October 2, 1970
Rhode Island, United States
|Jack of Fables
House of Mystery
Lilah Sturges (born Matthew Sturges, October 1970 in Rhode Island) is an American writer of comics and fantasy novels. She is best known for co-writing with Bill Willingham the Eisner-award-nominated Jack of Fables, published by Vertigo Comics.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2008)|
Beginning in 2006, she and Willingham co-wrote the 50-issue Jack of Fables (a spin-off from Willingham's popular Fables series). In 2008 she began writing the 42-issue House of Mystery. After signing an exclusive deal with DC Comics later that year, Sturges wrote Blue Beetle from #29 to its end with #36, and Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! featuring the Human Flame. In 2009 she partnered again with Willingham writing Justice Society of America beginning with issue #29.
She is the author of two novels – Midwinter (2009) and its sequel The Office of Shadows (2010) – and a book of short horror fiction, Beneath the Skin and Other Stories (2000).
Sturges was born in October 1970, assigned male gender, and named Matthew. In December 2016, Sturges announced via her Twitter and Facebook accounts that she is a transgender woman, and has adopted the name Lilah.
- Jack of Fables #1-#50 (with co-author Bill Willingham, Vertigo, September 2006– March 2011)
- Shadowpact #17-25 (DC Comics, September 2007 - July 2008)
- Countdown to Mystery: "A Syzygy in Plastic" #1-8 (DC Comics, November 2007 - June 2008)
- Salvation Run #3-7 (DC Comics, March - July 2008)
- House of Mystery #1-42 (Vertigo, July 2008 – 2011) collected as:
- Blue Beetle #29-36 (with artist Rafael Albuquerque, DC Comics, September 2008 - April 2009)
- Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! (with Freddie Williams, DC Comics, 6-issue limited series, 2009, forthcoming)
- Thor: Season One (with Pepe Larraz, Marvel Universe, 178 pages, September 2013, ISBN 978-0-7851-5379-5
- Midwinter (2009; novel)
- The Office of Shadows (2010; novel)
- Beneath the Skin and Other Stories (2000; short story anthology)
- "Lilah Sturges, The Latest Comic Creator To Tell Us She's Trans". Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News. 2016-12-29. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- Irvine, Alex (2008), "Jack of Fables", in Dougall, Alastair, The Vertigo Encyclopedia, New York: Dorling Kindersley, pp. 100–101, ISBN 0-7566-4122-5, OCLC 213309015
- "Chris Roberson interviewed - infinity plus non-fiction". www.infinityplus.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "Sturges & Willingham on the New House of Mystery". Newsarama. February 20, 2008
- Sturges is Big Brother of Vertigo’s "House of Mystery", Comic Book Resources, May 6, 2008
- "House Showing: Lilah Sturges on House of Mystery". Newsarama. February 17, 2009
- "SDCC '08 - The 'Fables' Panel & Announcements". Newsarama. July 28, 2008
- Matt Sturges I: Living with Fables, & Now DC Exclusive. Newsarama. August 13, 2008
- "Talking Blue Beetle with Matt Sturges". Newsarama. August 13, 2008
- "Hail and Farewell: Sturges on Blue Beetle's End". Newsarama. November 14, 2008
- "Behind the Page - Matthew Sturges, 2". Newsarama. February 10, 2009
- "Ian Sattler on the Final Crisis: Aftermath Titles". Newsarama. February 11, 2009
- "The Most Powerful? Lilah Sturges on The Human Flame and Run!". Newsarama. February 16, 2009
- Talking JSA With Willingham & Sturges, Comic Book Resources. January 19, 2009
- "Willingham and Sturges Talk Justice Society of America". Newsarama. December 26, 2008
- "From Comics to Novels: Matt Sturges on 'Midwinter'". Newsarama. March 23, 2009
- Room and Boredom details at DC Comics
- Love Stories for Dead People details at DC Comics
- Thor: Season 1 details at Marvel Comics
- very lengthy by Jay Tomio about House of Mystery and novels, Boomtron, January 16, 2009
- Inside the Comic Writer's Studio interview, Comicbloc.com, September 2007
- Sequential Tart interview, September 2006
- Behind the Page - Matthew Sturges, Part 1, Newsarama, February 5, 2009