||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Maude Victoria Barlow|
May 24, 1947 |
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Occupation||author and activist|
|Known for||The Council of Canadians, Food & Water Watch, World Future Council.|
Maude Victoria Barlow (born May 24, 1947) is a Canadian author. She is the National Chairperson of the Council of Canadians, a citizens’ advocacy organization with members and chapters across Canada. She is also the co-founder of the Blue Planet Project, which works internationally for the human right to water. Maude chairs the board of Washington-based Food & Water Watch, is a founding member of the San Francisco–based International Forum on Globalization, and a Councillor with the Hamburg-based World Future Council. In 2008/2009, she served as Senior Advisor on Water to the 63rd President of the United Nations General Assembly. She has authored and co-authored 16 books.
Maude Barlow is the recipient of 12 honorary doctorates as well as many awards, including the 2005 Right Livelihood Award, the Citation of Lifetime Achievement which she received at the 2008 Canadian Environment Awards, the 2009 Earth Day Canada Outstanding Environmental Achievement Award, the 2009 Planet in Focus Eco Hero Award, and the 2011 EarthCare Award, the highest international honour of the Sierra Club (U.S.).
- Parcel of Rogues: How Free Trade Is Failing Canada – Key Porter Books, Toronto (1990)
- Take Back the Nation (with Bruce Campbell) – Key Porter Books, Toronto (1992)
- Take Back the Nation 2 (with Bruce Campbell) – Key Porter Books, Toronto (1993)
- Class Warfare: The Assault on Canada’s Schools (with Heather-Jane Robertson) – Key Porter Books, Toronto (1994) ISBN 1-55013-559-7.
- Straight through the Heart: How the Liberals Abandoned the Just Society (with Bruce Campbell) – Harper Collins, Toronto (1995) ISBN 0-00-638580-X.
- The Big Black Book: The Essential Views of Conrad and Barbara Amiel Black (with Jim Winter) – Stoddart, Toronto (1997) ISBN 0-7737-5904-2.
- MAI: The Multilateral Agreement on Investment and the Threat to Canadian Sovereignty (with Tony Clarke) – Stoddart (1997) ISBN 0-7737-5946-8.
- MAI: The Multilateral Agreement on Investment and the Threat to American Freedom (with Tony Clarke) – Stoddart, Toronto (1998)
- The Fight of My Life: Confessions of an Unrepentant Canadian – Harper Collins, Toronto (1998) ISBN 0-00-255761-4.
- MAI: The Multilateral Agreement on Investment Round 2; New Global and Internal Threats to Canadian Sovereignty (with Tony Clarke) – Stoddart, Toronto (1998)
- Frederick Street: Life and Death on Canada’s Love Canal (with Elizabeth May) – Harper Collins, Toronto (2000)
- Global Showdown: How the New Activists Are Fighting Global Corporate Rule (with Tony Clarke) – Stoddart, Toronto (2001) ISBN 0-7737-3264-0.
- Blue Gold: The Battle Against Corporate Theft of the World’s Water (with Tony Clarke) – Stoddart, Toronto (2002) ISBN 0-7710-1086-9.
- Profit Is Not the Cure: A Citizen’s Guide to Saving Medicare – McCelland & Stewart, Toronto (2002) ISBN 0-7710-1084-2.
- Too Close For Comfort; Canada’s Future Within Fortress North America – McClelland & Stewart, Toronto (2005) ISBN 0-7710-1088-5.
- Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Fight for the Right to Water – McClelland & Stewart, Toronto (October 16, 2007) ISBN 978-0-7710-1072-9. Also available in French, Arabic, Japanese, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Turkish, and Spanish.
- The Silent Revolution: Media, Democracy, and the Free Trade Debate. University of Ottawa Press, Ottawa. 1990. ISBN 978-0776602967.
- Trading Freedom: How Free Trade Affect our Lives, Work, and Environment – Institute for Policy Studies, Washington (1992)
- The American Review of Canadian Studies – Twentieth Anniversary Issue of The Association for Canadian Studies in the United States, Washington (1992)
- Crossing the Line: Canada and Free Trade With Mexico- New Star Publications, Vancouver (1992)
- The Charlottetown Accord, the Referendum, and the Future of Canada – University of Toronto Press, Toronto (1993)
- The Trojan Horse: Alberta and the Future of Canada – Black Rose Books, Edmonton (1995)
- The Case Against the Global Economy – Sierra Club Books, New York (1996)
- Globalization and the Live Performing Arts, Conference Papers – Monash University, Melbourne (2001)
- Alternatives to Economic Globalization, a Report of the International Forum on Globalization – Berrett-Koehler Publishers, San Francisco (2002)
- Whose Water Is It? The Unquenchable Thirst of a Water-Hungry World – Edited by Bernadette McDonald and Douglas Jehl, National Geographic, Washington (2003)
- Meeting the Global Challenge: Competitive Position and Strategic Response – BMA Program, Edited by Tom Wesson, York University Press, Toronto (2004)
- Globalization, Human Rights & Citizenship, An Anthology From the Gannett Lecture Series – Rochester Institute of Technology, Edited by Robert Manning – trade paperback (2005)
- Blue Gold: The Global Water Crisis and the Commodification of the World’s Water Supply – International Forum on Globalization, San Francisco (June 1999)
- The Free Trade Area of the Americas, The Threat to Social Programs, Environmental Sustainability and Social Justice – International Forum on Globalization, San Francisco (February 2001)
- The World Trade Organization and the Threat to Canada’s Social Programs – The Council of Canadians, Ottawa (September 2001)
- Profit is not the Cure: A Call to Action on the Future of Health Care in Canada – The Council of Canadians, Ottawa (Winter 2002)
- Making the Links, A Citizen’s Guide to the World Trade Organization and the Free Trade Area of the Americas (with Tony Clarke) – The Council of Canadians, Ottawa (Summer 2003)
- The Global Fight Against Privatization of Water – Annual Report, The World Forum on Alternatives, Geneva (April 2004)
- The Canada We Want, A Citizen’s Alternative to Deep Integration – The Council of Canadians, Ottawa (March 2004)
Barlow is featured in two other recent documentaries about water rights issues: Irena Salina's documentary Flow: For Love of Water, and Liz Marshall's Water on the Table. Barlow also contributes to a blog associated with Water on the Table.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maude Barlow.|
- The Council of Canadians – Maude Barlow
- Blue Planet Project
- Maude Barlow Interview with Jeff Fleischer of Mother Jones
- Maude Barlow on the Need for Water Justice – video report by Democracy Now!
- Video: Maude Barlow: "The World Has Divided into Rich and Poor as at No Time in History"
- Video: Maude Barlow: "The Continued Destruction of the Earth Can Go on Quite Happily"
- Right Livelihood Award
- Huffington Post (Canada) – Maude Barlow
- Watch Democracy à la Maude at NFB.ca