Matthias Gross (German spelling: Groß, pronounced [gro:s], audio (help·info); born 1969) is a German sociologist and science studies scholar. He currently is Full Professor of Environmental Sociology at the University of Jena, and by joint appointment, at Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research – UFZ in Leipzig, Germany.
Gross received a PhD in sociology from Bielefeld University in 2001. Between 2002 and 2005 he co-directed the research group “Real World Experiments” at the Institute of Science and Technology Studies at Bielefeld University and from 2005 to 2013 he was senior research scientist at the Helmholtz Centre in Leipzig. He held research positions and visiting professorships at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Loyola University Chicago, and the Martin Luther University of Halle, Germany. He is co-editor of the interdisciplinary journal Nature + Culture. Between 2006 and 2018 he was Chair of the German Sociological Association's Section on Environmental sociology and since 2011 he is Chair of the European Sociological Association's Research Network on Environment and Society. In 2013 he has won the Sage Prize for Innovation and Excellence from the British Sociological Association for his paper on Georg Simmel and nonknowledge and in 2018 the Frederick H. Buttel Prize of the International Sociological Association (ISA)
- Debra J. Davidson; Matthias Gross (eds.) (2018). The Oxford Handbook of Energy and Society. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-190-63385-1.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Audrone Telesiene; Matthias Gross (eds.) (2017). Green European: Environmental Behaviour and Attitudes in Europe in a Historical and Cross-Cultural Comparative Perspective. London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-138-12395-3.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Matthias Gross; Linsey McGoey (eds.) (2015). Routledge International Handbook of Ignorance Studies. London: Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-71896-7.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Matthias Gross; Rüdiger Mautz (2015). Renewable Energies. London: Routledge (Key Ideas Series). ISBN 978-0-415-85861-8.
- Matthias Gross (2010). Ignorance and Surprise: Science, Society, and Ecological Design. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press (Inside Technology Series). ISBN 978-0-26201-348-2.
- Matthias Gross; Harald Heinrichs (eds.) (2010). Environmental Sociology: European Perspectives and Interdisciplinary Challenges. Dordrecht: Springer. ISBN 978-9-04818-729-4.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Matthias Gross (2003). Inventing Nature: Ecological Restoration by Public Experiments. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield (Lexington Books). ISBN 978-0-73910-504-7.
- "Chair of Environmental Sociology - FSU Jena". Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- "Website of Bielefeld's IWT". Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "Nature and Culture, Journal Website". Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "The British Sociological Association's Sage Prize Page (Archives)". Archived from the original on 21 October 2014. Retrieved 11 January 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Frederick H. Buttel International Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Environmental Sociology". Retrieved 6 December 2018..