Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|West Bengal University of Technology|
|Motto||In Pursuit of Knowledge and Excellence|
|Established||15 January 2000|
|Chancellor||Governor of West Bengal|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU|
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, West Bengal (MAKAUT, WB), formerly West Bengal University of Technology (WBUT), is a state university located in Kolkata, India. Founded in 2000 and funded initially by the Government of West Bengal, MAKAUT, WB provides facilities for the pursuit of degree and advanced-level courses in engineering, management and other professional areas through affiliated institutions and in-house departments.
The government of West Bengal set up an Expert Committee on December 31, 1998, under the chairmanship of Ashesh Prasad Mitra to explore the necessity, field and scope for the establishment of an 'Engineering and Technology' university in the state of West Bengal. Following their review, they decided that existing and forthcoming engineering and technology colleges needed the guidance of a technological university for the inclusive growth and improvement of technological education.
The proposition to set up West Bengal University of Technology (WBUT) was started by a committee in 1998; it formally came into existence on August 5, 2000. It started functioning with the assumption of office of the first vice chancellor on January 15, 2001 as a sequel to the promulgation of the West Bengal University of Technology Act 2000, under the West Bengal Act XV of 2000 passed by the West Bengal legislature and published in the Calcutta Gazette (Extraordinary) dated July 20, 2000. The Act contemplates a General Council, an Executive Council, an Academic Council, a Finance Committee and an Advisory Council as its regulatory and advisory bodies.
The university in-house department first started with formerly IIIT-C (Indian Institute of Information Technology-Calcutta) and used to offer B.E. degree course in Information Technology.
The renaming of the university from West Bengal University of Technology to Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, West Bengal in April 2015 led to agitation in the student community and across the colleges affiliated to the university
Schools and departments
The university has eight departments in four schools:
- School of Biotechnology & Biological Sciences
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Bio-informatics
- School of Engineering & Technology
- Department of Materials science and Technology
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Industrial Engineering and Management
- Department of Microelectronics and VLSI Technology
- School of Management & Sciences
- Department of Management
- Department of Natural Sciences
The University, which began operating from the West Bengal State Archives Building located at 43 Shakespeare Sarani, Kolkata 700017, India is currently located at BF 142, Sector I, Salt Lake, Kolkata 700064, India with area of 45000 sq.ft. with another 20,000 sq.ft. at AQ 13/1, Sector V, Salt Lake 700091.
The University would have a permanent main campus of approximately 40 acres of land at Haringhata, District nadia, provided by the Government of West Bengal. Hostels have been built to accommodate both men and women students.
- Army Institute of Management, Kolkata
- Coochbehar Government Engineering College
- National Institute of Technical Teachers' Training and Research, Kolkata
- Ghani Khan Choudhury Institute of Engineering & Technology
- Jalpaiguri Government Engineering College
- Kalyani Government Engineering College
- Purulia Government Engineering College
- Government College of Engineering and Ceramic Technology
- Government College of Engineering and Leather Technology
- Government College of Engineering & Textile Technology Serampore
- Government College of Engineering & Textile Technology, Berhampore
- College of Engineering & Management, Kolaghat
- List of universities in West Bengal
- List of educational institutions in West Bengal
- Distance Education Council
- University Grants Commission (India)
- Narula Institute of Technology
- "Affiliated Colleges of West Bengal University of Technology".
- School of Information Technology
- Today, Kolkata. "State to name WBUT after Maulana Abul Kalam Azad". kolkatatoday.com. kolkatatoday.com. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "Depts & Schools". www.wbut.ac.in. Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, West Bengal (Formerly known as West Bengal University of Technology) - Depts & Schools. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- "Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, West Bengal (Formerly known as West Bengal University of Technology) - About Us". www.wbut.ac.in. Retrieved 2018-07-11.
- "Accreditations". West Bengal University of Technology.
- "Accreditation". National Assessment and Accreditation Council.
- "Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, West Bengal (Formerly known as West Bengal University of Technology) - Affiliated College Links of MAKAUT,WB". www.wbut.ac.in. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- "College of Engineering and Management, Kolaghat". www.cemkolaghat.org. Retrieved 2019-02-04.