Maureen Ruth Furniss is a writer, animation historian, animation theorist, critic, professor, and president of the Society for Animation Studies. Furniss served as a professor at the California Institute of Arts, Savannah College of Art and Design, University of Southern California, and Chapman University.
Furniss attended San Diego State University, studied "Telecommunications and Film," received a bachelor's degree in 1983 and a master's degree in 1987. In 1994 she received a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) from University of Southern California in 1994 using the dissertation "Things of the Spirit: A Study of Abstract Film."
- Chuck Jones: Conversations - Contains many interviews related to Chuck Jones
- Art in Motion: Animation Aesthetics
- The Animation Bible: A Practical Guide to the Art of Animating from Flipbooks to Flash
- Things of the Spirit: A Study of Abstract Animation
- "ABOUT THE EDITOR." Animation Journal. Retrieved on February 18, 2009.
- "Back in the 'Family' way[permanent dead link]," The Daily Iowan
- "A Home for Heroes Archived 2013-05-12 at the Wayback Machine." University of Technology Sydney
- "Contact." Society for Animation Studies.
- "Maureen Furniss Archived 2007-07-31 at archive.today," California Institute of the Arts
- "Le Joueur d'Échecs/The Chess Player (1927).Directed by Raymond Bernard." Johns Hopkins University.
- "Electronic Newsletter Volume II Issue 4 Summer 2004 Edition," San Diego State University
- "Maureen Furniss Adjunct Faculty Archived 2008-03-16 at the Wayback Machine. University of Southern California.
- "Chapman University Graduate Catalog." Chapman University
- "Chuck Jones," Encarta. Archived 2009-11-01.
- "Animation journal," Intute
- "Chuck Jones: Conversations," University Press of Mississippi
- ""What's New" Archives: March 2005 Archived 2008-01-27 at the Wayback Machine," Michael Barrier website
- "Art in Motion Animation Aesthetics," Indiana University Press
- "Art in Motion: Animation Aesthetics." Amazon.com
- "Art in Motion: Animation Aesthetics," John Libbey Publishing
- "The Animation Bible: A Practical Guide to the Art of Animating from Flipbooks to Flash." Amazon.com
- "Things of the Spirit: A Study of Abstract Animation." Google Books
- Art in Motion: Animation Aesthetics at Google Books
- Furniss' Animation History Classes website[permanent dead link]
- Motion Capture
- The Collected Shorts of Jan Svankmajer, produced by Kimstim Films, DVD from Kino International, 2005
- Art in Motion: Animation Aesthetics book review by Giannalberto Bendazzi - Hosted on Animation World Network