|Date of birth||12 October 1989|
|Place of birth||Blackpool, England|
|2008||→ Fleetwood Town (loan)||8||(0)|
|2018||Blackpool Wren Rovers|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16:22, 19 May 2011 (UTC)|
Born in Blackpool, Lancashire, Kay made his debut for Blackpool against Scunthorpe United on 13 November 2005, in front of the Sky Sports cameras, setting a new club record as the youngest player, at 16 years 32 days, ever to play for Blackpool in a league match. Trevor Sinclair previously held the Blackpool record for a league match after his debut in 1989, at the age of 16 years 170 days. At the time, Kay was still a pupil at Collegiate High School in Blackpool. Kay signed professional terms with Blackpool in June 2006 after leaving school the previous month. On 7 May 2008 Blackpool activated an option to extend his contract with the club by one year.
On 9 June 2009, Blackpool confirmed that Kay had not been offered a new deal and that he was being released.
Fleetwood Town (loan)
After becoming a regular in the Blackpool reserve team, on 17 October 2008 Kay signed for Conference North club Fleetwood Town on loan until 22 November. He made his debut for Fleetwood on 18 October in a 2–1 home defeat at Highbury Stadium against Stalybridge Celtic. On 25 October 2008 he played in Fleetwood's FA Cup fourth qualifying round 4–3 win over Nantwich Town, which saw the club reach the First Round Proper, in which they played Leiston of the Eastern Counties League Premier Division with Kay helping Fleetwood to win the replay at Highbury Stadium 2–0 on 18 November and so reach the second round.
On 28 November 2009, Kay moved to AFC Fylde who were newly promoted into the Northern Premier League Division One North. He scored his first goal for the club on his full debut in a NPL Presidents Cup win over Warrington Town.
He joined Bamber Bridge in September 2012. where he became club captain over a number of successful league campaigns. He left the club in the summer of 2016 after being told by the manager his future did not lie with the club. However, in June 2017 he rejoined Bamber Bridge.
Following his departure from Bamber Bridge, he signed for Blackpool Wren Rovers before transferring to Squires Gate.
- "Matty's place in history". Blackpool Gazette. 14 November 2005. Retrieved 23 December 2007.
- "Accrington Stanley v Blackpool – big match verdict". Blackpool Gazette. 27 July 2006. Retrieved 23 December 2007.
- "Retained List Latest". Blackpool F.C. 7 May 2008. Archived from the original on 25 July 2008. Retrieved 7 May 2008.
- "Eight Released As Retained List Is Announced". Blackpool F.C. 9 June 2009. Archived from the original on 3 May 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2009.
- "Youngster heads to Fleetwood for a month". Blackpool F.C. 17 October 2008. Retrieved 17 October 2008.
- "Kay signs loan deal at Fleetwood". BBC Sport. 17 October 2008. Retrieved 19 May 2011.
- "Fleetwood Town 1 Stalybridge Celtic 2". Fleetwood Town F.C. 19 October 2008. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- "Fleetwood Town 4–3 Nantwich Town FT". Fleetwood Town F.C. 26 October 2008. Archived from the original on 27 August 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2008.
- "Transfer Latest". Blackpool F.C. 21 November 2008. Retrieved 21 November 2008.
- "Phil Robinson leaves Town". Fleetwood Town F.C. 30 December 2008. Retrieved 2 January 2009.
- "AFC Fylde reach quarter finals". A.F.C. Fylde. 1 December 2009. Retrieved 5 December 2009.
- "Saturday's Transfer List". Evostik League. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "THE BIG INTERVIEW: Matty Kay". Lancashire Post. 9 April 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Familiar Faces Return to Brig". Bamber Bridge FC. 16 June 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2017.