Matt Zoller Seitz
|Matt Zoller Seitz|
|Born||December 26, 1968|
|Residence||Bay Ridge, New York, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Southern Methodist University|
(m. 1994; died 2006)
Matt Zoller Seitz (born December 26, 1968) is an American film and television critic, author, and filmmaker.
Matt Zoller Seitz is editor-at-large at RogerEbert.com, and the television critic for New York magazine and Vulture.com. He was previously a television critic at Salon.com and The Newark Star Ledger, and a film critic for The New York Times. Prior to this he was a regular media columnist for the Dallas Observer. He founded the film & media criticism blog The House Next Door. Seitz is known as a leader in the creation of video essays, frequently featured on Moving Image Source and The L Magazine, and served as the publisher of PressPlay, a site for video-based film and television criticism. He was a finalist for the 1994 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism.
Seitz's second book, The Wes Anderson Collection, was published by Abrams Books in 2013. In February 2015, The Wes Anderson Collection: The Grand Budapest Hotel was published by Abrams Books. The Wes Anderson Collection was praised for its design and layout, which was intended to suggest the look and feel of an Anderson film and suggest that the reader was being taken on a tour of the filmmaker's imagination. "This book is the future," wrote Michael Sicinski in Cineaste. Mad Men Carousel: The Complete Critical Companion written by Seitz and with illustrations by Max Dalton was published by Abrams Books in November 2015.
He wrote, directed and edited the feature film, Home, in 2005.
Seitz resides in the Bay Ridge neighborhood of Brooklyn. He was married to Jennifer Dawson from 1994 until her death on April 27, 2006. They had two children, Hannah and James Seitz. Seitz married his second wife, Nancy Dawson, who is his first wife's sister, in February 2017.
- Brad Pitt (1996) (ISBN 978-0-6766-0074-2)
- The Wes Anderson Collection (2013) (ISBN 978-0-8109-9741-7)
- The Wes Anderson Collection: The Grand Budapest Hotel (2015) (ISBN 978-1-6131-2877-0)
- Mad Men Carousel: The Complete Critical Companion (2015) (ISBN 978-1-6131-2936-4)
- TV (The Book): Two Experts Pick the Greatest American Shows of All Time (2016), Matt Zoller Seitz and Alan Sepinwall (ISBN 978-1-4555-8820-6)
- The Oliver Stone Experience (2016) (ISBN 978-1-4555-8819-0)
- Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone (2017), Matt Zoller Seitz and Simon Abrams (ISBN 978-1-6838-3108-2)
- The Sopranos Sessions (2019), Matt Zoller Seitz and Alan Sepinwall
- Seitz, Matt Zoller (25 November 2010). "All the things that remind me of her". Salon. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Movies on my Birthday: A Partial List". RogerEbert.com. 26 December 2016. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- Matt Zoller Seitz Biography & Movie Reviews | Roger Ebert
- Moving Image Source
- The L Magazine - New York City's Local Event and Arts & Culture Guide | Articles & Archives | Matt Zoller Seitz
- The Pulitzer Prizes | Finalists
- The Wes Anderson Collection
- "The Wes Anderson Collection: The Grand Budapest Hotel - Pop Culture - Abrams & Chronicle". Abrams & Chronicle. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Matt Zoller Seitz on Twitter". Twitter. 20 August 2016.
- Sepinwall, Alan (28 April 2006). "Sad, Sad News". The House Next Door. Slant Magazine. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Matt Zoller Seitz on Twitter". Twitter. 15 February 2017. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- Douglas, James Robert (27 June 2014). "An Interview with Matt Zoller Seitz". The Lifted Brow. The Lifted Brow. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "The Wes Anderson Collection: The Grand Budapest Hotel". ABRAMS. ABRAMS. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Mad Men Carousel: The Complete Critical Companion". ABRAMS. ABRAMS. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Alan Sepinwall [@sepinwall] (27 January 2016). "TV (The Book), which I wrote with @mattzollerseitz, is now available for pre-order" (Tweet). Retrieved 28 January 2016 – via Twitter.
- O'Connell, Max (25 April 2014). "Oliver Stone to Get the Matt Zoller Seitz Treatment in New Book, 'The Oliver Stone Experience'". Indiewire. Indiewire.com. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Matt Zoller Seitz [@mattzollerseitz] (26 January 2016). "A spread from the ALEXANDER section of THE OLIVER STONE EXPERIENCE, now in the final editing stage" (Tweet). Retrieved 28 January 2016 – via Twitter.
- Simon Abrams [@simonsaybrams] (3 April 2017). "@mattzollerseitz & I have written a book about @RealGDT's DEVIL'S BACKBONE[...]" (Tweet). Retrieved 4 April 2017 – via Twitter.
- Matt Zoller Seitz [@mattzollerseitz] (22 January 2018). "From the style guide for the forthcoming book THE SOPRANOS SESSIONS, a team effort by @sepinwall and @mattzollerseitz, due in stores Jan 10, 2019" (Tweet). Retrieved 23 January 2018 – via Twitter.