|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (February 2013)|
|Alma mater||SUNY at Stony Brook and Pace University|
|Notable awards||2015 and 2011 National Indie Excellence Awards|
Maura Stone (born 1955) is a contemporary American author. With the publication of her first novel, "Five-Star FLEECING" in December 2009, she was described as a "promising new star in the literary world" by the Queens Gazette on 6/2/2010. The book was reviewed on 2/8/2010 by renowned literary critic Harriet Klausner who labeled it as a "superb scathing satire of the hospitality business." It was also reviewed by the Midwest Book Review on 4/3/2010 as a "humorous delve into the underworld of class, highly recommended." Five-Star FLEECING is the winner of the 2011 National Indie Excellence Award in the category of comedy.
Miss Stone's book is loosely based on true events through her occupation in one of Manhattan's high-rise luxury hotels. Through her firsthand experience of the seedy, underhanded and often illegal activities, she exposed the realities of the hospitality industry, albeit with a humorous twist. Many in the industry have self-identified with the characters in her book, and have lashed out at her in their paranoia.
Educated first in France (L'Universite de Poitiers en La Rochelle and La Sorbonne, Paris), she went on to earn a BA from SUNY at Stony Brook and an MBA in international marketing at Pace University. Maura was a commercial banker who operated a credit/credit risk consulting company for over ten years with some of the top financial institutions as her clients. During this time, she took a year off to work in the hospitality industry, the subject matter of her first book. Miss Stone is also fluent in French. Maura contributes her sense of humour in part to her third cousin Sam Levenson who was a popular American humorist, writer, television host and journalist. She spent much of her childhood and adult summers with him at her family's home in the Catskills, maintaining a close relationship with him until his death in 1980.
||This article has an unclear citation style. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (March 2012) (|
- Wall Street And The Hospitality Industry Receive A Five-Star Fleecing | www.qgazette.com | Queens Gazette. www.qgazette.com (2010-06-02). Retrieved on 2011-08-14.
- Harriet Klausner. TIME (2006-12-16). Retrieved on 2011-08-14.
- Five-Star FLEECING. BookCrossing.com (2010-02-08). Retrieved on 2011-08-14.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- MBR: Small Press Bookwatch, April 2010. Midwestbookreview.com (2010-04-04). Retrieved on 2011-08-14.
- Indie Excellence® Awards 2011 Book Award Winners. Indieexcellence.com. Retrieved on 2011-08-14.
- Township Journal - Christmas in July: It’s not too early to plan for the holiday season - Straus Newspapers. Strausnews.com (2010-07-14). Retrieved on 2011-08-14.
-  Archived March 30, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- http://www.maurastone.com Official website