Matthew Sleeth (Christian environmentalist)
Matthew Sleeth, MD is an author, speaker, and advocate of creation care. A former emergency room physician, Sleeth wrote his first book, Serve God, Save the Planet (Zondervan), in May 2006. Since then, he has spoken more than 900 times in churches, schools and to media outlets about the biblical mandate to care for the Earth.
In 2008, Sleeth wrote the introduction to The Green Bible (HarperOne) and in 2010 wrote The Gospel According to the Earth: Why the Good Book is a Green Book (HarperOne). His third book, 24/6: A Prescription for a Healthier, Happier Life was released in November 2012 (Tyndale House Publishers). Through his nonprofit, Blessed Earth, Sleeth wrote and released a 12-part creation care DVD series called Serving God, Saving the Planet (Zondervan), with accompanying guidebooks, in 2010.
Sleeth has been featured in publications such as Newsweek, Christianity Today, Books and Culture, Creation Care Magazine, Guideposts, The Huffington Post, The San Francisco Chronicle, Grist, and films such as The Great Warming and Start: Becoming a Good Samaritan. Sleeth wrote the introduction for and served on the advisory board of The Green Bible (HarperOne).
In 2008, Sleeth and his wife, Nancy Sleeth, founded Blessed Earth, an educational nonprofit that inspires and equips Christian communities to become better stewards of the Earth. Through outreach to churches, campuses and media, Blessed Earth works to build bridges that promote measurable environmental change and meaningful spiritual growth.
- Sleeth, Matthew. Serve God, Save the Planet. White River Junction, VT: Chelsea Green Publishing, 2006.
- "Answering the Call of Creation". The State Journal. 4 February 2011. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- The Green Bible. New York City: HarperOne, 2008.
- Sleeth, Matthew. The Gospel According to the Earth: Why the Good Book is a Green Book. New York City: HarperOne, 2010.
- Sleeth, Matthew. 24/6: A Prescription for a Healthier, Happier Life. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale, 2012.
- Sleeth, Matthew. Serving God, Saving the Planet. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan, 2010.
- "The Faces of Christian Politics". Newsweek. December 2010. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Crouch, Andy (May–June 2007). "Rx for Excess". Books and Culture. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- Sleeth, Matthew (Summer 2008). "God's Mental Health Prescription". Creation Care Magazine. pp. 40–43. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- Sleeth, Matthew (January 2007). "Healing the Planet". Guideposts Magazine. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Sleeth, Matthew (19 April 2010). "Making Earth Day a Church Day". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Miller, David Ian (22 January 2007). "Finding My Religion". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- Roberts, David (6 October 2006). "An Interview with J. Matthew Sleeth, Evangelical Environmentalist and Author". Grist. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Coshof, Karen, Alanis Morissette, and Keanu Reeves. The Great Warming. Kelowna, B.C: Filmwest Associates, 2003.
- Seaton, Michael, and John Ortberg. Start: Becoming a Good Samaritan. Grand Rapids, Mich: Zondervan, 2010.