Matthew Wright (Australian footballer)
|Full name||Matthew Wright|
|Date of birth||14 December 1989|
|Original team||Walkerville (SAAFL)
North Adelaide (SANFL)
|Draft||Pick #33, 2009 Rookie Draft, Adelaide
Pick #82 (RP), 2011 National Draft, Adelaide
|Debut||Round 4, 2011, Adelaide
v. Port Adelaide, at AAMI Stadium
|Height/Weight||178 cm (5 ft 10 in) / 76 kg (12 st 0 lb)|
|Position(s)||Midfielder, small forward, tagger|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of Round 3, 2015 season.
Matthew Wright (born 14 December 1989) is a professional Australian rules football player who plays for the Adelaide Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was selected with pick #33 in the 2009 Rookie Draft from North Adelaide in the South Australian National Football League (SANFL).
Two years prior to being drafted, Wright fractured his skull when he was hit by a glass bottle at a party.
Wright played his first AFL game in 2011 against Port Adelaide in Showdown XXX, replacing Richard Tambling who had injured his ankle in a collision at training. He was named as the substitute player and was on the bench until the third quarter. After being dropped back to North Adelaide the following week, he was recalled to the Adelaide side in round six and maintained his position in the senior team for the rest of the season. At the end of 2011, he was elevated to Adelaide's senior list.
In 2012 Wright worked his way into the side early in the season and was a regular in an Adelaide side that made the preliminary final, used as a midfielder/forward and occasional run-with player. He averaged 20 disposals for the season, and in Round 20 against Fremantle, he amassed a career-high 37 disposals.
After wearing the number 47 jumper for his first two seasons, Wright switched to the number 11 jumper for the 2013 season. Wright struggled with injury and inconsistent form in 2013, but still played 17 games including crucial 4-goal efforts against Gold Coast and Geelong. Wright returned to form in 2014, playing 20 games, kicking 14 goals and averaging nearly 19 possessions.
- Statistics are correct to end of round 3, 2015 season.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Milbank, Zac (16 December 2009). "Matthew made of right stuff". The Advertiser.
- Robertson, Doug (25 October 2007). "Young AFL hopeful in limbo". The Advertiser.
- Porter, Ashley (16 April 2011). "Old rivals in test of youth". The Age.
- Gill, Katrina (19 April 2011). "Crows set for boost".
- "Rookies earn deals and upgrades". 13 September 2011.
- "Adelaide Crows delist three rookies". 7 October 2011.
- "Matthew Wright - AFC.com.au".
- "Sanderson backs Talia for Rising Star". Sportal. 11 August 2012.
- Gill, Katrina (7 November 2012). "The Wright move".
- "Matthew Wright statistics". AFL Tables. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- Matthew Wright's profile on the official website of the Adelaide Football Club
- Matthew Wright's statistics from AFL Tables
|This Australian rules football biography of a person born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|