Maulana Azad National Urdu University
|Chancellor||Firoz Bakht Ahmed|
|Vice-Chancellor||Syed Ainul Hasan|
|Students||Approx. 7000 (campus)|
|Campus||Urban, 200 acres|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU|
Maulana Azad National Urdu University is a Central University located in the city of Hyderabad in the Indian state of Telangana. It was named after Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, India's first Minister of Education, a freedom fighter in India's struggle for independence, and a scholar of Islam and Urdu literature. It was the only Urdu university in India until the second university was built in the city of Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh in 2015.
The university was established by an Act of the Parliament in January 1998, with an All India jurisdiction to promote and develop the Urdu language and to impart vocational and technical Education in Urdu medium through conventional and distance modes. The university has been awarded "A" Grade by National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC).
The university's headquarter at Gachibowli houses buildings for Administration, School of Languages, Linguistics and Indology, School of Education and Training, School of Arts and Social Sciences, School of Mass Communication and Journalism, School of Computer Science & Information Technology, Saiyid Hamid Library, Polytechnic, ITI, UGC-Human Resource Development Centre; Instructional Media Center; Directorate of Distance Education(DDE); Center for Women Studies; Center for Urdu Language; Literature and Culture; Center for Professional Development of Urdu Medium Teachers; Al-Beruni Centre for the study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy; H.K Sherwani Center for Deccan studies and others.
The University has a satellite campus in Lucknow and a campus at Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir). There are Colleges of Teacher Education in Bhopal, Darbhanga, Srinagar, Aurangabad, Sambhal, Asansol, Nuh, Bidar which are guided through School of Education and Training. The University runs four Polytechnic Colleges in Bengaluru, Darbhanga, Hyderabad and Cuttack; four ITIs in Bengaluru, Darbhanga, Hyderabad and Cuttack; and three Urdu Model Schools in Darbhanga, Hyderabad and Nuh (Meewat).
Organisation and administration
Firoz Bakht Ahmed was appointed chancellor of Maulana Azad National Urdu University on 17 May 2018.
Schools and Departments
The Regular mode programs are imparted through 7 School of Studies:
- Languages, Linguistics & Indology
- Commerce & Business Management
- Mass Communication & Journalism
- Computer Science & Information Technology
- Arts & Social Sciences
- Education & Training
The Department s under the 7 School are:
School of Languages, Linguistics & Indology
- Department of Arabic
- Department of English
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Persian
- Department of Urdu
- Department of Translation studies
School of Commerce & Business Management
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Management Studies
School of Mass Communication & Journalism
- Department of Journalism & Mass Communication
School of Computer Science & Information Technology
- Department of Computer Science & Information Technology
School of Arts & Social Sciences
- Department of Islamic Studies
- Department of Economics
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Women Education
School of Education & Training
- Department of Education & Training
School of Sciences
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Botany
- Department of Zoology
The Departments are currently offering 84 programs and courses, (25 PhD; 21 PG; 10 UG, 05 PG Diploma and 05 Diploma programs and 2 Certificate courses.
The university is home to the Maulna Azad Library, which was established in 1998. The library subscribes to 27 periodicals in Urdu, 129 in English, nine in Hindi and 40 popular magazines apart from 13 newspapers in Urdu, English, Telugu and Hindi.
Vice-President Hamid Ansari delivered the first Mohammed Quli Qutub Shah memorial lecture at Maulana Azad Urdu University.
- "MANUU gets new Chancellor". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 17 May 2018. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 13 June 2021.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "President Ram Nath Kovind approves appointments of vice chancellors of 12 central universities: Ministry of education". The Times of India 13:29 IST. 23 July 2021. Retrieved 23 July 2021.
- India, The Hans (24 May 2020). "Hyderabad: Maulana Azad National Urdu University students sent home successfully". www.thehansindia.com. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- "MANUU, Hyderabad sends stranded boarder, non-boarder students to their hometowns by special trains". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- "MANUU gets 'A' grade from NAAC". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 31 May 2016. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 13 June 2021.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Akula, AuthorYuvraj. "MANUU students against online classes". Telangana Today. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- "Maulana Azad Library". Maulana Azad National Urdu University. Archived from the original on 25 April 2009. Retrieved 7 April 2009.
- Ifthekhar, J. S. (17 March 2014). "Learn the language of love". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 6 June 2020.
- "Hamid Ansari to visit Hyderabad on Apr 13 | INDToday". 7 April 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2021.