Hurt at Redskins training camp in 2011.
|No. -- Free agent|
|Position:||Guard / Offensive tackle|
|Date of birth:||September 8, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Milledgeville, Georgia|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||329 lb (149 kg)|
|High school:||Milledgeville (GA) Baldwin|
|NFL Draft:||2011 / Round: 7 / Pick: 217|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2013|
Sparrow Maurice "Mo" Hurt, Jr. (born September 8, 1987) is an American football guard and offensive tackle who has previously played in the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the University of Florida, and was a member of two BCS National Championship teams. He was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL Draft. He is currently a free agent.
Hurt was born in Milledgeville, Georgia, and named for his father, Sparrow Maurice Hurt. He attended Baldwin High School in Milledgeville, and played high school football for the Baldwin Braves.
Hurt accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida, where he played for coach Urban Meyer's Florida Gators football team from 2006 to 2010. He played in three games as a true freshman in 2006, but was subsequently redshirted by his coaches. As a redshirt sophomore in 2008, he was a member of the Gators' SEC Championship team, and played in the 2009 BCS Championship Game in which the Gators defeated the Oklahoma Sooners 24–14.
Hurt was drafted in the 2011 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. He was waived on September 3, 2011, but signed to the practice squad on September 4, 2011. On October 19, 2011, Hurt was signed to the active roster. In Week 9 against San Francisco 49ers, Hurt made his NFL debut and first career start as left guard of the offensive line. Hurt continued to start as the left guard for the rest of the season replacing Kory Lictensteiger, who was out for the season due to tearing his ACL.
During the 2012 offseason, Hurt stated that he was getting practice reps at the tackle position. During training camp, he split snaps at left guard with Josh LeRibeus after Kory Lichtensteiger had arthroscopic surgery and split snaps at right tackle with Tyler Polumbus and Willie Smith after Jammal Brown was placed on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. After playing as a reserve guard for most of the season, Hurt started at right tackle in Week 16 against the Philadelphia Eagles for Tyler Polumbus, who suffered a concussion in the previous game.
Hurt was placed on the Redskins PUP list on August 31 to allow him to recover from arthroscopic knee surgery, meaning he would miss at least the first six games of the 2013 season. The team moved him from the PUP list to injured reserve on December 4, 2013.
- 2000 Florida Gators football team
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- List of Washington Redskins players
- Jones, Mike (December 4, 2011). "Gameday Q&A: Maurice Hurt". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- National Football League, Current Players, Maurice Hurt. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Sarah Kogod, "Maurice Hurt's real first name," The Washington Post (October 9, 2012). Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Jones, Mike (September 4, 2011). "Evan Royster, four others signed to Redskins' practice squad". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- Jones, Mike (November 6, 2011). "Roy Helu, Leonard Hankerson, Maurice Hurt to start for Redskins". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Walker, Andrew (June 1, 2012). "Hurt Liking Chemistry Along O-Line". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- Tandler, Rich (June 12, 2012). "Minicamp Day 1: Minnifield looking good". CSNWashington.com. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- Whyno, Stephen (July 26, 2012). "Redskins place Jammal Brown on PUP list with hip soreness". WashingtonTimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Jones, Mike (July 30, 2012). "Redskins' injuries: Jonathan Goff is done for the season, Kory Lichtensteiger has knee surgery". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- Tinsman, Brian (December 23, 2012). "Redskins Win Nail-Biter In Philly, 27-20". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- Czarda, Stephen (December 26, 2012). "Hurt Gives Teammates A Lift In Spot Start". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- Jones, Mike (August 31, 2013). "Redskins cuts: Tony Pashos, DeJon Gomes, Chase Minnifield among them". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Jones, Mike (December 4, 2013). "Redskins place Maurice Hurt on injured reserve". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-01-02.
- Jones, Mike (August 30, 2014). "Redskins finalize 53-man roster". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-08-30.