McGrory at the world premiere of Big Fish in 2003
May 17, 1973|
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
|Died||August 8, 2005 (aged 32)
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Cause of death||Heart failure|
|Height||7 ft 6 in (2.29 m)|
|Weight||317 lb (144 kg)|
McGrory was born in West Chester, Pennsylvania, the son of Maureen, a homemaker, and George McGrory, an accountant. He studied pre-law at Widener University. He also studied Criminal Justice at West Chester University. McGrory grew to the height of 7 ft 6 in (2.29 m) and had size 29.5 shoes. He was over five feet (1.5 m) tall by the time he completed kindergarten.
McGrory's large size led to appearances on The Howard Stern Show beginning in December 1996 as a member of Stern's Wack Pack. He also appeared on Oprah Winfrey's daytime talk show and in music videos including Iron Maiden's "The Wicker Man" and the 1999 Marilyn Manson "Coma White" (and God is in the TV VHS cover). He can also be seen in Blondie's video for their 2003 hit "Good Boys."
Due to his height and deep voice, he was in demand to play roles in movies cast as a giant – he did so in films such as Bubble Boy (2001), Big Fish (2003), House of 1000 Corpses (2003) and The Devil's Rejects (2005). Television appearances included Malcolm in the Middle, Charmed, and Carnivàle. The Guinness Book of World Records awarded him the title of the tallest actor. At the time of his death, he was filming a biography film about André the Giant in which he portrayed the famous wrestler.
|2000||The Dead Hate the Living!||Gaunt|
|2001||Bubble Boy||Human Sasquatch|
|2002||Men in Black II||Tall Alien||(uncredited)|
|2003||House of 1000 Corpses||Tiny Firefly|
|Big Fish||Karl the Giant|
|2004||Big Time||Richard Blunderbore|
|Planet of the Pitts||Toto|
|The Devil's Rejects||Tiny Firefly|
|2017||The Evil Within||Posthumous role, dedicated to McGrory|
- August 11, 2005 (2005-08-11). "Matthew McGrory, 32; Actor Played Key Role in Movie 'Big Fish' - latimes". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2017-05-27.
- "High Class". People.com. 2004-01-19. Retrieved 2017-05-27.
- "'Big Fish' Actor Matthew McGrory Dies". Fox News. August 15, 2005.
- News Clip, WPLG Miami, Matthewmcgrory.com
- "Matthew McGrory, 32, a Film Actor Typecast as a Giant". New York Times (Associated Press). August 15, 2005.
- Dempster, Michael. "The Rundown - Wack Pack profiles". The Howard Stern Radio Show. Archived from the original on 2008-05-30.
- "Obituaries: Matthew McGrory". The Daily Telegraph (UK). August 13, 2005.
- Kaufman, Gil (August 11, 2005) "Matthew McGrory, Big Man In 'Big Fish' And 'Devil's Rejects,' Dead At 32". MTV News.
- The Devil's Rejects (2005). Dir. Rob Zombie. Cinelamda, Lionsgate. Dedication.