|Date of birth||21 August 1989|
|Place of birth||Viareggio, Italy|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2008–2009||→ Pergocrema (loan)||0||(0)|
|2009–2010||→ Varese (loan)||15||(0)|
|2011–2012||→ Spezia (loan)||7||(0)|
|2012–2013||→ Vicenza (loan)||11||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20 March 2017 (UTC).
Born in Viareggio, Tuscany, Gentili was signed by Atalanta B.C. from Polisportiva Margine Coperta in 2004 in temporary deal, along with Michele Marconi, Leonardo Manni and Daniele Lonetti. In the next season he was signed definitely from the Massa e Cozzile based side. He was promoted to Atalanta B.C.'s Primavera U19 reserve team in 2006. In 2008, he left Atalanta for another Lombard club Pergocrema. Gentili made his senior debut in 2008–09 Coppa Italia, however he failed to play any game in 2008–09 Lega Pro Prima Divisione nor in 2008–09 Coppa Italia Lega Pro. In the next season he was transferred to another Lombard club Varese, also in the same division as Pergocrema. He won promotion with Varese. Atalanta kept Gentili for 2010–11 Serie B, however he only played once for the champions. In July he left for Ligurian club Spezia Calcio, but had an operation in his right ankle in the same month. Gentili won promotion again as champions. He also won 2012 Supercoppa di Lega di Prima Divisione, however he did not in the line-up nor the bench. On 28 August 2012 he left for Serie B struggler Vicenza which relegated in the last season but re-admitted to Serie B due to the expulsion of Lecce.
On 2 September 2013 Gentili was signed by Serie B club Reggina in a co-ownership deal. On 31 January 2014 he left for Vicenza (re-sold from Atalanta in another co-ownership deal). In January 2016 Gentili was released by the Veneto club.
- "Calcio Mercato 2004" [Football Transfer 2004] (PDF). Lega Calcio (in Italian). available in Wayback Machine. 31 August 2004. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 May 2005. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- Fullsoccer statistics (Italian)
- Spaccini, Luca (10 August 2008). "IL FOLIGNO BATTE IL PERGOCREMA 3 A 2 E FA SUO IL PRIMO TURNO DI COPPA ITALIA". Umbrialeft (in Italian). Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- "Mercato: Matteo Gentili, nuovo difensore aquilotto" (in Italian). Spezia Calcio. 7 July 2011. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- "Matteo Gentili, operato alla caviglia destra" (in Italian). Spezia Calcio. 20 July 2011. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- "GENTILI ALLA REGGINA" (in Italian). Atalanta B.C. 2 September 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Matteo Gentili in biancorosso" (in Italian). Vicenza Calcio. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Chiusura calciomercato gennaio 2016: tutte le operazioni" (in Italian). Vicenza Calcio. 1 February 2016. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "Tesserato Matteo Gentili" (in Italian). Carrarese Calcio. 14 February 2017. Retrieved 21 March 2017.