Matthew 7:27-8:28 on Codex Sinaiticus (AD 330-360).
|Book||Gospel of Matthew|
|Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Bible part||1|
Matthew 8 is the eighth chapter of the Gospel of Matthew in the New Testament and continues the narrative about Jesus' ministry in Galilee previously described in Matthew 4:23-25. It follows on from the Sermon on the Mount, noting in its opening verse that Jesus had come down from the mountain where he had been teaching. There is a renewed focus in this chapter on Jesus' ministry of healing.
- The original text is written in Koine Greek.
- Some most ancient manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- This chapter is divided into 34 verses.
This chapter can be grouped (with cross references to parallel texts in the other canonical gospels):
- Matthew 8:1-4 = Jesus cleansing a leper (Mark 1:40-45; Luke 13:1-23)
- Matthew 8:5-13 = Healing the centurion's servant (Luke 7:1-10; John 4:46-53)
- Matthew 8:14-15 = Healing the mother of Peter's wife (Mark 1:29-31; Luke 4:38-39)
- Matthew 8:16-17 = Jesus exorcising at sunset (Mark 1:32-34; Luke 4:40-41)
- Matthew 8:18-20 = The Cost of Discipleship: "The foxes have holes" (Luke 9:57-58)
- Matthew 8:21–22 = "Let the dead bury their own dead" (Luke 9:59-62)
- Matthew 8:23–27 = Calming the storm (Mark 4:35-41; Luke 8:22-25)
- Matthew 8:28–34 = Exorcism of the Gerasene or Gergesene demoniacs (Mark 5:1-20; Luke 8:26-39)
Anglican bishop Charles Ellicott commented that the events reported "are common to St. Mark and St. Luke, but are not narrated ... in the same order". Free Church minister William Robertson Nicoll suggested that "this collection is not arranged in chronological order. The connection is topical, not temporal." In his opinion these stories "are an integral part of the self-revelation of Jesus by word and deed; they are demonstrations not merely of His power, but above all, of His spirit".
- Book of Leviticus
- Related Bible parts: Leviticus 14, Joshua 10, Isaiah 53, Mark 1, Mark 4, Mark 5, Luke 4, Luke 5, Luke 7, Luke 8, Luke 9, John 4
| Chapters of the New Testament
Gospel of Matthew
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gospel of Matthew - Chapter 8.|