14 June 1983 |
|Current team||Amore & Vita–Selle SMP|
|2006||Amore e Vita|
|Jan - Jun 2014||Christina Watches–Dana|
|Jun 2014-||Amore & Vita–Selle SMP|
Mattia Gavazzi (born 14 June 1983) is an Italian road cyclist, who rides as a member of the Danish cycling team Christina Watches–Dana. In April 2010, Gavazzi was suspended by the Union Cycliste Internationale following a positive doping control for cocaine. He made his comeback in the Tour de San Luis in 2013. He is a specialist sprinter.
Mattia Gavazzi's father, Pierino Gavazzi, was also a professional rider.
He won a stage at the 2004 Baby Giro, the version of the Giro d'Italia for young amateur riders. He turned professional in 2006 for the LPR team, but joined the team Amore e Vita midway through the season. Following several good performances, he was signed by Kio Ene for the following year. He secured six victories with them in 2007, including three at the Tour of Normandy, showing his talent as a sprinter.
In 2008 he remained with the same team, who became known as Preti Mangimi. In February he achieved a second place in a stage of the Tour de la Province de Grosseto, behind Danilo Napolitano and in front of Filippo Pozzato. The following month he was again second at the Semaine Internationale Coppi et Bartali, beaten by Francesco Chicchi. In April, he won a stage of the Semaine cycliste lombarde, and in May the Tour of Tuscany, beating Chicchi.
2009 saw him sign for Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli with immediate success. He won a stage at the Tour de San Luis and dominated at the Tour de Langkawi, winning four stages and the Points classification.
In 2010 he switched to Colnago-CSF Inox and scored his first victory of the year at a Settimana Ciclistica Lombarda stage in early April. However, a urine sample taken two days previously tested positive for the presence of cocaine, and this triggered a suspension by the sport's governing body. He had previously tested positive for cocaine, and received a 14-month suspension, as an amateur in 2004.
Gavazzi made his return at the 2013 Tour de San Luis, where he won the last stage by out sprinting Slovak Peter Sagan (Cannondale). In April, he won the Giro di Toscana, a hilly race where he edged Ivan Rovny and Taylor Phinney in the sprint. At the end of the 2013 season, Gavazzi terminated his contract with Androni Giocattoli–Venezuela. Androni team manager Gianni Savio claimed that the split was due to Gavazzi demanding a guaranteed start for the 2014 Giro d'Italia. Gavazzi signed with the Christina Watches–Dana team for the 2014 season.
On 12 April 2016, it was announced that Gavazzi had been provisionally suspended by the UCI for a cocaine positive taken at the Tour of Qinghai Lake in 2015. It was his third positive test to this substance during his career.
- 1st Trofeo Gino Visentini
- 1st Trofeo Papa' Cervi
- 1st Circuito del Porto
- 1st Alta Padovana Tour
- 1st Stage 10 Girobio
- 1st Coppa San Biagio
- 1st Trofeo Lampre
- Jadranska Magistrala
- 1st Stages 2 & 3
- Tour of Normandy
- 1st Stages 1, 2a & 2b
- 1st Stage 2 Tour de Navarre
- 1st Univest GP
- 1st Stage 2 Settimana Ciclista Lombarda
- 1st Tour of Tuscany
- 1st Stage 5 Circuit de Lorraine
- 1st Stage 5 Brixia Tour
- 1st Stage 1 Tour de San Luis
- Tour de Langkawi
- 1st Points classification
- 1st Stages 1, 2, 3 & 6
- 1st Stage 3 Settimana Ciclista Lombarda
- Brixia Tour
- 1st Stages 1a & 5
- Vuelta a Venezuela
- 1st Stages 3a, 3b & 4
1st Stage 2 Settimana Ciclista Lombarda
- 1st Giro di Toscana
- 1st Stage 7 Tour de San Luis
- 1st Stage 3b Sibiu Cycling Tour
- 1st Stage 3 Vuelta a Venezuela
- 2nd Châteauroux Classic
- 1st Stages 11 & 13 Tour of Qinghai Lake
- 1st Stage 2 Tour of China I
- 1st Stage 1 Tour of China II
- 3rd Banja Luka–Belgrad I
Grand Tour general classification results timeline
|Tour de France||—|
|Vuelta a España||—|
|—||Did not compete|
|DNF||Did not finish|
- Benson, Daniel (22 January 2013). "Gavazzi begins his comeback at the Tour de San Luis". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Mattia Gavazzi positive for cocaine". CyclingNews. Future Publishing Limited. 21 April 2010. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Benson, Daniel (27 January 2013). "Diaz wins Tour de San Luis". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Gavazzi wins Giro di Toscana". Cyclingnews.com. Future plc. 28 April 2013. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- Farrand, Stephen (8 January 2014). "Gavazzi rescinds his contract with the Androni-Venezuela team". Cyclingnews.com. Future plc. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Johannesen, Jesper (30 January 2014). "Christina Watches sign Gavazzi, Rossi, and Baliani". CyclingQuotes. JJnet.dk A/S. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "Mattia Gavazzi positive for cocaine for the third time". Cyclingnews.com. Immediate Media Company. 12 April 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Profile at Cycling Archives
- Mattia Gavazzi profile at Cycling Archives