Wisler pitching in the Fort Bragg Game in 2016
|Atlanta Braves – No. 45|
Born: September 12, 1992|
|June 19, 2015, for the Atlanta Braves|
|MLB statistics |
(through June 30, 2018)
|Earned run average||5.27|
San Diego Padres
Wisler was drafted by the San Diego Padres in the seventh round of the 2011 Major League Baseball Draft out of Bryan High School in his hometown. In his senior season, Wisler pitched to a 6–1 record, recording a 0.17 ERA and striking out 71 hitters over 42 innings, while allowing 13 hits and seven walks. He signed a national letter of intent to play college baseball with the Ohio State Buckeyes, but chose to sign with the Padres.
In 2012, pitching for the Fort Wayne TinCaps, Wisler went 5–4 with a 2.53 earned run average and 113 strikeouts in 114 innings pitched. He started 2013 with High-A Lake Elsinore, going 2–1 with a 2.03 ERA with 28 strikeouts in 31 innings. He was promoted to the Double-A San Antonio Missions on May 6, 2013.
The Padres invited Wisler to spring training in 2014, but he did not make the team. Wisler split the 2014 season between the Double A and Triple A levels, recording a 4.42 ERA, and 10–5 record, along with 136 strikeouts over 146 2⁄3 innings pitched with the Missions and El Paso Chihuahuas (giving up 21 home runs in 146.2 innings). In 2015, Wisler was again invited to spring training.
On April 5, 2015, he was traded to the Atlanta Braves, along with Carlos Quentin, Cameron Maybin, Jordan Paroubeck, and a draft pick, in exchange for Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton, Jr. He was then sent to Triple-A Gwinnett. On June 19, Wisler was called up to the major leagues, and that night he made his major league debut as the starting pitcher against New York Mets. He pitched eight innings to pick up the win, the first time a Braves pitcher had accomplished that in his debut since John Smoltz's debut performance. Wisler recorded a 9.49 ERA from August 1 to September 3, and was demoted to the bullpen. Fellow rookie pitchers Manny Banuelos and Mike Foltynewicz suffered injuries later that month, and Wisler was reinserted into the starting rotation. He started another five games to finish the season, and compiled a 2.33 ERA during that period. In Wisler's final start of the year, he pitched 8 2⁄3 innings of a 2–0 win against the St. Louis Cardinals. In 2015, he was 8–8 with a 4.71 ERA in 20 games (19 starts).
Wisler began the 2016 season third in the Braves starting rotation, making his season debut on April 8 against the Cardinals. On April 17, Wisler recorded his first major league save, helping the Braves secure a sweep of the Miami Marlins. He pitched effectively as a starter until May, recording a 3.16 ERA in ten starts. In his following ten starts, Wisler pitched to a 7.71 ERA and allowed 16 home runs. His batting average against also rose, and as a result, the Braves demoted Wisler to Gwinnett on July 28. The team announced on August 24 that Wisler would be recalled the next day to start against the Marlins. He pitched well against the Arizona Diamondbacks and San Diego Padres, and left the latter start with a strained oblique. In 2016, in AAA at Triple-A El Paso he was 9–5 record with a 5.01 ERA, and in the major leagues he was 7–13 in 27 games (26 starts) with a 5.00 ERA (giving up 26 home runs in 156.2 innings). In the offseason, Wisler pitched two games in the Dominican Winter League for Tigres del Licey.
While in the minor leagues, Wisler was known for his changeup. However, during his rookie year with the Braves, he began pairing his fastball with a slider instead, throwing his changeup on only 8.5% of pitches.
- Bowman, Mark (December 23, 2015). "Family time special for Wisler at holidays". MLB.com. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- Held, Chayse (July 28, 2015). "Wisler thriving in Major Leagues". Times Bulletin. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- Maffei, John (July 21, 2012). "MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL: Multi-level jump not too much for Padres' Wisler". U-T San Diego. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- Pleskoff, Bernie (June 26, 2015). "Scouting profile: Matt Wisler". MLB.com. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- "Bryan's Wisler signs with Ohio State". Bryan Times. December 24, 2010. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- Mika, Matt (August 21, 2014). "Top Dog: Matt Wisler on the Verge of Stardom". MILB.com. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- Brock, Corey. "Padres prospect Wisler moves to Double-A". MLB.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- Lin, Dennis. "Wisler a rookie to watch this spring". U-T San Diego. Retrieved June 22, 2015.
- Marshall, Ashley (April 5, 2015). "Padres send prospects, pick to Braves". MILB.com. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- O'Brien, David (April 5, 2015). "Braves deal Kimbrel, Upton to Padres". Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- Collazo, Carlos. "Braves call up prospect Wisler to start vs. Mets". MLB.com. Retrieved June 22, 2015.
- "Wisler shines in debut as Braves beat deGrom, Mets 2–1". ESPN.com. Retrieved June 22, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (September 17, 2015). "Wisler bears down after Jays' 4-run fourth". MLB.com. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (October 4, 2015). "Dominant start boosts Wisler's confidence". MLB.com. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- Matt Wisler Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
- Cunningham, Mchael (April 7, 2016). "Matt Wisler ready to pitch full season for Atlanta Braves". Albany Herald. Retrieved April 17, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (April 6, 2016). "'Big mistake' haunts Wisler, Braves". MLB.com. Retrieved April 17, 2016.
- "Smith's RBI in 10th helps Braves beat Marlins 6–5 for sweep". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 17, 2016. Retrieved April 17, 2016.
- Pace, Cody (July 19, 2016). "Wisler struggles second time through order". MLB.com. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (July 28, 2016). "Stung by HRs, Wisler sent back to Minors". MLB.com. Retrieved July 28, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (August 24, 2016). "Wisler being promoted after stint in Minors". MLB.com. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (October 29, 2016). "Wisler playing in Dominican League with something to prove". MLB.com. Retrieved October 29, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (April 23, 2017). "Wisler called up to provide fresh arm out of 'pen". Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Bowman, Mark (March 8, 2016). "Pitch variety key to Wisler's spring success". MLB.com. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Wisler.|