Thornhill playing for Nottingham Forest
|Full name||Matthew Mark Thornhill|
|Date of birth||11 October 1988|
|Place of birth||Nottingham, England|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking midfielder|
|2009||→ Brighton & Hove Albion (loan)||7||(0)|
|2010||→ Cheltenham Town (loan)||17||(3)|
|2014–2016||Shaw Lane Aquaforce|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Matthew Mark Thornhill (born 11 October 1988) is an English footballer currently playing for Northern Premier League side Basford United . He has previously played for Nottingham Forest, Brighton & Hove Albion, Cheltenham Town, Hibernian, Buxton, Shaw Lane Aquaforce and Gainsborough Trinity. His career has been disrupted by a medial knee ligament injury.
Thornhill made his professional debut for Nottingham Forest as a substitute at Chester City in the first round of the League Cup, which Forest won 4–2 on penalties after the game finished goalless after normal and extra time. He made his League debut five days later, coming on as a second-half substitute for Kris Commons. On 12 January 2008, the youngster came on as a late substitute against Leyton Orient to score his first professional goal for The Reds, the last of Forest's goals in a 4–0 victory.
Thornhill started his first Forest game when he stepped in at the last minute to replace Chris Cohen in the heart of midfield. He has since been battling for a midfield spot, scoring his second goal of the season in a 1–1 draw at Southend. He helped The Reds finish second in the 2007–08 season in League One, gaining promotion to the Championship. With The Reds gaining promotion, manager Colin Calderwood commented that Thornhill would be given the chance to impress the following season.
On 21 July 2009, Thornhill joined League One side Brighton & Hove Albion on loan as part of the transfer deal which saw Joel Lynch join Nottingham Forest. After making seven appearances for Brighton, Thornhill returned to Nottingham Forest in December. Thornhill then joined League Two side Cheltenham Town on a one-month loan deal in January 2010. His debut for Cheltenham came against Rochdale, and shortly after that his loan deal was extended to the end of the season.
On 21 January 2011, Thornhill agreed a deal to sign for Scottish Premier League club Hibernian until the summer of 2013, subject to a medical. Hibernian confirmed the transfer a few days later, assigning the player squad number 26. His 2010–11 season was ended prematurely by a medial knee ligament injury. Thornhill was released from his contract in January 2012. He had made just 15 appearances for Hibs in his year with the club.
Into the National League System
He signed for Shaw Lane Aquaforce, then of the Northern Counties East Football League, in July 2014. He won promotion with the team to the Northern Premier League Division One South at the end of the 2014–15 season. Thornhill was club captain at Aqauaforce the following season as they reached the play-off final, which the Barnsley club lost to Coalville Town.
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Total|
|2007–08||Nottingham Forest||League One||14||2||1||0||1||0||16||2|
|2009–10||Brighton & Hove Albion (loan)||League One||7||0||0||0||1||0||8||0|
|Cheltenham Town (loan)||League Two||17||3||0||0||0||0||17||3|
|Scotland||League||Scottish Cup||League Cup||Total|
- Nottingham Forest
- "Nottingham Forest midfielder Matt Thornhill agrees terms with Hibs". Daily Record. Glasgow: Trinity Mirror. 21 January 2011.
- CC's Pledge To Youngsters | Nottingham Forest | News | Latest News | Latest News
- "Forest Set to Clinch Lynch Deal". BBC Sport. 21 July 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2009.
- "Forest duo leave Albion". The Argus. 2 December 2009. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- "Forest midfielder joins Cheltenham Town". ctfc.com. Cheltenham Town F.C. Archived from the original on 24 January 2010.
- "Matt Thornhill of Nottingham Forest stays at Cheltenham". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. 1 February 2010. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- Taylor, Paul (8 June 2016). "Matt Thornhill - Nottingham Forest's rising star who never fulfilled his potential". nottinghampost.com. Nottingham Post. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Hibs agree deal with Nottingham Forest's Matt Thornhill". BBC Sport. BBC. 21 January 2011. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- "Irish Defender Signs on Loan". hibernianfc.co.uk. Hibernian F.C. 25 January 2011. Archived from the original on 28 January 2011. Retrieved 25 January 2011.
- McLauchlin, Brian (14 April 2011). "Matt Thornhill misses run-in with Hibs through injury". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- "Hibernian part company with Matt Thornhill and Victor Palsson". BBC Sport. BBC. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Watters, David (16 November 2012). "Bucks lifeline for Hibs star". evostikleague.pitchero.com. Northern Premier League. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Grayson, James (2 July 2014). "Shaw Lane Aquaforce sign former Football League midfielder". nonleagueyorkshire.com. Non League Yorkshire. Retrieved 2 July 2014.