Mattress World of Michigan
|Headquarters||Genoa Charter Township, Michigan|
Number of locations
|Michigan & Indiana|
Number of employees
Mattress World, Inc., doing business as Mattress World of Michigan was a mattress retailer with stores in Michigan and seven in Indiana in the Midwestern United States. Its headquarters were in Genoa Township, Michigan, near Howell.
In a press release, Art Van stated that Mattress World catered "to a value conscious consumer who is interested in national brands at the lowest prices, selling brands such as Tempur-Pedic, Simmons, Sealy and Serta." Shandra Martinez of MLive described the chain as being "value-based". Furniture Today wrote that Mattress World was "more promotional" than Art Van, the company which acquired the chain in 2011.
In 2002 Mattress World had three stores in the state of Michigan. Mattress World was, according to a Furniture Today article, the apparent high bidder for six Mattress Discounters stores in Metro Detroit; Mattress Discounters was exiting the Michigan market.
In 2009 the company had 22 locations. In May during that year it acquired seven Mattress Gallery stores in Indianapolis; the Mattress Gallery stores, previously owned by the Indianapolis-based Today's Bedroom One, had closed in April 2009. The company planned to convert them into Mattress World locations. The stores reopened as Mattress World locations in June 2009.
In 2011 the chain had 28 stores, with 21 in Michigan and 7 in Indianapolis. One of its Michigan stores was located in Ann Arbor. At the time it had 100 employees. In May 2011 Mattress World of Michigan was acquired by Art Van Furniture which said it would keep the Mattress World name and the employees. Art Van stated that it may rebrand some stores as Art Van PureSleep. The acquisition of Mattress World gave Art Van its first stores outside of Michigan. The price of the acquisition was not disclosed. Art Van assigned Armando Murillo, previously the employee who established Pure Sleep operations outside of Michigan, as the vice president operating Mattress World.
In 2013, the Mattress World stores were closed, with the majority re-opened as Art Van PureSleep stores. Art Van PureSleep now operates 88 stores both freestanding and inside Art Van Furniture stores, in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.
- "Welcome to Mattress World of Michigan." Mattress World of Michigan. October 9, 2010. Retrieved on November 7, 2013. "Corporate: 1212 Fendt Dr, Howell, MI 48843"
- "Official Zoning Map of Genoa Charter Township." (Archive) Genoa Charter Township, Michigan. As of September 2008. Retrieved on November 8, 2013.
- Engel, Clint. "Art Van to Buy Chain." Furniture Today. May 26, 2011. Retrieved on November 7, 2013.
- Martinez, Shandra. "New strategy: How Art Van Furniture plans to jump into 20 more markets." "In July, Art Van acquired the Howell-based Mattress World, a value-based chain." MLive. March 15, 2012. Retrieved on November 8, 2013.
- Furniture Today Staff. "Art Van plans to franchise PureSleep concept nationally." Furniture Today. September 14, 2011. Retrieved on November 8, 2013.
- Duggan, Daniel. "Yost gets Art Van off the couch: CEO moves company into TVs, flooring, smaller stores." Crain's Detroit. July 24, 2011. Updated July 27, 2011. Retrieved on November 8, 2013. "In May, Art Van acquired Mattress World, a Howell-based chain of 28 freestanding mattress stores typically in bedroom communities rather than big box corridors."
- Duggan, Daniel. "Art Van acquires mattress store chain." Crain's Detroit Business. May 12, 2011. Retrieved on November 7, 2013.
- "Art Van acquires Howell-based Mattress World, expands stores through Oakland County." (Archive) Oakland County Prosper, Government of Oakland County. Monday May 16, 2011. Retrieved on November 8, 2013.
- Thomas, Larry. "Mattress Discounters sells 54 stores to Sleep Train; will exit Calif., Mich." Furniture Today. December 15, 2002. Retrieved on November 7, 2013. "The apparent high bidder for the six Detroit-area stores is Mattress World, a Michigan retailer with three other stores in the state. Newton said the Michigan company is not the same Mattress World that earlier this year purchased more than 50 Mattress Discounters stores in the Chicago market."
- Thomas, Larry. "Mattress World acquires 7 Indiana stores." Furniture Today. May 25, 2009. Retrieved on November 7, 2013.
- Schouten, Cory. "Soft sales plague furniture retailers." Indianapolis Business Journal. September 5, 2009. Retrieved on November 7, 2013.
- Bomey, Nathan. "Art Van Furniture acquires Mattress World in Michigan retail deal." The Ann Arbor News at MLive. Wednesday May 11, 2011. Retrieved on November 8, 2013.
- "WEEK ON THE WEB: Visteon board member resigns amid dispute." Crain's Detroit Business. May 15, 2011. Retrieved on November 8, 2013. "Warren-based Art Van Furniture has acquired the Howell-based Mattress World stores for an undisclosed price and will operate the stores under the Mattress World brand name."
- Welch, Sherri. "Art Van plans expansion." Crain's Detroit Business. March 11, 2012. Updated March 12, 2012. Retrieved on November 8, 2013.