Matta Flat, South Australia
|LGA(s)||Copper Coast Council|
|Federal Division(s)||Grey |
Matta Flat is a suburb of the town of Kadina on the Yorke Peninsula. It is located in the Copper Coast Council. The boundaries were formally gazetted in January 1999, although the name had long been in use for the area.
It was the location of the Matta Matta Mine, which operated from 1860 until 1870. In the 1860s, the mining company built an "elaborate underground drain" to remove mine seepage water from the low-lying Matta Flat area. The historic Matta House, now operated by the National Trust of South Australia as part of The Farm Shed Museum, was built just south of the mine as a house for mine manager Edward Austin Horn. Later, in 1871, the Matta Flat area was surveyed as one of four "occupation blocks" to meet high demand for housing near Wallaroo Mines. The Matta enginehouse chimney was demolished in May 1932, leading a newspaper correspondent to complain about the demolition of local landmarks.
- "Search result(s) for Matta Flat, 5554". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- Narungga (Map). Electoral District Boundaries Commission. 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "Search result(s) for Matta Flat, 5554". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. SA0038066. Archived from the original on 12 October 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Drew, Greg (1990). Discovering Historic Kadina, South Australia. Department of Mines and Energy and the District Council of Northern Yorke Peninsula. p. 31.
- Bailey, Keith (1990). Copper City Chronicle: A History of Kadina. p. 201.
- "Matta Matta House Museum (former Mine Manager's Dwelling)". South Australian Heritage Register. Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "The Farm Shed Museum". National Trust of Australia. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Drew, Greg (1990). Discovering Historic Kadina, South Australia. Department of Mines and Energy and the District Council of Northern Yorke Peninsula. p. 15.
- Bailey, Keith (1990). Copper City Chronicle: A History of Kadina. p. 155.
- "PHILO'S LETTER". The Kadina And Wallaroo Times. LXVI, (7511). South Australia. 14 May 1932. p. 1. Retrieved 6 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia.