Matthew Clarke (footballer, born 1996)
|Full name||Matthew Edward Barkell Clarke|
|Date of birth||22 September 1996|
|Place of birth||Barham, Suffolk, England|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2015–2016||→ Portsmouth (loan)||29||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23:58, 16 March 2019 (UTC)|
Born in Barham, Suffolk, Clarke joined Ipswich Town academy as an U7 and signed a scholarship with the club in the summer of 2013. He was included in the main squad for the pre-season in the following year.
Clarke made his professional debut for the club on 12 August 2014, starting as a left back in a 0–1 Football League Cup away loss against Crawley Town. On 11 September he signed a two-year professional deal with the club.
On 2 September 2015, Clarke signed a new two-year contract at Ipswich Town, contracting him to the club until June 2017. His loan deal at Portsmouth was subsequently extended until the end of the season in January 2016.
Clarke signed a permanent three-year deal with Pompey on 1 July 2016, after a swap with Ipswich for Adam Webster was agreed. Despite suffering an injury at the end of the 2015–16 campaign which ruled him out of the opening weeks of the new campaign, he established himself as one of Portsmouth's most reliable performers as they won the 2016–17 League Two title. His partnership with Christian Burgess ensured that Portsmouth conceded the fewest league goals over the course of the season, letting in just 40 goals in 46 matches.
On 14 February 2018, after remaining a regular starter, Clarke extended his contract until 2020.
- As of 16 March 2019
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Portsmouth (loan)||2015–16||League Two||29||1||2||0||2||0||0||0||33||1|
- EFL League Two: 2016-17
- Portsmouth F.C. Player's Player of the Season: 2017-18
- "Professional Retain List & Free Transfers" (PDF). The Football League. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Youngster Clarke Getting Better and Better". TWTD. 14 January 2014. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Matthew Clarke". Portsmouth F.C. Retrieved 24 January 2019.
- "Crawley 1–0 Ipswich". BBC Sport. 12 August 2014. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "New deals for Bishop and Clarke". Ipswich Town FC. 11 September 2014. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Ipswich boss expects Matt Clarke Pompey loan agreement". Portsmouth News. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Clarke arrives on loan". Portsmouth FC. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Matt Clarke to make Portsmouth move permanent" (in Spanish). Sky Sports. 6 June 2016. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "CLARKE: WHAT A RELIEF - News - Portsmouth". Retrieved 2018-04-02.
- "Matt Clarke: Portsmouth defender signs new contract until 2020". BBC Sport. 14 February 2018. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- Matthew Clarke at Soccerway
- "Clarke Named Players' Player Of The Season". Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- Matthew Clarke at Soccerbase
|This biographical article related to English football is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|