Matthew 1:1-9,12 on the recto side of Papyrus 1, written about AD 250.
|Book||Gospel of Matthew|
|Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Bible part||1|
Matthew 24 is the twenty-fourth chapter of the Gospel of Matthew in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. It records the Olivet Discourse spoken by Jesus Christ. The book containing this chapter is anonymous but early Christian tradition uniformly affirmed that Matthew the Apostle composed this Gospel.
- The original text is written in Koine Greek or Hebrew/Aramaic.
- Some most ancient manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- Codex Vaticanus (AD 325-350)
- Codex Sinaiticus (AD 330-360)
- Codex Bezae (ca. AD 400)
- Codex Washingtonianus (ca. AD 400)
- Codex Alexandrinus (ca. AD 400-440)
- Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus (ca. AD 450)
- Codex Purpureus Rossanensis (6th century)
- Codex Sinopensis (6th century; extant: verses 3-12)
- Papyrus 83 (6th century; extant: verses 1, 6)
- This chapter is divided into 51 verses.
This chapter can be grouped (with cross references to other parts of the Bible):
- Matthew 24:1-22 = Jesus Predicts the Destruction of the Temple (Mark 13:1-2; Luke 21:5-6)
- Matthew 24:3-14 = The Signs of the Times and the End of the Age (Mark 13:3-13; Luke 21:7-19)
- Matthew 24:15-28 = The Great Tribulation (Mark 13:14-23; Luke 21:20-24)
- Matthew 24:36-31 = The Coming of the Son of Man (Mark 13:24-27,32; Luke 21:25-28)
- Matthew 24:32-43 = The Parable of the Fig Tree (Mark 13:28-31; Luke 21:29-33)
- Matthew 24:37-44 = No One Knows the Day or Hour (Luke 17:26-30,34-36)
- Matthew 24:45-51 = The Faithful Servant and the Evil Servant (Luke 12:41-48)
- Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand)
- But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only.
- For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,
- and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.
- Abomination of desolation
- Noah's Ark
- Noah's Flood
- Olivet Discourse
- Other related Bible parts: Genesis 6, Genesis 7, Daniel 11, Daniel 12, Matthew 25, Mark 13, Luke 12, Luke 17, Luke 21, 2 Peter 3
- Halley, Henry H. Halley's Bible Handbook: an abbreviated Bible commentary. 23rd edition. Zondervan Publishing House. 1962.
- Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook. Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville, Tennessee. 2012.
- Matthew 24:15
- Matthew 24:36
- Matthew 24:37
- Matthew 24:38
- Matthew 24:39
|Chapters of the Bible
Gospel of Matthew