Matthew (given name)
|Name day||December 10th|
|Meaning||"Gift of Yahweh"|
|Nickname(s)||Matt, Matty, Mattie|
|Usage||Most Common usage of Matthew or Mathew in the English-speaking world|
|Related names||Matthias, Mathias, Mattias, Matias, Mattis, Matis, Mats, Mads|
|Popularity||see popular names|
The Hebrew name "מַתִּתְיָהוּ" (Matityahu) was transliterated into Greek to "Ματταθίας" (Mattathias), which was shortened to "Ματθαῖος" (Matthaios). The Greek Ματθαῖος was Latinised as Matthaeus, which became Matthew in English.
The name Matthew became popular during the Middle Ages in North-West Europe, and has been very common throughout the English-speaking world since the 1970s. In 2009, Matthew was ranked 23rd most popular name in Ireland, and then 24th most popular name in 2010. During 2014, it was the 17th most popular name in Ireland. In the United Kingdom, it was among the 10 most popular male names through the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, and was 9th as recently as 2001. Matthew has been in the top 1,000 most popular male names in Australia, Canada and United States.
List of people
- Matthew (surname)
- Matt (Mat)
- Matthæus (Matthaeus)
- Robert Horton Gundry. Matthew: A Commentary on His Handbook for a Mixed Church Under Persecution. p. 166.
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A Dictionary of First Names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford University Press, pp. 188–189, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1
- Information on the name Matthew
- Information on the name Matthew (2)
- Gospel of Matthew (Authorship and Sources)
- The Lives (Matthew)
- Luk 3:25 and Luk 3:26
- Information on the name Matthew (3)
- Irish Names: Matthew
- Most popular Irish male names in Ireland 2009-2010
- So, what were the most-popular baby names in Ireland last year?
- Popularity of the name