Matthew Scott Hopcraft
|Education||BDS, MDS, BA, Ph.D.|
|Alma mater||University of Melbourne|
|Title||CEO, Australian Dental Association, Victorian Branch|
Matthew Scott Hopcraft (born 1971) is an Australian dentist, public health academic and television cook.
Hopcraft was raised in country Victoria and attended Mooroopna Secondary College. He has the degrees of Bachelor of Dental Science, Master of Dental Science and Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Melbourne, and Bachelor of Arts from Deakin University.
Upon graduation, Hopcraft served as a Dental Officer in the Australian Army, and worked in both public and private dental practices.
Hopcraft was the Director, Assessments and Examinations at the Australian Dental Council and is an Honorary Clinical Associate Professor at the Melbourne Dental School of The University of Melbourne. He was a member of the Council of the Victorian branch of the Australian Dental Association from 2005 to 2016, President in 2011 and a federal councillor for 2 years. He is currently co-director of Sugar-free Smiles, an organisation raising awareness of the health impacts of high sugar diets and advocating for the introduction of a tax on sugar-sweetened beverages.
Hopcraft was selected in the Top 24 contestants in the 2015 reality television cooking program MasterChef Australia. He was eliminated on 16 July 2015, finishing in sixth place. His post-MasterChef career saw him release a cookbook in June 2017 called 'Food to Feed the Family.'
He is currently the CEO of the Australian Dental Association Victorian Branch.
- 2010 – IADR Geriatric Oral Research Award – Post-doctoral Category
- 2006 – WM & AV Eggleston Trust Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2005 – IADR (ANZ) Award in Preventive and Community Dentistry
- 2004 – Colonel MGT Kenny Award for exemplary service to the Royal Australian Army Dental Corps
Hopcraft has been widely published since 2003. A list of his academic publications and presentations is available at The University of Melbourne website.
- Warburton, Chloe (8 May 2015). "Matthew's MasterChef move". mmg.com.au. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "Matthew Hopcraft". linkedin.com. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "A/PROF Matt HOPCRAFT". unimelb.edu.au. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "Dr Matthew Hopcraft". adavb.net. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "Federal Council". ada.org.au. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "Children suffer the most as dental waiting list pain starts to bite". news.com.au. 13 February 2012. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "Dental hygiene linked to overall health". naturalhealthmag.com.au. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- Shahane, Neeraj (15 February 2012). "Need For More Dental Care Facilities". topnews.net.nz. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "Dental x-rays linked to brain tumours". abc.net.au. 10 April 2012. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- Hall, Ashley (2 March 2012). "Can Australia afford universal dental care?". The World Today. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "Victorian budget gives extra for dental care". bitemagazine.com.au. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "Matthew Hopcraft". tenplay.com.au. Retrieved 5 Jul 2015.
- "Cheesed off: The MasterChef contestant out after a saucy clash with Marco Pierre White". news.com.au. 16 July 2015.