|Born||15 March 1933|
|Died||15 June 2013(aged 80)|
|Alma mater||University of Manchester|
|Institutions||University of Manchester|
|Doctoral advisor||M. S. Bartlett|
|Doctoral students||Howell Tong|
Maurice Bertram Priestley (15 March 1933 – 15 June 2013) was a professor of statistics in the School of Mathematics, University of Manchester. He gained his first degree at the University of Cambridge and went on to gain a Ph.D. from the University of Manchester.
He was known especially for his work on time series analysis, especially spectral analysis and wavelet analysis. He was a longstanding editor of the Journal of Time Series Analysis, a special edition of which was published in his honour in 1993.
- Priestley, M. B. (1971). "Time-dependent spectral analysis and its application in prediction and control". Journal of Sound and Vibration. 17 (4): 517–534. doi:10.1016/0022-460X(71)90064-2.
- Priestley, M. B. (1980). "State-Dependent Models: A General Approach to Non-Linear Time Series Analysis". Journal of Time Series Analysis. 1: 47–71. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9892.1980.tb00300.x.
- Priestley, M. B. (1996). "Wavelets and Time-Dependent Spectral Analysis". Journal of Time Series Analysis. 17: 85–103. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9892.1996.tb00266.x.
- Tata Subba Rao and Granville Tunnicliffe-Wilson, Obituary: Maurice Priestley 1933–2013, IMS Bulletin on line 29 August 2013
- MB Priestley, Spectral Analysis and Time Series (Vols. 1 & 2). London: Academic Press, 1981. ISBN 978-0-12-564901-8
- Tata Subba Rao, editor, Developments in time series analysis: in honour of Maurice B. Priestley, London, Chapman and Hall, 1993. ISBN 978-0-412-49260-0
|This article about a statistician from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|