Goode at the 2014 Toronto Film Festival
Matthew William Goode
3 April 1978
|Alma mater||University of Birmingham|
Sophie Dymoke (m. 2014)
|Relatives||Sally Meen (maternal half-sister)|
Matthew William Goode (born 3 April 1978) is an English actor. He made his screen debut in 2002 with ABC's TV film feature Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. His breakthrough role was in the romantic comedy, Chasing Liberty (2004), for which he received a nomination at Teen Choice Awards for Choice Breakout Movie Star – Male. He then appeared in a string of supporting roles in films like Woody Allen's Match Point (2005), the German-British romantic comedy Imagine Me and You (2006), and the period drama Copying Beethoven (2006). He won praise for his performance as Charles Ryder in Julian Jarrold's adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited (2008), and as Ozymandias in the American neo-noir superhero film Watchmen (2009), based on DC Comics' limited series of the same name. He then starred in romantic comedy Leap Year (2010) and Australian drama Burning Man (2011), the latter earning him a nomination for Best Actor at the Film Critics Circle of Australia Awards.
Other notable film roles include The Lookout (2007), A Single Man (2009), Cemetery Junction (2010), Stoker (2013), Belle (2013), The Imitation Game (2014) and Self/less (2015). As well as appearing in films, Goode has appeared in numerous television shows. His most notable television roles include Henry Talbot in the final season of historical drama Downton Abbey, and Finley "Finn" Polmar in the CBS legal drama The Good Wife. He also had a lead role in the critically acclaimed British mini-serial Dancing on the Edge, as music journalist Stanley Mitchell, for which he earned a nomination for Best Actor in a Miniseries or a Television Film at the Satellite Awards. In 2017, Goode portrayed Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon in the Netflix biographical drama series The Crown, for which he received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Guest Star in a Drama Series. He currently stars in Sky One's fantasy-romance series, A Discovery of Witches, as Professor Matthew Clairmont and is filming Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman prequel, The King's Man.
Goode was born in Exeter, Devon. His father, Anthony, was a geologist and his mother, Jennifer, is a nurse and amateur theatre director. Goode is the youngest of five children with a brother, two half-brothers, and a half-sister, television presenter Sally Meen, from his mother's previous marriage. He grew up in the village of Clyst St. Mary, near Exeter. Goode was educated at Exeter School, an independent school in Exeter, Devon, followed by the University of Birmingham and London's Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art.
Goode played Peter Lynley, the brother of Inspector Lynley in the BBC production Inspector Lynley Mysteries: A Suitable Vengeance and co-starred in the TV film Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, based on the Gregory Maguire novel of the same name and William Shakespeare's play The Tempest. In 2004, Goode made his American film debut opposite Mandy Moore in the romantic comedy Chasing Liberty.
Goode co-starred in Woody Allen's thriller Match Point, opposite Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Scarlett Johansson, Ol Parker's romantic comedy Imagine Me & You, opposite Piper Perabo and Lena Headey, the TV film My Family and Other Animals, opposite Imelda Staunton, the biographical-musical drama Copying Beethoven, opposite Ed Harris and Diane Kruger and Scott Frank's crime drama The Lookout opposite Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He had a whimsical take on Brooke Burgess in the BBC miniseries He Knew He Was Right based upon Anthony Trollope's novel of the same name.
In 2008, Goode starred in the drama film Brideshead Revisited as Charles Ryder, based on Evelyn Waugh's novel of the same name. In 2009, Goode co-starred opposite Malin Akerman in Zack Snyder's superhero film Watchmen as Ozymandias/Adrian Veidt, and co-starred opposite Colin Firth in the drama film A Single Man, based on Christopher Isherwood's novel of the same name. In 2010, he co-starred opposite Amy Adams in the romantic comedy Leap Year.
In 2013, Goode played the lead in the BBC Two drama Dancing on the Edge, as magazine columnist Stanley Mitchell. That same year, he co-starred opposite Mia Wasikowska and Nicole Kidman in the psychological thriller film Stoker.
Also in 2013, Goode co-starred as George Wickham opposite Matthew Rhys in the three-part BBC murder mystery miniseries Death Comes to Pemberley, based on P. D. James' novel of the same name, and a spin-off of the 1995 drama miniseries Pride and Prejudice to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the publication of Jane Austen's novel of the same name. In 2014, he appeared in the historical thriller The Imitation Game as Hugh Alexander, a British Second World War cryptanalyst and chess champion.
In March 2014, Goode joined the cast of the CBS legal drama The Good Wife as Finley "Finn" Polmar, a state prosecutor. Replacing Will Gardner during the fifth season, he made his debut in the 15th episode, "Dramatics, Your Honor", in which Josh Charles's character was killed off. In May 2015, Goode left The Good Wife after the sixth season's finale.
In 2014, Goode co-starred in the ITV drama Downton Abbey during the Season 5 Christmas special "A Moorland Holiday" as Henry Talbot. He returned to Downton Abbey in October 2015 beginning in the fourth episode of the sixth season. Goode also made a brief appearance in the Downton Abbey film which was released in 2019.
After appearing in multiple films in the mid-2010s, he appeared in 2016's Allied. He began working on WGN's production of Roadside Picnic series based on the Strugatsky novel in autumn 2016, but the pilot was cancelled.
In 2017, Goode began production on a television adaptation of Deborah Harkness's bestselling All Souls trilogy for Sky One in the United Kingdom. The show, titled A Discovery of Witches, takes its title from the series' first book. He plays the lead role of Professor Matthew Clairmont, an Oxford molecular biologist and vampire. The show was first broadcast in the UK on 14 September 2018, and has been renewed for two more series based on the strength of its first airing in the United Kingdom where it was consistently the network's most-watched show each week for its 8-episode run.
Early in 2019, it was announced that Goode would be joining an all-star cast for the prequel to Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman series, entitled The King's Man. His role is still unknown, but it is reported to take place sometime around the early 20th century and will cover the origin story of the Kingsman spy organization from their time as ordinary London tailors. The film is scheduled for a 18 September 2020 release date.
Goode has been in a relationship with Sophie Dymoke since 2005. They married in 2014. They have two daughters, Matilda Eve  (b. March 2009) and Teddie Eleanor Rose (b. September 2013), and a son, Ralph (b. August 2015).
|2003||Al sur de Granada (South of Granada)||Gerald Brenan|
|2004||Chasing Liberty||Ben Calder|
|2005||Match Point||Tom Hewett|
|2006||Imagine Me & You||Hector|
|2006||Copying Beethoven||Martin Bauer|
|2007||The Lookout||Gary Spargo|
|2008||Brideshead Revisited||Charles Ryder|
|2009||A Single Man||Jim|
|2010||Leap Year||Declan O'Callaghan|
|2010||Cemetery Junction||Mike Ramsay|
|2013||Belle||Captain Sir John Lindsay|
|2014||The Imitation Game||Hugh Alexander|
|2017||The Sense of an Ending||Joe Hunt|
|2017||The Hatton Garden Job||XXX|
|2017||The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales...||Wolf (voice)||English dub|
|2018||The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society||Sidney Stark|
|2019||Official Secrets||Peter Beaumont|
|2019||Downton Abbey||Henry Talbot|
|2020||Four Kids and It||David Hartlepool|
|2020||The King's Man||Tristan||Post-production|
|2002||Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister||Caspar||Television film|
|2003||The Inspector Lynley Mysteries||Peter Lynley||Episode: "A Suitable Vengeance"|
|2004||He Knew He Was Right||Brooke Burgess||2 episodes|
|2005||Agatha Christie's Marple||Patrick Simmons||Episode: "A Murder Is Announced"|
|2005||My Family and Other Animals||Larry Durrell||Television film|
|2012||Birdsong||Captain Gray||Lead role, 2 episodes|
|2012||The Poison Tree||Rex Clarke||Lead role, 2 episodes|
|2013||Dancing on the Edge||Stanley Mitchell||Lead role, 6 episodes|
|2013||Death Comes to Pemberley||George Wickham||Lead role, 3 episodes|
|2014–2015||The Good Wife||Finley "Finn" Polmar||Main role (Seasons 5-6), 28 episodes|
|2014–2015||Downton Abbey||Henry Talbot||Guest role (Season 5), Main role (Season 6), 7 episodes|
|2016||The Wine Show||Himself||Co-host with Matthew Rhys|
|2016||Roots||Dr. William Waller||Lead role, 2 episodes|
|2017||The Crown||Antony Armstrong-Jones||3 episodes|
|2018||Ordeal by Innocence||Philip Durrant||Lead role, 3 episodes|
|2018–present||A Discovery of Witches||Matthew Clairmont||Lead role, 8 episodes|
- "Matthew Goode". TV Guide. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "'The Crown' Producers Cast 'Downton Abbey' Star Matthew Goode As Lord Snowdon For Series 2". Huffington Post. 24 January 2017.
- Ouzounian, Richard (8 September 2011). "The Big Interview: Matthew Goode is burning his way to the top". The Toronto Star. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Mystery man who's making all the right moves". Independent.co.uk. 22 April 2012.
- "Brideshead revitalised". The Guardian. 21 September 2008.
- "BBC – Death Comes to Pemberley – Media Centre".
- Fallon, Kevin (24 November 2014). "From 'The Good Wife' to 'The Imitation Game': Matthew Goode Wages His Charm Offensive". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- Bierly, Mandi (27 March 2014). "'The Good Wife': Julianna Margulies explains how she negotiated Josh Charles' season 5 contract". Entertainment Weekly.
- Gelman, Vlada (28 March 2014). "TVLine Items: Good Wife Ups Goode, Neighbours Star Books Pilot, Clinton Visits Kimmel and More". TVLine.
- Abrams, Natalie (3 December 2013). "Matthew Goode Heads to The Good Wife". TV Guide.
- Ausiello, Michael (3 December 2013). "The Good Wife Exclusive: Matthew Goode to 'Befriend' Alicia in Big Recurring Role". TVLine.
- Thomas, Kaitlin (29 March 2014). "News Briefs: The Good Wife Promotes Matthew Goode to Series Regular". TVLine.
- "Matthew Goode is Leaving the Good Wife, Crushing Our Dreams in the Process". 22 May 2015.
- Battersby, Matilda (25 December 2014). "Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually". The Independent.
- "Matthew Goode confirmed for Downton Abbey movie – but he says he will only be "popping in at the end"". Radio Times. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Matthew Goode's Roadside Picnic Pilot Won't Move Forward at WGN America". TVLine.com. 25 January 2017.
- "Goode Times".
- "Photos of Matthew and Sophie together at Match Point Premiere in Dec' 2005".
- "'Downton Abbey's' Allen Leech and Matthew Goode Have Fun on 'The Imitation Game'".
- Billen, Andrew (31 March 2018). "Ordeal by Innocence: the Christie Mystery that almost got away". The Times (72497). Saturday Review. pp. 4–5. ISSN 0140-0460.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matthew Goode.|
- News Week interview (21 April 2006)
- Sydney Morning Herald interview (1 March 2006)
- Sunday Herald interview (1 January 2006)
- USA Today interview (8 January 2004)
- LOVEFiLM Blog Matthew Goode at the London Film Festival screening of A Single Man (Oct 2009)