Matthias Schoenaerts in 2016
8 December 1977 |
Antwerp, Flanders, Belgium
|Occupation||Actor, film producer, graffiti artist|
|Parent(s)||Julien Schoenaerts (father)
Dominique Wiche (mother)
Matthias Schoenaerts (Dutch: [ˈmɑtjɑs ˈsxunaːrts]; born 8 December 1977) is a Belgian actor, film producer and graffiti artist of Flemish origin. He made his film debut at the age of 13 in Daens (1992), which was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. He is best known for his roles as Filip in Loft (2008), Jacky Vanmarsenille in the Oscar-nominated Bullhead (2011), Ali in the BAFTA and Golden Globe-nominee Rust and Bone (2012), for which he won the César Award for Most Promising Actor, Eric Deeds in The Drop (2014), Bruno von Falk in Suite Française (2015), Gabriel Oak in Far from the Madding Crowd (2015) and Hans Axgil in The Danish Girl (2015). Schoenaerts received critical acclaim for his portrayal of an ex-soldier suffering from PTSD in Disorder (2015).
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Other ventures
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 5.1 César Awards, France
- 5.2 Magritte Awards, Belgium
- 5.3 Flanders Film Awards, Belgium
- 5.4 Oostende Film Festival, Belgium
- 5.5 Lumières Awards, France
- 5.6 Globes de Cristal Awards, France
- 5.7 Étoiles d'Or Awards, France
- 5.8 Prix Patrick Dewaere, France
- 5.9 Film festivals
- 5.10 Critics awards
- 5.11 Other
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Schoenaerts was born in Antwerp, Flanders, the Flemish (Dutch-speaking) region of Belgium. He is the son of actor Julien Schoenaerts (1925–2006) and Dominique Wiche (1953–2016), a costume designer, translator and French teacher. He has an older half brother, Bruno Schoenaerts (born 1953), who is a lawyer.
In 1987, at nine years old, he appeared in a stage production of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince opposite his father, who was also the director. His mother, Dominique, was the costume designer of the play.
He started producing graffiti as a teenager under the pseudonym "Zenith", even going to New York to collaborate with the Bronx group TATS CRU. It is possible to watch some videos of Schoenaerts doing graffiti in Belgium on YouTube.
Schoenaerts was close to becoming a professional soccer player and was on the books of Belgian team Beerschot AC, but gave up when he was 16 years old. In 2013, Schoenaerts stated that he is a fan of Spanish football club FC Barcelona.
Early work in Belgium and Netherlands (1992–2011)
At the age of 13, Schoenaerts made his film debut with a small role in the 1992 Belgian film Daens, which was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. His father also starred in the film but they did not share any scenes together.
After completing studies at The Academy of Dramatic Arts in Antwerp, he featured in several shorts and feature films. In 2002, he starred in Dorothée Van Den Berghe's Meisje (Girl); Tom Barman's Any Way the Wind Blows in 2003; Rudolf Mestdagh's Ellektra and Roel Mondelaers & Raf Reyntjens's sci-fi short film A Message from Outer Space, which Schoenaerts also produced in 2004.
In 2007, he starred in Ben van Lieshout's film De Muze and in Erik Bruyn's Nadine.
In 2008, he played Bob in Pieter van Hees's horror film Left Bank (Linkeroever), and most notably played the role of Filip in Erik Van Looy's Loft, which became the most successful Flemish film at the Belgian box-office, earning over $7,075,161. In the same year, Schoenaerts also starred in the mini-series The Emperor of Taste (De smaak van De Keyser), playing a Belgian soldier in World War II.
Breakthrough: Bullhead and Rust and Bone (2011–2013)
In 2011, Schoenaerts played the lead role in Bullhead, directed by Michaël R. Roskam, which was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Oscar. His performance in the film was well received and won him the FIPRESCI Award for best actor at the Palm Springs International Film Festival in January 2012. The jury praised the actor's "superb portrayal of an innocent and sensitive man trapped in a truculent body." He also won the Magritte Award for Best Actor.
In 2012, he starred in Jacques Audiard's Rust and Bone (De rouille et d'os) alongside Marion Cotillard. The film premiered at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival and was a critical and box office hit in France. On 22 February 2013, Matthias won the César Award for Most Promising Actor for his role in Rust and Bone.
Schoenaerts also produced and starred in the Belgian short film Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw), directed by Tom Van Avermaet. On 10 January 2013, the short film was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Live Action Short Film.
In 2014, Schoenaerts appeared alongside Clive Owen, Billy Crudup and again Marion Cotillard in the thriller Blood Ties, in which he played Anthony Scarfo. The film premiered at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.
In 2015, the actor appeared in 7 films: The Loft, the American remake of the Belgian film Loft, in which he played the same character and was also his first English-language film; in Saul Dibb's Suite Française, playing the German soldier Bruno von Falk opposite Michelle Williams and Kristin Scott Thomas; in Thomas Vinterberg's Far from the Madding Crowd as Gabriel Oak, one of Carey Mulligan's three love interests; in Alan Rickman's period drama A Little Chaos, as French landscape architect André Le Nôtre, opposite Kate Winslet.
Schoenaerts also starred in Alice Winocour's French thriller Disorder (Maryland), as an ex-soldier suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, for which his performance was highly praised. He played Paul in Luca Guadagnino's erotic thriller A Bigger Splash, starring opposite Tilda Swinton, Ralph Fiennes and Dakota Johnson, and also played the art-dealer Hans Axgil in Tom Hooper's The Danish Girl. A Bigger Splash and The Danish Girl made their world premieres at the 2015 Venice Film Festival, both were screened in the official competition.
On 28 July 2015, Schoenaerts was named a Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters in France. This distinction is awarded by the French Ministry of Culture to people "who have distinguished themselves by their creativity in the artistic or literary field or the contribution they have made to the influence of the arts and literature in France and in the world".
In 2017, Schoenaerts reteamed with Michaël R. Roskam in the Belgian film The Racer and the Jailbird (Le Fidèle), in the role of a gangster named Gigi. The film was Roskam and Schoenaerts' first film in Belgium since 2011's Bullhead. In the same year, Schoenaerts played Gene, Jane Fonda's son on the Netflix film Our Souls at Night, also starring Robert Redford and directed by Ritesh Batra.
He also worked again with director Thomas Vinterberg in Kursk, a film about the Kursk submarine disaster of 2000 in which Schoenaerts will play Russian Navy captain-lieutenant Mikhail Kalekov. The film is scheduled to be released in 2018.
Schoenaerts is scheduled to play William Clark on HBO's miniseries Lewis and Clark, co-starring Casey Affleck as Meriwether Lewis. The six-hour miniseries is executive produced by Tom Hanks, Edward Norton, and Brad Pitt.
In January 2016, it was announced that Schoenaerts will play a drummer who begins to lose his hearing in Darius Marder's The Sound of Metal.
On 24 August 2015, it was reported that Schoenaerts became the co-owner of the Belgian casting agency Hakuna Casting, which focuses on people of ethnic origin.
|2002||De blauwe roos||Minnaar||Short|
|2002||Meisje a.k.a. Girl||Oskar|
|2003||Any Way the Wind Blows||Chouki|
|2004||Je veux quelque chose et je ne sais pas quoi||Jaap||Short|
|2004||A Message from Outer Space||Frits||Short|
|2004||Ellektra||DJ Cosmonaut X|
|2005||The End of the Ride a.k.a. Het einde van de rit||Samuel||Short|
|2005||Daughter a.k.a. Dochter||Mattias||Short|
|2005||The One Thing to Do||Edward Monskii||Short|
|2006||Love Belongs to Everyone a.k.a. Dennis van Rita||Dennis|
|2007||De Muze a.k.a. The Muse||John|
|2009||My Queen Karo||Raven|
|2010||The Pack||Le Gothique en toc|
|2010||Injury Time||Van Dessel||Short|
|2011||De President a.k.a. The President||Boyko|
|2011||The Gang of Oss a.k.a. De Bende van Oss||Ties van Heesch|
|2012||Rust and Bone||Ali|
|2012||Death of a Shadow||Nathan Rijckx||Short|
|2013||Chimpanzee||Narrator (Belgian Dutch version)||Documentary|
|2013||Blood Ties||Anthony Scarfo|
|2014||The Drop||Eric Deeds|
|2015||The Loft||Philip Williams|
|2015||Suite Française||Bruno von Falk|
|2015||A Little Chaos||André Le Nôtre|
|2015||Far from the Madding Crowd||Gabriel Oak|
|2015||Disorder a.k.a. Maryland||Vincent|
|2015||A Bigger Splash||Paul De Smedt|
|2015||The Danish Girl||Hans Axgil|
|2017||Our Souls at Night||Gene|
|2017||The Racer and the Jailbird a.k.a. Le Fidèle||Gigi|
|2018||Red Sparrow||Vanya Egorov|
|2001||Flikken||Jens Goossens||Episode "Corrupt"|
|2002||Stille waters||Rechercheur||1 Episode|
|2008||De Smaak van De Keyser a.k.a. The Emperor of Taste||Alfred Lenaerts||8 Episodes|
|2009||Los zand||Vincent Vandeweghe||13 Episodes|
|2010||Duts||Himself||Episode "De nieuwe buurman"|
|2015||De Biker Boys||Himself||Episode "De reconstructie"|
Awards and nominations
César Awards, France
|2013||César Award||Most Promising Actor||Rust and Bone||Won|
Magritte Awards, Belgium
|2012||Magritte Award||Best Actor||Bullhead||Won|
|2013||Best Actor||Rust and Bone||Nominated|
|2018||Best Actor||Racer and the Jailbird||Pending|
Flanders Film Awards, Belgium
Oostende Film Festival, Belgium
Lumières Awards, France
|2013||Lumières Award||Best Actor||Rust and Bone||Nominated|
Globes de Cristal Awards, France
|2013||Globes de Cristal Award||Best Actor||Rust and Bone||Nominated|
Étoiles d'Or Awards, France
|2013||Étoiles d'Or||Best Male Newcomer||Rust and Bone||Won|
Prix Patrick Dewaere, France
|2013||Prix Patrick Dewaere||Nominated|
|2003||Berlin International Film Festival||EFP Shooting Star||Won|
|2009||Monte-Carlo TV Festival||Golden Nymph for Outstanding Actor - Drama Series||De smaak van De Keyser||Nominated|
|2011||AFI Fest||New Auteurs Critic's Prize For Best Actor||Bullhead||Won|
|2011||Austin Fantastic Fest||Next Wave Award for Best Actor||Bullhead||Won|
|2011||Les Arcs European Film Festival||Best Actor||Bullhead||Won|
|2011||2-in-1 International Film Festival||Heroes Award for Best Actor||Bullhead||Won|
|2011||Saint-Jean-de-Luz Young Filmmakers Festival||Best Actor||Bullhead||Won|
|2012||Palm Springs International Film Festival||FIPRESCI Prize for Best Actor||Bullhead||Won|
|2012||Valladolid International Film Festival||Best Actor||Rust and Bone||Won|
|2015||Capri-Hollywood International Film Festival||Revelation of the Year||The Danish Girl||Won|
|2012||Dublin Film Critics' Circle||Best Actor||Rust and Bone||Nominated|
|2013||CinEuphoria Awards||Best International Actor||Bullhead||Won|
|2013||CinEuphoria Awards||Best International Actor||Rust and Bone||Won|
|2013||International Cinephile Society Awards||Best Actor||Bullhead||Nominated|
|2016||Elle Style Awards||Actor of the Year||Won|
- "How to pronounce Matthias Schoenaerts". YouTube. 11 April 2017. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- Matthias Schoenarts on IMDB
- "Matthias Schoenaerts fait Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres en France". rtbf.be (in French). 28 July 2015. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Bruno Schoenaerts op Netlog". netlog.com (in Dutch). Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts interview: 'I think cautious is boring. I want to be bad'". The Sunday Telegraph. 7 March 2015. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "They're Antiheroes: Matthias Schoenaerts on Rust and Bone". craveonline.com. 21 November 2012. Archived from the original on 14 October 2015. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts Looking for His Next Crush". Under the Radar. 20 March 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Talking love and movies with 'Belgian Brando' Matthias Schoenaerts". EW. 24 April 2015. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "9-year-old Matthias Schoenaerts playing The Little Prince with his father Julien in 1987". YouTube. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "VTi – Producties – De kleine prins (1987–1988)". data.vti.be. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Graffitimuur Matthias Schoenaerts deels gesloopt". Gazet van Antwerpen (in Dutch). 10 May 2015. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Good Morning, Matthias Schoenaerts". The New York Times. 8 March 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts graffiti". YouTube.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts: 'I have a very interesting problem with authority'". The Irish Times. 2 May 2015. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "Rundskop is een Rat". sport.be (in Dutch). 25 January 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts – Shooting Star 2003". efp-online.com. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "Meisje/Girl (2002) – Trailer". YouTube. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "eLLektra -Rudolf Mestdagh". rudolfmestdagh.com. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "A Message From Outer Space (2004) Trailer – Matthias Schoenaerts". YouTube. 12 August 2015. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "De Muze/The Muse (2007) – Trailer with Matthias Schoenaerts". YouTube. 16 December 2012. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "'Loft' breekt record van 'Koko Flanel'". De Standaard (in Dutch). 19 February 2009. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Van Baelen, Carl (17 May 2011). "Matthias Schoenaerts completes cast of 'Loft'". TheCelebrityCafe.com. Archived from the original on 3 August 2012. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "The Emperor of Taste tailer". YouTube. 14 November 2008. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Trailer My Queen Karo". YouTube. 18 January 2010. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "The Gang of Oss – Mountain Road". mountainroad.nl. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "DE PRESIDENT trailer". YouTube. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- Pond, Steve (15 January 2012). "'Starbuck' Wins Top Palm Springs Fest Award". Reuters. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts Wins Best Actor Palm Springs International Film Festival". Positive Impact Magazine. 19 January 2012. Archived from the original on 4 February 2012. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts – Young Hollywood Interview". YouTube. 26 November 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Marion Cotillard Takes Rust and Bone". ComingSoon.net. 7 September 2011. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "'Rust and Bone' helps keep French films highly visible". Los Angeles Times. 25 November 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) (2012) – JPBox-Office". jpbox-office.com.
- Richford, Rhonda (22 February 2013). "Cesar Awards: 'Amour' Wins Best Picture, 'Argo' Best Foreign Language Film". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Cérémonie des César: Matthias Schoenaerts, meilleur espoir masculin". La Libre Belgique (in French). 23 February 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Death of a Shadow – Trailer". YouTube. 28 September 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Death of a Shadow nominated for Best Live Action Short Oscar". Flandersimage.com. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (23 February 2013). "Interview: César Winner Matthias Schoenaerts Talks Oscar Nominated Short 'Death Of A Shadow'". IndieWire. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Breakout Actors of the New Season". The New York Times. 9 September 2012. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts in Disneynature's "Chimpanzee"". filmfreak.be.
- De Becker, Annelies (12 April 2012). "Schoenaerts speelt met Mila Kunis in 'Blood Ties'" (in Dutch). HLN.be. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Dang, Simon (16 April 2012). "Lili Taylor & 'The Wire' Star Domenick Lombardozzi Join 'Blood Ties'; 'Bullhead' & 'Rust & Bone' Star Matthias Schoenaerts Confirmed". IndieWire. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (23 February 2013). "Exclusive: Matthias Schoenaerts Joins 'Animal Rescue' With Tom Hardy & Noomi Rapace". IndieWire. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Bustos, Kristina (25 November 2012). "Matthias Schoenaerts joins Michelle Williams in 'Suite Française'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Carey Mulligan handpicked Matthias Schoenaerts for 'Far from the Madding Crowd'". YouTube. 29 September 2015. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- Bamigboye, Baz (11 April 2013). "BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Carey Mulligan's the new face in the Madding Crowd". Daily Mail. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (17 May 2013). "Carey Mulligan, Matthias Schoenaerts Set For Searchlight's 'Far From The Madding Crowd'". Deadline.com. PMC. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (17 January 2013). "Kate Winslet & Matthias Schoenaerts To Star in Alan Rickman Directed Period Drama 'A Little Chaos'". IndieWire. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Indie Sales Nabs Int'l Rights to Thriller 'Close Protection' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. 5 November 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Tilda Swinton, Ralph Fiennes, Margot Robbie & Matthias Schoenaerts Team For Luca Guadagnino's Sexy Thriller". Indiewire. 15 May 2014. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- "First still of "A Bigger Splash": Matthias Schoenaerts, Tilda Swinton, Dakota Johnson and Ralph Fiennes". imgur.com. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts joins Tom Hooper's The Danish Girl". Empire. 8 January 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "A lover not a fighter". The Herald. 5 March 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Two Matthias Schoenaerts' movies at Venice Film Festival". deredactie.be. 30 July 2015. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Venice Festival: Dakota Johnson, Matthias Schoenaerts to Pull Double Duty". The Hollywood Reporter. 29 July 2015. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Wallimage's eclectic first session of 2016 includes Michael Roskam and Dany Boon". cineuropa.org. 4 February 2016. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Robert Redford, Jane Fonda reunite in Netflix's Our Souls at Night". Entertainment Weekly. 9 September 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- "Robert Redford & Jane Fonda Re-Team for Our Souls at Night". ComingSoon.net. 9 September 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts talks about his next projects at ELLE Style Awards 2016". YouTube. 24 February 2016. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts werkt opnieuw samen met Thomas Vinterberg" (in Dutch). Vertigoweb.be. 26 February 2016. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts Starring in Submarine Disaster Movie 'Kursk'". Variety. 2 March 2016. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- "'Lewis And Clark' Miniseries Gets Formal Greenlight By HBO; Matthias Schoenaerts To Star With Casey Affleck". Deadline.com. 30 January 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Dakota Johnson, Matthias Schoenaerts to star in The Sound of Metal". Entertainment Weekly. 22 January 2016. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Jeremy Irons, Matthias Schoenaerts Join Jennifer Lawrence's Spy Thriller 'Red Sparrow'". Variety. 6 December 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Actor Matthias Schoenaerts Is The New Face of Louis Vuitton". Bello Mag. 11 January 2014. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- "Schoenaerts to helm 'Franky'". Variety. 16 May 2012. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- "Franky". savagefilm.be. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts prend une participation dans un bureau de casting" (in French). lesoir.be. 24 August 2015. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts à la recherche d'acteurs d'origine étrangère" (in French). deredactie.be. 25 August 2015. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "Bullhead scores at Flanders Film Awards". Flanders Image. 12 September 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts mobbed at Ostend". deredactie.be. 16 September 2015. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "BULLHEAD IS AWARD WINNER AT 2011 AFI FEST". drafthousefilms.com. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts grabs international Press Award at Palm Springs". Flanders Image. 16 January 2012. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Matthias Schoenaerts con il suo Danish girl oggi a CapriHollywood". it.celebrity.yahoo.com (in Italian). 29 December 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "'The Hateful Eight' Sweeps Capri-Hollywood Film Fest Awards". The Hollywood Reporter. 2 January 2016. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Elle Style Awards 2016: Winners List". Harper's Bazaar. 24 February 2016. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matthias Schoenaerts.|
- Matthias Schoenaerts on IMDb
- Matthias Schoenaerts at AllMovie
- Matthias Schoenaerts at Rotten Tomatoes
- Matthias Schoenaerts at AlloCiné (in French)
- Matthias Schoenaerts at the TCM Movie Database
- Matthias Schoenaerts at TVGuide.com
- Matthias Schoenaerts at Box Office Mojo
- Matthias Schoenaerts at The-Numbers.com
- Matthias Schoenaerts on 24 uur met
- Interview for Interview magazine