|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Headquarters||Bristol, United Kingdom|
Number of employees
Matthew Clark is a United Kingdom based drinks distributor, owned by Conviviality Plc. Founded in 1810, the business primarily serves public houses, restaurants, bars and hotels within the mainland UK.
The company was formed in 1810 by Matthew Clark, the son of Charles Clark, Inspector General of Imported Liquors and Distillery at the Port of London and later Merchants' Gauger of wines and spirits for the City of London merchants. It was known for most of its history as a City of London wine and spirit importer called Matthew Clark and Sons. Six generations of the Clark/Gordon Clark family worked in it while it was an independent company. It was originally based in Great Tower Street, then from 1925 at 14 Trinity Square, Tower Hill, from 1956 at Walbrook House, and from 1972 at the Finsbury Distillery, the premises of the firm of that name, manufacturers of Stone’s Ginger wine, taken over in 1964. The Leeds-based firm of J. E. Mather, manufacturer of "Barchester British Wine", was taken over 1965-7. But the main business of the firm was that of representing foreign companies, principally from 1814 J. & F. Martell of Cognac, the great French brandy house, John DeKuyper & Son of Rotterdam, manufacturers of gin, by 1827, and up to 1925 Pedro Domecq, the sherry producers of Jerez de la Frontera. The archives of the firm were deposited in the Guildhall Library and are now in the London Metropolitan Archives; they are of considerable interest for the history of the wine and spirit trade in the 19th and early 20th century.
- Grants of St James's
- Gaymer Cider Company
- Taunton Cider Company
- Dunn and Moore
In January 2011 Constellation Brands Inc divested 80% of its European business, Constellation Europe, along with its sister company, Constellation Wines Australia, to Australian private equity company, CHAMP Private Equity. Subsequently, in 2011 Constellation Europe and Constellation Wines Australia together became Accolade Wines.
Matthew Clark current operates within the 'Conviviality Direct' business unit of Conviviality Plc which, along with the Bibendum brand, serves over 23,000 outlets, consisting of national chains to independent food-led pubs and restaurants. Matthew Clark is currently based in Bristol, where its Head Office is located. It has a sales force of over 230 employees deployed across the country. Matthew Clark offers a range of over 7,000 alcohol lines with next day delivery.
- H. H. Gordon Clark, The Family of Clark, privately printed 1925
- H H Gordon Clark, op. cit.
- Times Digital Archive for summary of firm's annual reports
- unpublished notes on history of firm by H H Gordon Clark in firm's archives
- "About Us". Matthew Clark. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- "Conviviality deal with Matthew Clark clears last hurdle". The Drinks Business. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "Completion of acquisition and change of name" (PDF). Conviviality Plc. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-12-22. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- Conviviality plc (2016). "Conviviality Plc Annual Report and Accounts 2016" (PDF). Conviviality plc Income Statement. Conviviality plc. Retrieved 5 February 2017.