Life and career
Pintscher was born in Marl, North Rhine-Westphalia. He began his music studies with Giselher Klebe in 1988 at the Hochschule für Musik Detmold, in Detmold. In 1990 he met Hans Werner Henze and in 1991 and 1992 he was invited to Henze's summer school in Montepulciano, Italy. He later studied with German composer and flutist Manfred Trojahn. He held a Daniel R Lewis Young Composer Fellowship with the Cleveland Orchestra from 2000 to 2002.
In October 2010 Pintscher became the first Artist-in-Association with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. In June 2012, the Ensemble InterContemporain announced the appointment of Pintscher as its next Music Director, beginning in the September 2013-14 season, with an initial contract of three years. Since the 2014/15 season Pintscher was appointed "artist in residence" with the Danish Radio for a period of three years. He is serving as a professor for composition at the Juilliard School, New York. For the 2014/15 season he is the artist in residence at the Cologne Philharmonie.
His 2012 double trumpet concerto "Chute d'Étoiles - Hommage à Anselm Kiefer" was inspired by the work of Igor Stravinsky. It was first performed by the Cleveland Orchestra at Lucerne Festival in 2012. The US premiere was at Carnegie Hall, also with the Cleveland Orchestra. The UK premier was performed at Glasgow City Halls by the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra on 16 May 2013.
Pintscher has lived in New York City since 2008.
On 21 August 2016, Pintscher conducted his own piece Reflections on Narcissus and A Midsummer Night's Dream (Mendelssohn) in the BBC prom 48.
- Monumento I (1991)
- Tableau / Miroir (1992)
- Nacht. Mondschein (1994)
- on a clear day (2004)
- whirling tissue of light (2013)
- 2° quartetto d’archi (1990)
- Partita for solo cello (1991)
- Omaggio a Giovanni Paisiello for violin (1991, revised 1995)
- 4° quartetto d’archi "Ritratto di Gesualdo" (1992)
- Sieben Bagatellen mit Apotheose der Glasharmonika for bass clarinet (1993, revised 2001) or for clarinet (1994, revised 2001)
- Départ (Monumento III) for ensemble (1993, revised 1995)
- dernier espace avec introspecteur for accordion and cello (1994)
- Figura II / Frammento for string quartet (1997)
- Figura I for accordion and string quartet (1998)
- in nomine for solo viola (1999)
- Figura IV / Passaggio for string quartet (1999)
- Figura III for accordion (2000)
- Figura V / Assonanza for cello (2000)
- Janusgesicht for viola and cello (2001)
- Study I for Treatise on the Veil for violin and cello (2004)
- Study II for Treatise on the Veil for violin, viola and cello (2006)
- Invocazioni (1991)
- Devant une neige (Monumento II) (1993)
- Dunkles Feld - Berückung (1993, revised 1998)
- Choc (Monumento IV) (1996)
- Five Orchestral Pieces (1997)
- sur “Départ” (2000)
- with lilies white (2001-2)
- Towards Osiris (2005)
- Verzeichnete Spur (2006)
- Osiris (2008)
- Mar'eh (2011)
- Ex Nihilo (2011)
- idyll (2014)
- La Metamorfosi di Narciso for cello and ensemble (1992)
- tenebrae for viola and small ensemble with live electronics (2000-1)
- en sourdine for violin and orchestra (2003)
- Reflections on Narcissus for cello and orchestra (2005)
- Transir for flute and chamber orchestra (2006)
- Sonic Eclipse for solo trumpet, solo horn and ensemble (2009-2010)
- Chute d'Etoiles for 2 trumpets and orchestra (2012)
- Gesprungene Glocken (1993-4, revised 2000)
- Thomas Chatterton, opera (1994-8)
- L’espace dernier (2002-3)
- Gesprungene Glocken for soprano and orchestra (1996)
- a twilight's song for soprano and seven instruments (1997)
- Music from “Thomas Chatterton” for baritone an orchestra (1998)
- Monumento V for eight voices, 3 cellos and ensemble (1998)
- Hérodiade Fragmente for soprano and orchestra (1999)
- Lieder und Schneebilder for soprano and piano (2000)
- Vers quelque part ... - façons de partir for women’s voices and percussion (2000) or for women’s voices, percussion, three cellos and live electronics (2001)
- She-Cholat Ahavah Ani (Shir ha-Shirim V) for mixed chorus a cappella (2008)
- songs from Solomon's Garden for baritone and chamber orchestra (2009)
- Andrew Clements (2003-08-29). "The radical conservative". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- "Matthias Pintscher est nommé Directeur musical de l'Ensemble intercontemporain" / "Matthias Pintscher appointed Music Director of the Ensemble intercontemporain" (Press Release). Ensemble InterContemporain, 22 June 2012.
- National Symphony Orchestra Playbill February 2015
- Publisher's biography, discography and bibliography, (German, English
- website of the composer
- "Matthias Pintscher biography" (in French). IRCAM.