Matt Welsh (computer scientist)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alma mater||Cornell University|
University of California, Berkeley
|Thesis||An Architecture for Highly Concurrent, Well-Conditioned Internet Services (2002)|
|Doctoral advisor||David Culler|
Matthew David "Matt" Welsh is a computer scientist and software engineer at xnor.ai, which he joined after spending eight years at Google. He was the Gordon McKay Professor of Computer Science at Harvard University and author of several books about the Linux operating system, several Linux HOWTOs, the LinuxDoc format and articles in the Linux Journal.
Welsh received a BS from Cornell University in 1996 and MS and PhD degrees from the University of California, Berkeley in 1999 and 2002, respectively. He spent the 1996-7 school year at the University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory and at the University of Glasgow.
The Social Network
Welsh taught the operating system class at Harvard in which Mark Zuckerberg was a student. Welsh was later portrayed by actor Brian Palermo in the movie The Social Network featuring Zuckerberg and the founding of Facebook. Welsh was reportedly paid $200 for his powerpoint slides used in the movie.
- Dalheimer, Matthias Kalle; Welsh, Matt (2005). Running Linux (5th ed.). O'Reilly Media. ISBN 978-0596007607. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- Welsh, Matt; Hughes, Phil; Bandel, David; Beletsky, Boris; Dreilinger, Sean; Kiesling, Robert; Liebovitch, Evan; Pierce, Henry (1998) [1992-1996]. Linux Installation and Getting Started (2nd ed.). Specialized System Consultants. ISBN 1-57831-001-6. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- See footnotes below
- Google internal search for Matt Welsh at The Linux Documentation Project
- Announcement "Linuxdoc-SGML v1.1 now available" 1994-06-07
- Welsh, Matt; Kaufman, Lar (August 1996) . "About the authors". In Oram, Andy (ed.). Running Linux (2nd ed.). Sebastopol, California: O'Reilly & Associates. p. 631. ISBN 1-56592-151-8.
- Matt Welsh promoted to full professor; granted tenure
- Why I'm leaving Harvard
- Welsh, Matt. "NCSSM and how it saved my life". Volatile and Decentralized.
- "Matt Welsh". Harvard University. 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-11-17. Retrieved 2007-11-26.
- "NCSSM commencement speech".
- "In Defense of Mark Zuckerberg".
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|