Maud S. Mandel
|18th President of Williams College|
|Assumed office |
July 1, 2018
|Preceded by||Protik Majumder|
|Born||14 June 1967|
|Alma mater||Oberlin College |
University of Michigan
|Sub-discipline||French history, Jewish history, Islamic–Jewish relations|
Maud Mandel (born June 14, 1967) is the 18th and current President of Williams College, Massachusetts, USA. Mandel was previously a Professor of History and Judaic Studies and Dean of the College at Brown University. She specialises in twentieth-century French history, with a particular focus on the interaction of Muslim, Jewish, and Armenian communities in France.
Early life and education
Mandel received her BA in English from Oberlin College in 1989. In 1993, she received an MA from the University of Michigan, followed in 1998 by a PhD in Modern Jewish History from the same institution.
In 1997, she joined the Brown faculty as a visiting assistant professor in the History department.
Mandel's scholarship focuses on ethnic and religious minorities in twentieth-century France. She has written about immigration, nationalism, integration, and inter-ethnic relations. Mandel has particularly emphasized the Muslim, Jewish, and Armenian communities in France and has investigated how these groups interact with each other and with broader society.
In June 2014, Mandel was named Dean of the College. In this role, she prioritized Brown's advising programs and the development of skills through the undergraduate curriculum. Specific projects led by Mandel include establishment of the Brown Learning Collaborative that stresses liberal arts competencies teaching "through a peer-to-peer approach," 1stY@Brown online coursework that prepares incoming students for undergraduate curriculum rigors, and overseeing the opening of the First-Generation College and Low-Income Student Center.
- In the Aftermath of Genocide: Armenians and Jews in Twentieth Century France. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2003. ISBN 0822331217.
- Muslims and Jews in France: History of a Conflict. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2014. ISBN 9781400848584.
- Colonialism and the Jews. Edited by Ethan Katz, Lisa Moses Leff, and Maud Mandel. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 2017. ISBN 9780253024626.
- "Williams College President Mandel, Maud S." specialcollections.williams.edu. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- "Mandel, Maud". vivo.brown.edu. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "Maud Mandel named dean of the College". news.brown.edu. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "Maud Mandel: A welcome interview with the Dean of the College". BlogDailyHerald. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "President-Elect". Office of the President. Retrieved 13 March 2018.
- "People — The College". www.brown.edu. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- Zappa, Joseph. "Maud Mandel named new dean of the College". Brown Daily Herald. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "Dean of the College Maud S. Mandel named 18th president of Williams College". news.brown.edu. Retrieved 13 March 2018.
- "Maud Mandel named President of Williams College". president.williams.edu. Retrieved 6 July 2018.