This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Obstfeld (third from right) in a meeting with Barack Obama
|Chief Economist of the International Monetary Fund|
Assumed office |
8 September 2015
|Preceded by||Olivier Blanchard|
19 March 1952|
New York City, New York, U.S.
University of Pennsylvania (BA)|
King's College, Cambridge (MA)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (PhD)
|Institution||University of California, Berkeley|
|New Keynesian economics|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
He is well known for his work in international economics. He is among the most influential economists in the world according to IDEAS/RePEc. He graduated from Pennsylvania summa cum laude, Cambridge and MIT, where received his Ph.D. in 1979. Director of the Center for International and Development Economic Research (CIDER). He joined Berkeley in 1989 as a professor, following appointments at Columbia (1979–1986) and the University of Pennsylvania (1986–1989). He was also a visiting professor at Harvard between 1989 and 1991. Obstfeld serves as honorary advisor to the Bank of Japan's Institute of Monetary and Economic Studies. Among Obstfeld's honors are the Carroll Round Keynote Lecture, Woodward Lecture, and Bernhard Harms Prize and Lecture in 2004. Obstfeld is a Fellow of the Econometric Society and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is active as a research Fellow of CEPR, a research associate at NBER, and an International Research Fellow at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
On July 20, 2015, Christine Lagarde, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), announced her intention to appoint Obstfeld as Economic Counsellor and Director of the IMF’s Research Department. Obstfeld succeeds Olivier Blanchard whose retirement was announced previously. He began his work at the Fund on September 8, 2015.
Books and selected publications
- "Too Much Focus on the Yuan?" (with Alan J. Auerbach),October 2010
- "Lenders of Last Resort and Global Liquidity: Rethinking the System," Development Outreach (World Bank Institute), December 2009
- Globalization and Macroeconomics, Fall 2000.
- Money, Capital Mobility, and Trade: Essays in Honor of Robert Mundell, with Guillermo Calvo and Rudi Dornbusch.
- International Economics: Theory and Policy, with Paul Krugman and Marc Melitz
- Foundations of International Macroeconomics, with Kenneth Rogoff.
- "PDS login". Library.mit.edu. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "Past Keynote Speakers". Carrollround.georgetown.edu. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "Profile". Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "New Member of Obama's Economic Team Has International Expertise". The New York Times. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- IMF (20 July 2015). "IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde Appoints Maurice Obstfeld as Economic Counsellor and Director of the IMF's Research Department". Imf.org. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- Maurice Obstfeld-Biographical Information-International Monetary Fund
- Professional page
- Curriculum Vitae
| Chief Economist of the International Monetary Fund
|This article about an economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|