Schoenaerts at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival
8 December 1977 |
|Parent(s)||Julien Schoenaerts (father)
Dominique Wiche (mother)
|Relatives||Bruno Schoenaerts (half brother)|
Matthias Schoenaerts (Dutch: [ˈmɑtjɑs ˈsçunaːrts]; born 8 December 1977) is a Belgian actor. He made his film debut at the age of 15 in Daens (1992), which was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. He is best known for his roles as Filip in Loft (2008), Jacky Vanmarsenille in Bullhead (2011), Ali in Rust and Bone (2012), Eric Deeds in The Drop (2014), Bruno von Falk in Suite Française (2015) and Gabriel Oak in Far from the Madding Crowd (2015). In 2013, he won the César Award for Most Promising Actor for Rust and Bone.
In 2015, he was named Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters in France.
Schoenaerts was born in Antwerp, Belgium. He is the son of actor Julien Schoenaerts and costume designer Dominique Wiche.
After completing studies at The Academy of Dramatic Arts in Antwerp, he featured in several other films, like Dorothée Van Den Berghe's Meisje (Girl) in 2002, Tom Barman's Any Way the Wind Blows in 2003, Rudolf Mestdagh's Ellektra in 2004, Hilde Van Mieghem's Love Belongs to Everyone and Paul Verhoeven's Black Book in 2006, Pieter van Hees's Left Bank in 2008 and most notably when he played the role of Filip in Erik Van Looy's Loft, which became the most successful Flemish film at the Belgian box-office, earning over $7,075,161.
In 2009, he starred in Dorothée Van Den Berghe's My Queen Karo. In 2010, he appeared in Alex Stockman's Pulsar and had a cameo in Franck Richard's La Meute (The Pack).
In 2011, Schoenaerts starred in the Dutch films The Gang of Oss and The President and also in Bullhead directed by Michaël R. Roskam, which was a nominee for the Best Foreign Language Oscar. His performance in the film was well received and won him the FIPRESCI Award for best actor at Palm Springs International Film Festival in January 2012. The jury praised the actor’s "superb portrayal of an innocent and sensitive man trapped in a truculent body." He also won the Magritte Award for Best Actor.
In 2012, he starred in Jacques Audiard's Rust and Bone (De rouille et d'os) alongside Marion Cotillard. The film premiered at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival and was a critical and box office hit in France. On 22 February 2013, Matthias won the César Award for Most Promising Actor for his role in Rust and Bone. Schoenaerts also starred in the Belgian short film Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw) of director Tom Van Avermaet. On 10 January 2013, the short film was nominated for the 2012 Academy Award for Best Live Action Short Film.
In 2014, Schoenarts appeared alongside Clive Owen, Billy Crudup and again Marion Cotillard in the thriller Blood Ties. The film premiered at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. He also played Eric Deeds in The Drop, his second film with Michael R. Roskam, starring opposite Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace and James Gandolfini. In the same year, he was cast as Roy Cady in the film adaptation of Nic Pizzolatto's novel Galveston, directed by Janus Metz Pedersen.
In 2015, he will appear in 7 films: The Loft, the American remake of the Belgian Loft, in which he played the same character; in Saul Dibb's Suite Française, playing German soldier Bruno von Falk opposite Michelle Williams and Kristin Scott Thomas; in Thomas Vinterberg's Far from the Madding Crowd as Gabriel Oak, one of Carey Mulligan's three love interests; in Alan Rickman's period drama A Little Chaos, as French landscape architect André Le Nôtre, opposite Kate Winslet; in Luca Guadagnino's thriller A Bigger Splash, (a re-interpretation of the classic Alain Delon/Romy Schneider movie La Piscine), starring opposite Tilda Swinton and Ralph Fiennes.
Schoenaerts will also star in Alice Winocour's French thriller Disorder (Maryland), as an ex-soldier suffering from post traumatic stress disorder and will play the art-dealer Hans Axgil in Tom Hooper's The Danish Girl. A Bigger Splash and The Danish Girl will have their world premieres at the 2015 Venice Film Festival, both will be screened in the official competition.
Schoenaerts will play William Clark on HBO's miniseries Lewis and Clark, co-starring Casey Affleck as Meriwether Lewis. Production is slated to begin Summer 2015 on the six-hour miniseries executive produced by Tom Hanks, Edward Norton, and Brad Pitt.
On 28 July 2015, Schoenaerts was named a Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters in France. This distinction is awarded by the French Ministry of Culture to people "who have distinguished themselves by their creativity in the artistic or literary field or the contribution they have made to the influence of the arts and literature in France and in the world".
On August 24, 2015, it was announced that Schoenaerts had acquired the Belgian casting agency Hakuna Casting, which focuses on people of ethnic origin.
|2001||Flikken||Jens Goossens||TV series
|2002||De blauwe roos||Minnaar||short|
|2002||Stille waters||Rechercheur||TV series
|2003||Any Way the Wind Blows||Chouki|
|2004||Je veux quelque chose et je ne sais pas quoi||Jaap||short|
|2004||A Message from Outer Space||Frits||short|
|2004||Ellektra||DJ Cosmonaut X|
|2005||Einde van de rit||short|
|2005||Une seule chose à faire||short|
|2006||Love Belongs to Everyone||Dennis|
|2008||De smaak van De Keyser||Alfred Lenaerts||TV series
Nominated—Monte-Carlo Television Festival's Golden Nymph for Outstanding Actor - Drama Series
|2009||Los zand||Vincent Vandeweghe||TV series|
|2009||My Queen Karo||Raven|
|2010||The Pack||Le Gothique en toc|
|2010||Injury Time||Van Dessel||short|
|2011||Bullhead||Jacky Vanmarsenille||Austin Fantastic Fest's Next Wave Award for Best Actor
Magritte Award for Best Actor
Palm Springs International Film Festival's FIPRESCI Prize for Best Actor
|2011||The Gang of Oss||Ties van Heesch|
|2012||Rust and Bone||Ali||Valladolid International Film Festival's Award for Best Actor
César Award for Most Promising Actor
Nominated—Magritte Award for Best Actor
Nominated—Lumières Award for Best Actor
|2012||Death of a Shadow||Nathan Rijckx||short|
|2013||Blood Ties||Anthony Scarfo|
|2014||The Drop||Eric Deeds|
|2015||The Loft||Philip Williams|
|2015||Suite Française||Bruno von Falk|
|2015||A Little Chaos||André Le Nôtre|
|2015||Far from the Madding Crowd||Gabriel Oak|
|2015||A Bigger Splash||Paul|
|2015||The Danish Girl||Hans Axgil||Post-production|
|2016||Lewis and Clark||William Clark||Filming; HBO mini-series|
|2016||Galveston||Roy Cady||On Hold|
- Matthias Schoenarts in IMDB
- "VTi - Producties - De kleine prins (1987-1988)". data.vti.be. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "They're Antiheroes: Matthias Schoenaerts on Rust and Bone". craveonline.com. 21 November 2012. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "'Loft' breekt record van 'Koko Flanel'". De Standaard (in Dutch). 19 February 2009. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Van Baelen, Carl (17 May 2011). "Matthias Schoenaerts completes cast of ‘Loft’". TheCelebrityCafe.com. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Pond, Steve (15 January 2012). "'Starbuck' Wins Top Palm Springs Fest Award". Reuters. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts Wins Best Actor Palm Springs International Film Festival". Positive Impact Magazine. 19 January 2012. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts - Young Hollywood Interview". YouTube. 26 November 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Marion Cotillard Takes Rust and Bone". ComingSoon.net. 7 September 2011. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "'Rust and Bone' helps keep French films highly visible". Los Angeles Times. 25 November 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) (2012) - JPBox-Office". jpbox-office.com.
- Richford, Rhonda (22 February 2013). "Cesar Awards: 'Amour' Wins Best Picture, 'Argo' Best Foreign Language Film". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Cérémonie des César: Matthias Schoenaerts, meilleur espoir masculin". La Libre Belgique (in French). 23 February 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Death of a Shadow nominated for Best Live Action Short Oscar". Flandersimage.com. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (23 February 2013). "Interview: César Winner Matthias Schoenaerts Talks Oscar Nominated Short 'Death Of A Shadow'". IndieWire. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- De Becker, Annelies (12 April 2012). "Schoenaerts speelt met Mila Kunis in 'Blood Ties'" (in Dutch). HLN.be. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Dang, Simon (16 April 2012). "Lili Taylor & 'The Wire' Star Domenick Lombardozzi Join 'Blood Ties'; 'Bullhead' & 'Rust & Bone' Star Matthias Schoenaerts Confirmed". IndieWire. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (23 February 2013). "Exclusive: Matthias Schoenaerts Joins 'Animal Rescue' With Tom Hardy & Noomi Rapace". IndieWire. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts To Star In 'Galveston' From 'True Detective' Writer Nic Pizzolatto". Indiewire. 28 January 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- vuitton-louisvuitton/ "Actor Matthias Schoenaerts Is The New Face Of Louis Vuitton". Bello Mag. 11 January 2014. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- Bustos, Kristina (25 November 2012). "Matthias Schoenaerts joins Michelle Williams in 'Suite Française'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Bamigboye, Baz (11 April 2013). "BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Carey Mulligan's the new face in the Madding Crowd". Daily Mail. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (17 May 2013). "Carey Mulligan, Matthias Schoenaerts Set For Searchlight’s ‘Far From The Madding Crowd’". Deadline.com. PMC. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (17 January 2013). "Kate Winslet & Matthias Schoenaerts To Star In Alan Rickman Directed Period Drama 'A Little Chaos'". IndieWire. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Tilda Swinton, Ralph Fiennes, Margot Robbie & Matthias Schoenaerts Team For Luca Guadagnino's Sexy Thriller". Indiewire. 15 May 2014. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- "First still of "A Bigger Splash": Matthias Schoenaerts, Tilda Swinton, Dakota Johnson and Ralph Fiennes". imgur.com. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Indie Sales Nabs Int’l Rights to Thriller ‘Close Protection’ (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. 5 November 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts joins Tom Hooper's The Danish Girl". Empire. 8 January 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "A lover not a fighter". The Herald. 5 March 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Two Matthias Schoenaerts' movies at Venice Film Festival". deredactie.be. July 30, 2015. Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- "Venice Festival: Dakota Johnson, Matthias Schoenaerts to Pull Double Duty". The Hollywood Reporter. July 29, 2015. Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- "‘Lewis And Clark’ Miniseries Gets Formal Greenlight By HBO; Matthias Schoenaerts To Star With Casey Affleck". Deadline.com. 30 January 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts fait Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres en France". rtbf.be (in French). 28 July 2015. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts prend une participation dans un bureau de casting". lesoir.be. August 24, 2015. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matthias Schoenaerts.|
- Matthias Schoenaerts at the Internet Movie Database
- Matthias Schoenaerts at AllMovie
- Matthias Schoenaerts at Rotten Tomatoes
- Matthias Schoenaerts at the TCM Movie Database
- Matthias Schoenaerts at TVGuide.com