Matthias Ettrich at LinuxTag, 23 May 2005
14 June 1972 |
|Known for||KDE and LyX|
Matthias went to School in Beilstein, as he lived with his parents in Oberstenfeld, not too far away from the place he was born. He passed the Abitur in 1991. Ettrich studied for his MSc in Computer Science at the Wilhelm Schickard Institute for Computer Science at the Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen.
Free software projects
Since LyX's main target platform was Linux, he started to explore different ways to improve the graphical user interface, which ultimately led him to the KDE project. Ettrich founded KDE in 1996, when he proposed on Usenet a "consistent, nice looking free desktop-environment" [sic] for Unix-like systems using Qt as its widget toolkit.
- "Matthias Ettrich". LinkedIn.
- Ettrich, Matthias (14 October 1996). "New Project: Kool Desktop Environment (KDE)". Newsgroup: de.comp.os.linux.misc. Usenet: firstname.lastname@example.org. Retrieved 4 December 2010.
- "Matthias Ettrich: The KDE-Man!". EFY Enterprises Pvt. Ltd. EFY Times.com. 15 March 2008. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "KDE founder Ettrich receives German award".
- Boehm, Mirko (6 November 2009). "Matthias Ettrich Receives German Federal Cross of Merit". KDE. KDE.NEWS. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- The People Behind KDE: Interview with Matthias Ettrich (2000)
- The People Behind KDE: Interview with Matthias Ettrich (2004)
|This article about a computer specialist of Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|