Matthew Gray Gubler
|Matthew Gray Gubler|
First on the left in the bottom row
March 9, 1980 |
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
|Alma mater||Tisch School of Arts|
|Occupation||Actor, director, fashion model, voice actor, artist|
Matthew Gray Gubler (born March 9, 1980) is an American actor, director, fashion model and painter. He is best known for his role as criminal profiler Dr. Spencer Reid in the CBS television show Criminal Minds (2005–present), of which he has also directed ten episodes. Gubler has appeared in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, (500) Days of Summer, Life After Beth, Suburban Gothic, and as the voice of Simon in Alvin and the Chipmunks and its three sequels.
Gubler was born on March 9, 1980, in Las Vegas, Nevada, the son of Marilyn (née Kelch), a rancher and political consultant, and John Gubler, an attorney. Gubler is a high school graduate of the Las Vegas Academy of International Studies, Visual and Performing Arts, where he majored in acting, because the school did not offer his first choice, Filmmaking. He is a graduate of New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, where he majored in film directing.
While at NYU film school, Gubler was found by a model scout and then worked as a model with DNA Model Management for Tommy Hilfiger, Marc Jacobs, and American Eagle, among others. He was ranked 46th on models.com list of top 50 male models.
After he began modeling, Gubler had an internship with Wes Anderson, who encouraged him to audition for a part in his movie The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Gubler did, and landed the role of Nico (a.k.a. Intern #1). This then led in 2005 to his leading role as Dr. Spencer Reid in Criminal Minds.
Gubler had a small role in the film RV (2006) as the disreputable Joe Joe. He voiced the character of Simon (the smart Chipmunk) in Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007), Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009), Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011), and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip (2015) alongside Jason Lee (Dave), Justin Long (Alvin), and Jesse McCartney (Theodore). He appeared as Bart, the main character, in How to Be a Serial Killer (2008), and as Paul in (500) Days of Summer (2009). He provided the voice of Winsor in Scooby-Doo! Legend of the Phantosaur (2011). He has also provided on/off voice-work for Bagdasarian Productions (regarding the character Simon), whenever Ross Bagdasarian Jr. was unable to voice the character himself. This is most notable in the episode "Who's The Animal?".
While making The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Gubler made a documentary titled Matthew Gray Gubler's Life Aquatic Intern Journal, a behind-the-scenes view of the making of the film, which was later included in The Criterion Collection DVD release. He has directed and starred in a series of self-deprecating mockumentaries named Matthew Gray Gubler: the Unauthorized Documentary in which he parodies Hollywood behavior, which are filmed while on the set of Criminal Minds. A follow-up Matthew Gray Gubler: The Authorized Documentary was also made, although only one episode is currently available.
Gubler directed the Criminal Minds season 5 episode "Mosley Lane" (5x16), which originally aired March 3, 2010, along with the episode "Lauren" (6x18), which aired a year later on March 16, 2011. The episode "Lauren" included the exit of Criminal Minds series regular Paget Brewster, who maintains a friendship with Gubler outside of work on the show. Brewster specifically asked Gubler to direct her last episode, although it was announced later that she would return for season 7. Gubler has since directed the Criminal Minds episodes "Heathridge Manor" (7x19), which aired April 4, 2012, "The Lesson" (8x10), which aired December 5, 2012, "Alchemy" (8x20), "Gatekeeper"(9x7), "Blood Relations" (9x20) and "Mr. Scratch" (10x21). He recently directed Derek Morgan's departure from the BAU in episode "A Beautiful Disaster. (11x18).
Since 2005, Gubler has been posting paintings on his website. His media include watercolor, gouache, oil, and pastel. In September 2005, the Gallery of Fine Art in Ostrava, Czech Republic, held a showing of 12 watercolors by Gubler; all the works were sold. On September 6, 2008, his art was featured in a group show entitled "Paper Cuts" at The Little Bird art gallery in Atwater Village, California. Gubler contributed a painting of "Sandy The Mammoth" to the Western Heritage Museum & Lea County Cowboy Hall of Fame. In July 2010, his paintings were featured in Juxtapoz magazine.
In October 2011, an original watercolor by Gubler entitled "Mushface" was sold at auction site eBay for $10,100. Gubler donated the proceeds to the Smith Center for the Performing Arts in Las Vegas.
|2004||Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, TheThe Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou||Intern #1|
|2007||Alvin and the Chipmunks||Simon Seville||Voice|
|2008||Great Buck Howard, TheThe Great Buck Howard||Russell|
|How to Be a Serial Killer||Bart|
|2009||(500) Days of Summer||Paul|
|Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel||Simon Seville||Voice|
|2010||Ugly Life of a Beautiful Girl, TheThe Ugly Life of a Beautiful Girl||Ziggy|
|2011||All-Star Superman||Jimmy Olsen||Voice|
|Scooby-Doo! Legend of the Phantosaur||Winsor||Voice|
|Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked||Simon Seville||Voice|
|2014||Life After Beth||Kyle Orfman|
|Suburban Gothic||Raymond||Screamfest Award for Best Actor|
|Batman: Assault on Arkham||Edward Nygma/The Riddler||Voice|
|2015||Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip||Simon Seville||Voice|
|Band of Robbers||Joe Harper|
|2005–present||Criminal Minds||Dr. Spencer Reid||Main role (258 episodes)|
|2011||Celebrity Ghost Stories||Himself||Season 3 Episode 4|
|2012||Beauty Inside, TheThe Beauty Inside||Alex #26 / Alex #46||Season 1 Episode 3+4
Daytime Emmy New Approaches Original Daytime Program or Series
|2005||Claude: A Symphony of Horror||Director|
|Matthew Gray Gubler's Life Aquatic Intern Journal||Editor, cinematographer, producer, writer, director|
|Cactus That Looked Just Like a Man, TheThe Cactus That Looked Just Like a Man||Editor, cinematographer, producer, writer, director|
|2006||Matthew Gray Gubler: The Unauthorized Documentary||Producer, writer (concept), director|
|Reagan||Whirlwind Heat's music video - director|
|2007||Don't Shoot Me Santa||The Killers music video - director, editor, co-producer|
|2015||Dirt Sledding||The Killers music video - director|
- "Matthew Gray Gubler". Biography.com. Retrieved 2016-11-08.
- "Las Vegas Review-Journal". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- Jonathan Small, Chic geek: Ex model Matthew Gray Gubler channels his inner nerd on Criminal Minds, in TV Guide, 2007-02-26, p. 23.
- models.com, Matthew Gray Gubler, former top 50 model, at models.com
- Matthew Gray Gubler biography. tv.com.
- See his official YouTube channel.
- Bornfeld, Steve. "STARS ARE BORN: They're Gonna Live Forever." Las Vegas Review Journal. March, 9th, 2008.
- Eng, Joyce (October 18, 2012). "Exclusive: Criminal Minds Scares Up Cuckoo's Nest and Chucky Star Brad Dourif". TV Guide.
- "'Pretty Little Liars,' 'Supernatural,' 'Scandal,' 'Sons of Anarchy,' 'Grey's Anatomy': Find out what's next in the Spoiler Room". EW.com. Entertainment Weekly Inc. December 4, 2012. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Matthew Gray Gubler-Totally Tubular". matthewgraygubler.com. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "ArtSlant - September 26th, 2008 - September 26th, 2008, LittleBird Gallery @ Grain, will bryant, yu-i chan, Thom Gastelum, hamish grieve, matthew gray gubler, james gulliver hancock, jeffrey max". ArtSlant. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Sandy the Mammoth". nmjc.edu. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on November 29, 2014. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Details about "Mushface"- original painting by matthew gray gubler". ebay.com. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Matthew Gray Gubler Thinks This Is A Really Bad Interview". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- Wajnapel, Laetitia. "Mademoiselle Robot still loves you - Catching up with Matthew Gray Gubler - Mademoiselle Robot - UK Fashion & Lifestyle Blog". Mademoiselle Robot - UK Fashion & Lifestyle Blog. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- http://vip.usaweekend.com/2010/02/criminal-minds-star-matthew-gray-gubler-overcomes-legendary-injury/[dead link]
- "Matthew Gray Gubler: 8 Things You Might Not Know About The 'Criminal Minds' Star". Fashion & Style. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- Gray Gubler, Matthew (November 28, 2014). "Matthew Gray Gubler performs former co-stars wedding". Twitter. Retrieved May 17, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matthew Gray Gubler.|