|Privately held company|
|Founded||Lahaina, Hawaii, U.S. (1980)|
|Walter Hester, CEO|
Mike Dalton, President
|Products||Sunglasses, eyewear, apparel|
As of 2015, the company was the third largest producer of sunglasses in the world.
The company's roots began in 1980 when a fisherman named Jim Richards began selling sunglasses on the beaches of Maui, Hawaii. He was known as the original "Maui Jim". Several years later, the company developed polarized sunglasses to protect eyes from glare and ultraviolet rays.
In 1994, Illinois-based RLI Vision became the mainland distributor for the company, then called Maui Jim Sunglasses.
In 1996, the company bought RLI Vision from its parent company, Peoria, Illinois-based RLI Corp., and named the new combined entity Maui Jim Inc. The transaction was structured such that RLI Corp became a major shareholder in Maui Jim, and the company moved its headquarters to Peoria. The company kept an office in Maui.
In June 2006, the company opened its first prescription lab in Peoria, IL.
As of 2016, the company sold 125 different styles of polarized sunglasses in over 100 countries. In addition to their non-prescription sports and fashion sunglasses, Maui Jim also produces prescription lenses for their designs including progressive lenses.
The company's glasses incorporate a patented polarization technology called PolarizedPlus2.
Besides its Peoria headquarters, Maui Jim maintains an office and store front in Lahaina, Hawaii, a Canadian office in Mississauga, Ontario, and a European headquarters in Braunschweig, Germany.
The company sponsors college basketball's Maui Invitational Tournament, called the Maui Jim Maui Invitational. The company also sponsors professional marathoner Meb Keflezighi and golfer Ernie Els, who are brand ambassadors.
- "Extra: For Maui Jim, one simple word says it all — aloha". pjstar.com. 2015-09-23. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- "Company Overview of RLI Vision Corp". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- Jargon, Julie (2005-12-05). "Do baby boomers equal bright future?". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Company Overview of Maui Jim, Inc". bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Maui Jim buys RLI Vision". bizjournals.com. 1996-12-18. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Maui Jim Sunglasses is passionate about giving back". lahainanews.com. 2014-01-23. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Maui Jim acquires Zeal Optics". visionmonday.com. 2018-07-05. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Optical Lab Leaders: Tech Titan: Paul Ponder". opticallabproducts.com. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Sunday BIZ: Zeal President John Sanchez On Building An Uncommon Brand". adventuresportsnetwork.com. 2012-11-24. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Maui Jim Enhances Service to Europe With New Lab in Germany". snewsnet.com. 2011-05-06. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- Eleni Gill, Lorin (2015-03-11). "Maui Jim is title sponsor of Maui Invitational basketball tournament". bizjournals.com. American City Business Journals. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Cult sunglass brand Maui Jim gets into eyeglasses". fastcompany.com. 2015-03-11. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Top Vendors in the Global Sunglasses Market". technavio.com. 2016-08-24. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Tarter: Aloha spirit goes hand-in-hand with sales growth". eastpeoriatimescourier.com. 2015-03-13. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Maui Jim retains status as Best Sunglass Company". dfnionline.com. 2016-01-13. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Maui Jim Canada, Inc". manta.com. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Meb Keflezighi Is Running the NYC Marathon—But Will He Make a Run for the Tokyo Olympics?". runnersworld.com. 2018-10-08. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- "Maui Jim". ernieels.com. Retrieved 2018-11-08.