Goode at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival, September 2014
|Born||Matthew William Goode
3 April 1978
Exeter, Devon, England
|Partner(s)||Sophie Dymoke (2007–present)|
|Relatives||Sally Meen (half-sister)|
Matthew William Goode (born 3 April 1978) is an English actor. His films include Chasing Liberty (2004), Match Point (2005), Imagine Me and You (2005), Brideshead Revisited (2008), Watchmen (2009), A Single Man (2009), Leap Year (2010), Stoker (2013) and The Imitation Game (2014). In 2014, he joined the cast of the CBS legal drama The Good Wife as Finley "Finn" Polmar.
Goode was born in Exeter, Devon. His father is a geologist and his mother, Jennifer, is a nurse and amateur theatre director. Goode is the youngest of five children with a brother, two half brothers, and a half sister, television presenter Sally Meen, from his mother's previous marriage. He grew up in the village of Clyst St. Mary, near Exeter.
Goode played Peter Lynley, the brother of Inspector Lynley in the BBC production Inspector Lynley Mysteries: A Suitable Vengeance and co-starred in the TV film Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, based on the Gregory Maguire novel of the same name and William Shakespeare's play The Tempest. In 2004, Goode made his American film debut opposite Mandy Moore in the romantic comedy Chasing Liberty, as the love interest of Moore's character.
Goode co-starred in Woody Allen's thriller Match Point, opposite Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Scarlett Johansson, Ol Parker's romantic comedy Imagine Me & You, opposite Piper Perabo and Lena Headey, the TV film My Family and Other Animals, opposite Imelda Staunton, the biographical-musical drama Copying Beethoven, opposite Ed Harris and Diane Kruger and Scott Frank's crime drama The Lookout opposite Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He had a whimsical take on Brooke Burgess in the BBC miniseries He Knew He Was Right based upon Anthony Trollope's novel of the same name.
In 2008, Goode starred in the drama film Brideshead Revisited as Charles Ryder. It was based on Evelyn Waugh's novel of the same name. In 2009, Goode co-starred opposite Malin Akerman in Zack Snyder's superhero film Watchmen as Ozymandias/Adrian Veidt, and co-starred opposite Colin Firth in the drama film A Single Man, based on Christopher Isherwood's novel of the same name. In 2010, he co-starred opposite Amy Adams in the romantic comedy Leap Year.
In 2013, Goode played the lead in the critically acclaimed, but short-lived BBC Two drama Dancing on the Edge, as magazine columnist Stanley Mitchell. That same year, he co-starred opposite Mia Wasikowska and Nicole Kidman in the psychological thriller film Stoker.
Also in 2013, Goode co-starred as George Wickham opposite Matthew Rhys in the three-part BBC murder mystery miniseries Death Comes to Pemberley, based on P. D. James' novel of the same name, and a spin-off of the 1995 drama miniseries Pride and Prejudice to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the publication of Jane Austen's novel of the same name.
In March 2014, Goode joined the cast of the CBS legal drama The Good Wife during the fifth season replacing Josh Charles, who played Will Gardner as Finley "Finn" Polmar, a State prosecutor. He made his debut in the fifteenth episode titled "Dramatics, Your Honor" in which Will was killed off. That same year, he co-starred in the historical thriller The Imitation Game as Hugh Alexander, a British Second World War cryptanalyst and chess champion.
|2002||Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister||Caspar||Television film|
|2003||Al sur de Granada (South of Granada)||Gerald Brenan|
|2004||Chasing Liberty||Ben Calder|
|2005||Match Point||Tom Hewett|
|2005||My Family and Other Animals||Larry Durrell||Television film|
|2006||Imagine Me & You||Hector|
|2006||Copying Beethoven||Martin Bauer|
|2007||Lookout, TheThe Lookout||Gary Spargo|
|2008||Brideshead Revisited||Charles Ryder|
|2009||Single Man, AA Single Man||Jim|
|2010||Leap Year||Declan O'Callaghan|
|2010||Cemetery Junction||Mike Ramsay|
|2013||Belle||Captain Sir John Lindsay|
|2014||The Imitation Game||Hugh Alexander|
|2003||The Inspector Lynley Mysteries||Peter Lynley||Episode: "A Suitable Vengeance"|
|2004||He Knew He Was Right||Brooke Burgess||2 episodes|
|2005||Agatha Christie's Marple||Patrick Simmons||Episode: "A Murder Is Announced "|
|2012||Birdsong||Captain Gray||Lead role, 2 episodes|
|2012||The Poison Tree||Rex Clarke||Lead role, 2 episodes|
|2013||Dancing on the Edge||Stanley Mitchell||Lead role, 6 episodes|
|2013||Death Comes to Pemberley||George Wickham||Lead role, 3 episodes|
|2014–2015||The Good Wife||Finley "Finn" Polmar||Series regular|
|2014||Downton Abbey||Henry Talbot||Episode: "A Moorland Holiday" (2014 Christmas Special)|
|2004||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Breakout Movie Star - Male||Chasing Liberty||Nominated|
|Choice Movie Liar||Nominated|
|2012||Film Critics Circle of Australia Awards||Best Actor - Leading Role||Burning Man||Nominated|
|2013||Australian Film Institute||Best Lead Actor||Nominated|
|2014||Satellite Awards||Best Actor in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television||Dancing on the Edge||Nominated|
- Ouzounian, Richard (8 September 2011). "The Big Interview: Matthew Goode is burning his way to the top". The Toronto Star. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- Bierly, Mandi (27 March 2014). "'The Good Wife': Julianna Margulies explains how she negotiated Josh Charles' season 5 contract". Entertainment Weekly.
- Gelman, Vlada (28 March 2014). "TVLine Items: Good Wife Ups Goode, Neighbours Star Books Pilot, Clinton Visits Kimmel and More". TVLine.
- Abrams, Natalie (3 December 2013). "Matthew Goode Heads to The Good Wife". TV Guide.
- Ausiello, Michael (3 December 2013). "The Good Wife Exclusive: Matthew Goode to 'Befriend' Alicia in Big Recurring Role". TVLine.
- Thomas, Kaitlin (29 March 2014). "News Briefs: The Good Wife Promotes Matthew Goode to Series Regular". TVLine.
- Fallon, Kevin (24 November 2014). "From ‘The Good Wife’ to ‘The Imitation Game’: Matthew Goode Wages His Charm Offensive". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- Battersby, Matilda (25 December 2014). "Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually". The Independent.
- Alice Fisher (21 September 2008). "Brideshead revitalised". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Joan Wagner (6 January 2010). "Matthew Goode's leap year". Oprah.com. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matthew Goode.|
- News Week interview (21 April 2006)
- Sydney Morning Herald interview (1 March 2006)
- Sunday Herald interview (1 January 2006)
- USA Today interview (8 January 2004)
- LOVEFiLM Blog Matthew Goode at the London Film Festival screening of A Single Man (Oct 2009)