Matthew Carl Earl
|Matthew Carl Earl|
|Born||February 1, 1993|
Roseville, California, United States
|Occupation(s)||Composer, sound designer, multi-instrumentalist|
|Instruments||Piano, drums, guitar, flute, ukulele, mandolin, penny whistle, recorder, bagpipes|
Matthew Carl Earl (born February 1, 1993) is an American video game composer, multi-instrumentalist, and sound designer, best known for his work on Arena of Valor. He is the lead composer at Hexany Audio and a member of the metal band Xanthochroid.
Early life and influences
Earl was born and raised in Roseville, California. He began learning the piano at six years old and the drums at twelve years old. He also began playing video games on the Nintendo 64. During middle school, he began playing the guitar and was a member of his school's jazz band. In high school, he was influenced by metal bands Nile and Decapitated. He became a member of his school's drum line and chorus and began composing pieces for the chorus. While attending Dana Hills High School, he undertook a three-year apprenticeship at a local music production studio. He also began playing the flute, penny whistle, ukulele, mandolin, recorder, and bagpipes. At 17 years old, he began teaching the variety of instruments at a local music studio.
He cites Neal Acree as one of his biggest musical influences, in addition to John Williams, John Powell, Giacomo Puccini, Henry Purcell, John Rutter, and Eric Whitacre; and metal bands, including Moonsorrow and Dimmu Borgir. He also cites World of Warcraft as inspiring him to focus on music composition and sound design for video games, rather than film and television, and Mick Gordon as inspiration specifically for video game composition.
Upon leaving college, Earl began composing for trailers, films, and video games, before transitioning into fantasy games, indie titles, and sound design. He also joined the metal band Xanthochroid, whose albums include Incultus, Blessed He with Boils, Of Erthe and Axen Act I, and Of Erthe and Axen Act II.
In 2014, Earl joined Hexany Audio. In 2016, he became their lead composer and co-owner along with Richard Ludlow. He has served as composer and sound designer on multiple video games since, including Zula, Winterflame: The Other Side, King's Quest, the Assassin's Creed Syndicate trailer spot, Into the Stars, The Arcslinger, and Moonlight Blade: Moonlight Over the Sea. In 2017, he composed the score for the highly anticipated North American release of Arena of Valor. In 2018, he co-composed the score for Colina: Legacy and along with the game's release, the soundtrack was released by Materia Collective. It consisted of 22 tracks. Earl cited Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill composition as inspiration for the track.
|2014||The Last Anteater||Composer|
|2015||Adult Swim Zombocalypse||Composer|
|Time Zombies VR||Composer|
|Billiards Shoot Master||Composer|
|Winterflame: The Other Side||Composer|
|King's Quest||Sound Designer|
|Assassin's Creed Syndicate||Composer||Trailer spot|
|2016||MobilityWare Vegas Blvd Slots||Composer|
|MobilityWare Sunny Shapes||Composer|
|VR ATV Arcade||Composer|
|MobilityWare Block Party Bingo||Composer|
|PlanktOs: Crystal Guardians VR||Composer|
|MobilityWare 52 Card Pickup||Composer|
|Kubo and the Two Strings: Moon Beast Brawl||Composer|
|Barking Irons VR||Composer|
|Moonlight Blade: Romantic Destiny||Composer|
|Universal Studios: The Repository VR||Composer, Sound Designer|
|Into the Stars||Lead Sound Designer|
|The Arcslinger||Sound Editor|
|MobilityWare Match and Rescue||Composer|
|City of Games||Composer|
|Knott’s Berry Farm Showdown in Ghostown VR||Composer|
|Honor of Kings||Composer|
|The Legend of Xuan Yuan||Composer|
|Buzzer Beater Basketball Trivia||Composer|
|Full Count Baseball Trivia||Composer|
|Fourth Down Football Trivia||Composer|
|Moonlight Blade: Moonlight Over the Sea||Composer||Nominated: Hollywood Music in Media Award for Original Score in a Video Game|
|2018||The Glory of Loong||Composer|
|Arena of Valor||Composer||Won: Game Audio Network Guild Award for Best Music in a Casual/Social Game: Strike of Kings / Realm of Valor / (aka Arena of Valor)|
|Overwatch Contenders Tournament||Composer|
|Firewall: Zero Hour||Technical Audio Support|
|Rules of Survival||Additional Music|
Awards and nominations
In 2017, Earl was nominated for a Hollywood Music in Media Award for Original Score in a Video Game for his work on Moonlight Blade: Moonlight Over the Sea. That same year, he was nominated for a Best Music for the China Game Developers Award for Kingdom Craft.
- "About – Matthew Carl Earl". Hexany Audio. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Matthew Earl – Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives". www.metal-archives.com. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Interview with Arena of Valor Composer, Matthew Carl Earl". The Sound Architect. 2018-02-18. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Composer Matthew Carl Earl Discusses Contributing Music to Video Games Such as Arena of Valor & Assassin's Creed Syndicate | ThatMomentIn". ThatMomentIn. 2018-02-01. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "INTERVIEW: Composers Of Colina: Legacy Create Haunting Horror Music · Horror". Monkeys Fighting Robots. 2018-10-05. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Interview: Arena Of Valor Composer Matthew Carl Earl, Creating Music for Video Games". GameTyrant. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Sound of Play: 127 - The videogame music podcast". Cane and Rinse. 2018-01-03. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Xanthochroid - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives". www.metal-archives.com. Retrieved 2018-03-30.
- "Hexany Audio | Berklee College of Music". www.berklee.edu. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "74: Follow these Core Values to Compose Great Music with Matthew Earl". Game Dev Loadout. 2017-12-27. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Zula (Video Game 2015)". IMDb. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- "Video game composer Matthew Carl Earl discusses 'Arena of Valor' score & more - Nerd Reactor". Nerd Reactor. 2018-01-12. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Matthew Carl Earl: Arena of Valor Mix". NPR. 2018-02-01. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- Remington, Kate. "Matthew Carl Earl's Music Gets Arena Of Valor Players Stoked For Battle". Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Exclusive: Listen to three tracks from the Arena of Valor score". Flickering Myth. 2017-12-22. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Chance6 Studios' horror video game 'COLINA: Legacy' getting official score release - Nerd Reactor". Nerd Reactor. 2018-10-22. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Interview With 'COLINA: Legacys Composers Matthew Carl Earl & Jason Walsh Of Hexany Audio - horrorfuel.com". horrorfuel.com. 2018-10-15. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Matthew Carl Earl". IMDb. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Matthew Carl Earl". SoundCloud. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Moonlight Blade: Moonlight Over the Sea Music Preview". Vimeo. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Arena of Valor". Arena of Valor. Retrieved 2018-03-30.
- "2017 Awards". www.audiogang.org. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "Hollywood Music in Media Awards: Full Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- Costa, Ray (2017-10-26). "Hollywood Music in Media Awards Announces Nominees in Film, TV, & Video Game Music" (PDF). HMM Awards. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "《乱世王者》参评2017CGDA最佳游戏音乐奖_游戏狗新闻". news.gamedog.cn. Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- "Interview: Behind the Music & Effects of 'COLINA: Legacy' & 'Ring of Elysium'". TVOvermind. 2018-10-17. Retrieved 2018-11-08.