Maureen O'Sullivan (politician)
O'Sullivan in 2013
10 March 1951 |
East Wall, Dublin, Ireland
|Alma mater||University College Dublin|
Maureen O'Sullivan (born 10 March 1951) is an Irish independent politician. She has been a Teachta Dála (TD) for the Dublin Central constituency since June 2009. She was first elected to Dáil Éireann on 6 June 2009 in a by-election.
A native of Dublin's East Wall, she was educated locally at Mount Carmel school. After completing a BA at University College Dublin, she then went on to work as an English and History teacher and guidance counsellor in a secondary school in Baldoyle, a position she held for 30 years.
She was a member of Tony Gregory's local political organisation in the 1970s, first canvassing for him and later serving as his director of elections. She was co-opted onto Dublin City Council for the North Inner City area from September 2008 to June 2009 after the retirement of Mick Rafferty. After the death of Tony Gregory, she won the resulting by-election which was held on the same day as the local elections where she also won a seat on Dublin City Council, for the North Inner City electoral area. Marie Metcalfe was co-opted to take the seat due to the dual mandate rule; subsequently Anna Quigley replaced Metcalfe on the council, who was in turn replaced by Mel MacGiobúin in March 2014. MacGiobúin failed to be elected at the local elections held in May.
She described a proposal for political gender quota legislation as "tokenistic" and that women were able to get themselves nominated for election.
In December 2015, Maureen O'Sullivan and fellow independent TDs Clare Daly and Mick Wallace each put forward offers of a €5,000 surety for a 23-year-old man being prosecuted under terrorism legislation in the Special Criminal Court in Dublin charged with membership of an illegal dissident republican terrorist organisation.
After the 2016 general election she unsuccessfully stood for election as Ceann Comhairle. She joined a technical group aligned with Independents 4 Change, while remaining outside the Independents 4 Change party.
- "Mrs. Maureen O'Sullivan". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 8 September 2009.
- "Maureen O'Sullivan". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 7 June 2009.
- Marie O'Halloran (8 June 2009). "O'Sullivan dedicates her victory to Tony Gregory's legacy". The Irish Times. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
- "TDs agree to form technical group". The Irish Times. 9 March 2011.
- "Political gender quota legislation planned". RTÉ News. Retrieved 28 May 2011.
- Hickey, Daniel (17 December 2015). "Mick Wallace and Clare Daly among sureties on bail application for man arrested on IRA and explosive charges". Irish Independent. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Bardon, Sarah (1 June 2016). "Ministers told they must seek permission to miss Dáil votes over 'delicate voting situation'". The Irish Times. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
|Independent Teachta Dála for Dublin Central