June 1, 1978|
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Notable works||Pear Slip, Skin Shift|
Matthew Hittinger (born June 1, 1978) is an American poet and printmaker.
Matthew Hittinger was born and raised in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, not far from the grave of H.D., and earned his Bachelor of Arts in Art History and English from Muhlenberg College in Allentown, Pennsylvania in 2000, and his Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan in 2004.
He is the author of the poetry collections The Masque of Marilyn, The Erotic Postulate, and Skin Shift, which earned him a 2012 Debut Poet nod from Poets & Writers Magazine, and three chapbooks including Pear Slip, winner of the Spire Press 2006 Chapbook Award. Shortlisted for the National Poetry Series, the New Issues Poetry Prize, and twice for the Walt Whitman Award, Matthew's honors include a Hopwood Award and The Helen S. and John Wagner Prize from the University of Michigan, the Kay Deeter Award from the journal Fine Madness, two Sundress Best of the Net nominations, and eleven Pushcart Prize nominations.
His work has appeared on Verse Daily and in over fifty journals including American Letters & Commentary, Barn Owl Review, Center, Crazyhorse, DIAGRAM, Dusie, Michigan Quarterly Review, Phoebe, StepAway Magazine and elsewhere, including a feature in Blue Fifth Review, the cover feature for the December 2008 MiPOesias, and in many anthologies including Best New Poets 2005, Ganymede Poets, One, Villanelles, Divining Divas: 100 Gay Poets on the Women Who Inspire Them, A Face to Meet the Faces: An Anthology of Contemporary Persona Poems, The Rumpus Original Poetry Anthology, and Love Rise Up: Poems of Social Justice, Protest and Hope.
A collaborative artist, Hittinger has worked on a number of projects with artists in other disciplines, including the Canadian painter Kristy Gordon, the American painter Judith Peck, Chicago-based composer Randall West, and New York City-based composer John Glover. Glover's art song setting of Hittinger's poem "8:46 A.M., Five Years Later" was included in the Five Boroughs Music Festival's Five Borough Songbook (2012).
Hittinger is married to photographer and educator Michael Ernest Sweet; they live in New York City.
- The Masque of Marilyn (2017) Goss183. ISBN 9781546552826, OCLC 1003644776
- The Erotic Postulate (2014) Sibling Rivalry Press. ISBN 9781937420772, OCLC 922645078
- Skin Shift (2012) Sibling Rivalry Press. ISBN 9781937420147, OCLC 799998978
- Platos de Sal (2009) Seven Kitchens Press.
- Narcissus Resists (2009) Goss183
- Pear Slip (2007) Spire Press. ISBN 9781934828007, OCLC 180753011
- "NY Daily News Feature "Circe in Astoria: Matthew Hittinger Finds the Classical in Contemporary New York"".
- "The Flame and Shine: Our Eighth Annual Look at Debut Poets".
- Books, Editors of Writers Digest (2008-07-01). 2009 Poets Market Listing for Spire Press. ISBN 1582976686.
- "Bio Page from Official Website".
- "Poets & Writers Biography Listing". Poets & Writers Magazine. Retrieved June 14, 2009.
- "Goodreads Author Page".
- "Review of Five Boroughs Music Festival Songbook".
|Matthew Hittinger, The Poet and the Poem 2017-18 Series|