREATURES Track Licensed For FX Program Sons Of Anarchy". Bravewords.com. Retrieved 23 September 2008.
- Rao, Deb. "DIZZY REED RETURNS TO LUCKY DOG THIS FRIDAY NIGHT". wormtown.org. Retrieved September 1, 2004.
- Baskin, Richard. "Modern Times: Mike Chapman Today". Classic Tracks. Media House, Cambridge UK. Retrieved June 2008. Check date values in:
- Wolfman, Jeff (October 30, 2008). "AUTOMATIC FUN with The Automatic Music Explosion". All Access Magazine: 32–36. Retrieved October 30, 2008.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2013-11-28.
- Brandolini, Chad. "Artist". Vater Percusison. Retrieved October 2012. Check date values in: