Matt and Kim
|Matt and Kim|
Performing in Philadelphia (July 2010)
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, U.S.|
|Genres||Indie pop, lo-fi, indie rock|
|Labels||Fader Label, Harvest Records|
Matt and Kim is an American alternative dance duo from Brooklyn, New York. The group formed in 2004 and is composed of Matt Johnson (vocals/keyboards) and Kim Schifino (drums/backing vocals/vocals). They are known for their DIY attitude toward music.
Matt & Kim (2006)
Matt and Kim released their first album, Matt & Kim, on October 26, 2006. The album sold modestly, primarily at live shows. Many indie fans praised their music, and the two gained popularity through their many outgoing tours. Following the release of their first album, Matt and Kim began playing high profile music festivals, such as The Siren Music Festival and Lollapalooza.
On November 2, 2010, the duo released their third album, Sidewalks. Co-produced by Ben Allen, Oliver Strauss and Matt, the album as a whole adopted a more refined, yet dense hip-hop influence in comparison to the previous two, while still maintaining the upbeat and party-esque style they are known for.
Matt and Kim headlined two U.S. tours in support, in Fall 2010 and again during May/June 2011. They also played numerous festivals including Australia's Big Day Out, Japan's Fuji and V in the UK. In addition, they played at many American colleges, worked extensively through Europe and South America and, in Fall 2011, they supported Blink-182 and My Chemical Romance on select dates.
On June 22, 2012, Matt and Kim issued a brand new track, "Let's Go" as a digital single, meanwhile, the band put finishing touches on their fourth full length album, Lightning, released on October 2, 2012. Their single, "Let's Go", peaked at number 20 on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart. On June 25, 2012, the duo uploaded a video to their YouTube channel featuring ball handler Pat the Roc performing basketball tricks as "Let's Go" plays in full. On September 4, 2012, the duo released a lyric video for another new song on the album, "Now". On October 1, 2012, "Overexposed", "Not That Bad", "Much Too Late", "Ten Dollars I Found", "Tonight", "It's Alright", "I Said" and "I Wonder" were released on YouTube as official first listens. Matt and Kim premiered their official music video for "Let's Go" via the Funny or Die website in November.
The full-length album got a digital/CD/vinyl release on October 2, 2012 and the band began their official US Fall Lightning Tour the next day in Burlington, Vermont.
On February 5, 2013, Matt and Kim kicked off their US tour with Passion Pit. While on tour, the official music video for "It's Alright" was released on February 25, 2013, featuring Matt and Kim in a choreographed dance routine in bed. In March 2013 Matt and Kim wrapped their US tour and performed at Ultra Music Festival in Miami, Florida before heading to Australia for a three-week tour at the end of April to play Groovin' The Moo a festival that tours regional areas around Australia. Matt and Kim also played three sideshows as a part of this tour in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
In May, Matt and Kim announced their touring schedule for summer 2013, starting with a show at the Great GoogaMooga in Brooklyn, NY on May 18, 2013. In June, Matt and Kim performed at Free Press Summer Fest, Sandy Parts Festival, Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival, Firefly Music Festival, Summerfest and Party in the Park. In July, they played at the Keloha Music & Arts Fest and the Forecastle Festival. In August, they played at Lollapalooza in Chicago. In October, they played at Corona Capital, in Mexico City.
New Glow (2015-present)
On January 13, 2015, Matt and Kim released the single "Get It" in promotion of their fifth album. Along with this, they also released Spring tour dates, an album pre-order, and a lyric video to accompany the single. "Get It" received mixed reviews from fans as it ventures away from their past DIY sound. On February 10, 2015 Matt and Kim released the promotional video for the single "Hey Now" through their official VEVO Youtube account. On February 24, 2015, the band released "Hoodie On" through their official VEVO account. On April 7, 2015, Matt and Kim released the full album and held an in store performance at Amoeba Music's Hollywood store to celebrate. The duo will open at selected dates in Europe of American rock band Fall Out Boy's concert tour American Beauty/American Psycho Tour.
In popular culture
In 2009, their song "Daylight" was featured in a Bacardi commercial and a Mars Bar commercial. During credits of the second episode of Community the song "Daylight" plays. "Daylight" was used on the ending credits in Season 6 of the TV series Entourage and in the season 5 finale of the TV show Skins. On August 26, 2009, Matt & Kim played the song "Daylight" on Jimmy Kimmel Live!. The track is featured on NBA Live 10, and as a remixed version featuring De La Soul on FIFA 10. "Daylight" is also on the Need for Speed: Nitro soundtrack. The song also appeared in the game The Sims 3: World Adventures; re-recorded into Simlish, the gibberish language used in the game.
Their song "Cameras" was used in an advertisement for Tune Up in which they were also featured. "Cameras" was also used in the trailer for the Morgan Spurlock film The Greatest Movie Ever Sold and appears on its soundtrack album. Their song "Don't Slow Down" was used in commercials for the MTV series Underemployed and was also used in the first episode of the third Gossip Girl season. "Let's Go" was used in promos for the TV show The Mindy Project; on October 1, 2012, Matt and Kim performed the song on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Their song "Good Ol' Fashion Nightmare" was featured in the Community pilot. Their song "AM/FM Sound" was featured in the episode of Chuck, "Chuck Versus the Gobbler". In 2014, their song "It's Alright" was used in a Buick car commercial. In 2013 "It's Alright" from the Album "Lightning" was used in the teaser of CS50 fair 2013 which is a course offered by Harvard on-campus and online as well as for free on edX and is attended by millions from all over the world. Also in January 2015 their single "Get It" appeared in the series promo for the FXX show "Man Seeking Woman" 
In February 2015 their song "Don't Slow Down" was used in a commercial for Acura.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|Matt & Kim||—||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
|2006||"Yea Yeah"||—||—||Matt & Kim|
|"Good Ol' Fashion Nightmare"||—||—|
|2011||"Block After Block"||—||—|
|"Good for Great"||—||—|
|"I'm a Goner" (featuring Soulja Boy and Andrew W.K.)||—||—||Non-album single|
|2015||"Get It"||—||25||New Glow|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- This Was Supposed to Be a Celebration (2007, Mauled by Tigers)
- "Matt and Kim: The Lo-fi popsters". London: Independent.co.uk. October 2, 2009. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "Matt and Kim The Deli's reviews and interviews". Thedelimagazine.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "Lessons Learned with Matt from Matt and Kim". Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- Harding, Cortney."Rock - "Grand" Scheme". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- "Director's Cut: Matt and Kim's "mtvs-breakthrough-video-award/ "Matt and Kim Win MTV’s Breakthrough Video Award"], MVRemix.com, 14 September 2009.".
- "Sidewalks". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- "The WFNX Top 101 of 2011". WFNX. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- "LET'S GO - Out 6/25/12". Matt & Kim. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "Matt & Kim - LET'S GO - Official First Listen". Matt & Kim. Retrieved 2012-06-25.
- "Let's Go from Funny Or Die and Matt and Kim". Funnyordie.com. 2012-10-10. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- New York Music News."Matt And Kim to Tour with Passion Pit 2013". New York Music News. November 5, 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- "Matt And Kim’s Summer of Festivals". Pollstar.com. May 17, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-17.
- Staff LifeBoxset (2013-10-13). "La fiesta con Matt & Kim en el Corona Capital 2013". LifeBoxset.com. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- "Matt and Kim - Hey Now". YouTube.com. 2015-02-10. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- "Matt and Kim - Hoodie On (Lyric Video)". YouTube.com. 2015-02-23. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- "Skins - Music - Kyle's episode 8 blog". E4.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Need for Speed NITRO Goes Gold". Ea.com. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- "The Sims 3 World Adventures Gets an All-Star Soundtrack - PC News at IGN". Uk.pc.ign.com. 2009-10-13. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- /10:35c. "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon | NBC". Latenightwithjimmyfallon.com. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- Greenblatt, Leah. "What's That Song?: Cool Tunes in Recent Ads", Entertainment Weekly, June 12, 2009, p. 61.
- "Man Seeking Woman | "Love - Official Trailer" Ep.0 Sn.1". Fxnetworks.com. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History - Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History - Rock Albums". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History - Independent Albums". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History - Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History - Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "Music Charts, Music News, Artist Photo Gallery & Free Video". Billboard. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "RIAA - Gold & Platinum - January 10, 2011: "Daylight" certified awards". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt and Kim.|