Mainwaring playing for Stockport County in 2012
|Full name||Matthew Thomas Mainwaring|
|Date of birth||28 March 1990|
|Place of birth||Salford, England|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2006–2008||Preston North End|
|2012||→ Stockport County (loan)||15||(0)|
|2013||→ Macclesfield Town (loan)||0||(0)|
|2009||Republic of Ireland U19||0||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
|Wins by KO||0|
Born in Salford, Mainwaring, came through Preston North End's Centre of Excellence youth system before signing a 12-month contract with Stockport in June 2008. This was with the intention of being part of the development squad while trying to establish himself in Stockport's first team by the end of the season.
He made his debut for the club on 30 August 2008, coming on as a substitute in a 0–3 defeat against Scunthorpe United. Hard work in the development squad was rewarded with a string of full first-team games in late January 2009, and Mainwaring scored his first professional goal in a 4–1 victory over Hereford United on 31 January 2009. Despite playing on the left wing throughout his youth career, he has preferred playing in central midfield for Stockport. He was rewarded with the club's young player of the year award and with a contract extension in May 2009.
Mainwaring was injured in a friendly pre-season match against Grimsby Town on 25 July 2009, spelled a lengthy period out of the matchday squad, being out of action for 9 months with a broken leg, in January 2010 he told the Stockport Express "I've been out for five months and I'm desperate to get back. I'm not back in training yet but I'm doing a lot of running and strength work and I've been doing a lot of exercises to rebuild my calf muscle. In September 2011 he was released by the club by mutual consent having not featured in the team for the 2011–12 season.
Hull City and Stockport return
He went on trial with Hull City in November 2011 and subsequently signed a contract with the club in January 2012. But he returned to former club Stockport County on loan. He stayed at the club until April 2012 and was subsequently released by Hull. In September 2012 he re-joined Stockport on non-contract terms. and in October he signed on contract terms until 1 January 2013. He finished the 2012–13 season having played 31 games, scoring just the one goal, scoring in a 3–1 win over Barrow.
On 3 August 2013, he signed for Conference Premier side Hyde following Stockport's relegation to the Conference North. He made his debut for Hyde on 24 August 2013, in a 2–2 drawe away at Wrexham. On 28 November, he went on a month's loan to Conference Premier rivals Macclesfield Town.
Professional boxing record
|2 wins (0 knockouts, 2 decisions), 0 losses|
|Win||1–0||Victor Edagha||PTS||4||12 December 2015||Winter Gardens, Blackpool, Lancashire||Professional boxing debut.|
|Win||2–0||Tommy Carter||PTS||4||24 June 2016||Middleton Arena, Middleton, Greater Manchester|
In 2004, Mainwaring won the chance to appear on the Children's TV show, 'Really Bend it Like Beckham' where he appeared as a young hotshot. He got the chance to meet at-the-time Manchester United player David Beckham.
Speaking after the programme in 2004, David Beckham said: "What I think impressed me about Matthew was when he was up against another of the hotshots Mollie, he was giving her a little bit of a chance, whereas some young kids wouldn't care. They just want to do their best and go straight through whether it's a girl or a boy. But that's what impressed me, he was a caring person. He was congratulating Mollie and saying well done to her. That's what I realised and recognised throughout the day ... and he's a great talent of course."
- "County Complete Signing Of Matty Mainwaring?". VitalStockport. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Matty Mainwaring contract interview". Premium TV. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Stockport 0-3 Scunthorpe". BBC Sport. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Stockport 4-1 Hereford". BBC Sport. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Youngster handed contract extension". Sky Sports. 6 May 2009. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "The road to recovery". Stockport Express. 6 January 2010.
- "Stockport County cancel Matty Mainwaring's contract". BBC Sport. 9 September 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Midfielder arrives on loan". Stockport County F.C. 18 January 2012.
- "Main return?". Vital Stockport. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "County bring back Mainwaring". Pitchero Non League. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Stockport keep hold of Mainwaring". NonLeagueDaily.com. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Stockport 3 - 1 Barrow". BBC Sport. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Hyde FC sign Matty Mainwaring & Will Haining ahead of new season". BBC Sport. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Wrexham 2-2 Hyde". BBC Sport. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Macclesfield Town sign Hyde's Matty Mainwaring on loan". BBC Sport. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Chester bring in Mainwaring". Pitchero Non League. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Mainwaring ready to seize his chance". Chester Chronicle. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Mainwaring joins Celtic". Pitchero Non League. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "McCaffrey makes changes to Under-19 squad for training camp". Football Association of Ireland. 14 May 2009. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "International class". Stockport Express. 20 May 2009. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matty Mainwaring.|