Matt Thomas (Australian rules footballer)
|Full name||Matthew Thomas|
|Date of birth||27 February 1987|
|Original team(s)||Sandringham Dragons (TAC Cup)|
|Draft||No. 8, 2006 Pre-Season Draft Port Adelaide
No. 42, 2013 Rookie Draft, Richmond
|Height / weight||186cm / 87kg|
102 (36)87 (30)
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2015.
Matthew Thomas (born 27 February 1987) is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the Port Adelaide Football Club and Richmond Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). In 2013, Thomas won the Magarey Medal while playing for Norwood. He was delisted by Port Adelaide at the end of the 2013 season. Thomas was picked up by Richmond in the 2013 Rookie Draft and then elevated to its senior list on 11 March 2014.
Port Adelaide career
Recruited at pick number eight in the 2006 Pre-season Draft from TAC Cup side Sandringham Dragons, Thomas played as either a defender or a midfielder. Because he was drafted from outside South Australia, Thomas was placed in the South Australian National Football League (SANFL) internal draft, and picked up by Norwood. Thomas made his debut in the third round of the SANFL, against Woodville-West Torrens. He played 10 games and scored one goal for Norwood during the 2006 season.
In 2006, Thomas made his AFL debut in round 14 against Richmond, after some impressive mid-season form with Norwood in the SANFL. His first kick in AFL football resulted in a goal, although Port Adelaide lost the match by 38 points. Thomas was kept in the side that played Geelong the next week, and scored another goal. He then played another six games for the year, playing eight in total and kicking three goals.
In 2007, Thomas spent time in hospital, after complications from having his appendix removed. He lost 15 kg in just two weeks, after an abdominal infection following his appendix removal. It was so severe that he had a section of his intestine removed.
In 2013, Thomas won the Magarey Medal while playing for Norwood. He was delisted by Port Adelaide at season's end.
Thomas was recruited by Richmond at pick 42 in the 2014 Rookie Draft held in November 2013. His first appearance in a Richmond jumper was on 22 February 2014, in the NAB Challenge series and he had 15 disposals, two marks and two tackles. On 11 March 2014, Thomas was elevated to the club's senior list. He announced his retirement in October 2015.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- "Richmond upgrade Orren Stephenson and Matt Thomas, Magpies upgrade Ben Hudson". Herald Sun. News Ltd. 11 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- Schmook, Nathan (26 January 2014). "Tiger rookies are 'injury replacement players': Hardwick". AFL. AFL. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Higgins, Ben (23 February 2014). "10 thing we learnt from Richmond's big win over Collingwood in Wangaratta". Herald Sun. News Ltd. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Three more Tiger list changes". RichmondFC.com.au. Bigpond. 28 October 2015. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Matt Thomas". AFL Tables. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- Matt Thomas's statistics from AFL Tables