Taberner playing for Fremantle in 2016
|Full name||Matthew Taberner|
|Date of birth||17 June 1993|
|Original team(s)||Murray Bushrangers, TAC Cup|
|Debut||Round 13, 23 June 2013, Fremantle
vs. North Melbourne, at Patersons Stadium
|Height||199 cm (6 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||102 kg (225 lb)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2017.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Matthew 'Matt' Taberner (born 17 June 1993) is an Australian rules footballer who plays for the Fremantle Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He mainly plays as a key position forward.
Originally from Bright, Victoria, Taberner played for the Myrtleford in the Ovens & Murray Football League and the Murray Bushrangers in the TAC Cup. He was drafted to Fremantle with the 11th selection at the 2013 Rookie Draft. Taberner missed the start of the 2013 season due to a bout of glandular fever. He made his debut for Peel Thunder in the West Australian Football League (WAFL) in the 6th round of the 2013 WAFL season, and kicking 9 goals from his next 7 matches.
Taberner made his AFL debut in Round 13, 2013 against North Melbourne at Patersons Stadium. He struggled to hold his place in the side, playing only four games in 2013 and six in 2014, before an impressive performance against Brisbane Lions in Round 22 earnt him a nomination for the 2014 AFL Rising Star. Playing as Fremantle's only tall forward due to captain Matthew Pavlich's late withdrawal due to injury, Taberner collected 24 disposals, took 10 marks and kicked a goal as Fremantle thrashed Brisbane by 58 points.
Taberner was out of contract at the end of the 2017 season, and due to poor form wasn't selected by Fremantle early in the season. In the second half of the season he lifted his output for WAFL side Peel Thunder, forcing his way into the senior side for the final three matches.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2016 season
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Bourke, Jace (24 May 2013). "Taberner ready for AFL debut".
- Mitchell, Chris (12 December 2012). "Dockers had Matt tabbed".
- Duffield, Mark; Lewis, Ross (14 February 2013). "Dockers rookie laid low by illness". The West Australian.
- Rynne, Nick (22 June 2013). "Rickety Roos need to be brave". The West Australian.
- "Taberner earns AFL Rising Star nomination". 25 August 2014.
- King, Travis (10 September 2017). "Big Docker fires Peel into another WAFL GF". AFL.com.au. Australian Football League. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- Matthew Taberner's player profile at AFL Tables
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Taberner.|