This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran|
May 24, 1955
October 22, 1982 (aged 27)|
Chiang Mai, Thailand
|Occupation||Zen Buddhist monk|
Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran (May 24, 1955 - October 22, 1982) was an Irish American Zen Buddhist monk. She is known for her book Pure Heart, Enlightened Mind, which was posthumously published, and for being the "first of few Western women allowed to practice in a traditional Japanese Zen monastery".
O'Halloran was born in Boston, Massachusetts in 1955 and her parents moved to Ireland when she was four years old. There she was educated in a convent school in County Dublin and later attended Trinity College Dublin, where she graduated with a joint degree in mathematical economics/statistics and sociology. Shortly after her graduation O'Halloran traveled to northern Japan, where she studied to become a Zen monk at Toshoji in Tokyo and at Kannonji in the Iwate Prefecture. After a three-year period she was given the Buddhist name of "Soshin-san" on August 8, 1982, upon which point she decided to travel back to Ireland. O'Halloran died in a traffic accident in Chiang Mai, Thailand on October 22, 1982. After her death she was titled "Great Enlightened Lady, of the same heart and mind as the Great Teacher Buddha" and a statue was dedicated to her at the temple she studied at in Iwate Prefecture.
- Reynolds (editor), David K. (1993). Plunging Through the Clouds. State Univ of New York Press. p. 221. ISBN 0791413136.
- Woodhouse, Mark (1 October 1999). "PAINTED CAKES: BUILDING A PATH TO BUDDHISM". Library Journal. 124, Issue 16 (16): 57.
- Bourke, Angela (2002). The Field Day Anthology of Irish Writing - Volume 4. NYU Press. pp. 603, 617–619, 621–622. ISBN 081479906X.
- O'Faolain, Nuala (2011). A Radiant Life: The Selected Journalism of Nuala O'Faolain. Harry N. Abrams. pp. 76–79. ISBN 0810998068.
- Besserman, Perle (2007). A New Zen for Women. Palgrave Macmillan. p. 114. ISBN 1403972141.
- "Pure Heart Enlightened Mind (Review)". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- Elie, Paul (4 November 1994). "Title:Pure Heart, Enlightening Mind: The Zen Journals of Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran". Commonweal. 121 (2): 30. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- Maughan, Shannon (23 June 1997). "Turning up the volume: led by an invigorated Audio Publishers Association, the audiobook industry made a strong showing". Publishers Weekly. 244 (25): 63.
- Pure heart, enlightened mind: the Zen journal & letters of Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran WorldCat
- O'Halloran, Maura Soshin (2007). Pure Heart, Enlightened Mind: The Life and Letters of an Irish Zen Saint. Wisdom Publications. ISBN 978-0-86171-283-0.
- Pure Heart Enlightened Mind - The Zen Journal and Letters of Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran, Sarah Fremerman
- Photos of Maura from Tenku's Flickr page