Mauritian Australians

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Mauritian Australians
Total population
60,000 estimate as of 2017 (by birth and ancestry)[1][2][2]
Regions with significant populations
Mauritius-born/ ancestry people by state or territory
Victoria32,000[3]
New South Wales12,260[4]
Western Australia11,200[5]
Queensland3,678[6]
Languages
English · Mauritian · French
Religion
Christianity · Hinduism · Islam · Other
Related ethnic groups
African Australians

Mauritian Australians are Australians of Mauritian descent, or who were born in Mauritius.

The Census in 2011 recorded 23 280 Mauritius-born people in Australia, an increase of 28.1 percent from the 2006 Census.

The 2011 distribution by state and territory showed Victoria had the largest number with 11 600 followed by New South Wales (5752), Western Australia (3932) and Queensland (1476).[7]

Mauritians are a rapidly growing migrant group having increased steadily over the past 30 years.[citation needed]

History[edit]

Migrants from Mauritius have a very long history in Australia. They have been arriving in Australia since before federation in 1901. They came as prospectors to Victoria's goldfields, convicts, or skilled sugar workers who significantly helped to develop Queensland's sugar industry.[8]

Cultural background[edit]

As Mauritius is a country with a multicultural and multiethnic society, Mauritians have different and diverse ethnic backgrounds. However, in the 2011 Census most Mauritius-born people living in Australia reported being of Mauritian descent (13,651), followed by those of French (4,536) and Chinese descent (2,057).

Base on ethnic lines, roughly whites or gens de couleur (mixed-race creoles) represent 50% of the community in Australia, this group were largest numbers leaving Mauritius after independence and the only ones that could pass the white or near white test under the white Australian policy during the 60's till 1970. Chinese-Mauritians make up 7%, arriving mostly during the 80s and 90s, those of Indian ancestry are 20-25% and Creoles of African ancestry 20-25%. Most of the Afro-Mauritians and Indians have arrived after the 2000s, and are the fastest growing part of the community. Mauritian Australians have a small presence in Australian popular culture, including in television.[9] Aisha in The Slap is a notable example, identified in the TV series adaptation as 'Mauritian-Australian'.[10] Havana Brown is a significant Australian musician of Mauritian background.

Language[edit]

The main languages spoken by Mauritius-born people in Australia were French (12,545), English (5,665) and Mauritian (2,654).[11] Note that Australia has a large French-speaking Mauritian community in relation to percentage of the overall Mauritian community, they represent 1.4% of the Mauritian community, although numbers would be much higher, but most of the second generation speak English. The French speakers using the language as mother tongue represent the White-Mauritians or gens de couleur (mixed-race Creoles) ethnic groups, making up at least 50% of the Mauritian community in Australia. In comparison, in Mauritius 4.1% of the population speaks French as a first language (mother tongue) with 68.6% using French as a second language making a total of 72.7%[12] French speakers.

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ http://www.amasydney.net/
  2. ^ a b "The Mauritius-born Community: Historical Background". Australian Government, Department of Immigration and Border Protection (2011 census). 19 November 2013. Archived from the original on 13 February 2014. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
  3. ^ http://www.amasydney.net/
  4. ^ http://www.amasydney.net/
  5. ^ https://culturalatlas.sbs.com.au/mauritian-culture/mauritians-in-australia
  6. ^ https://culturalatlas.sbs.com.au/mauritian-culture/mauritians-in-australia
  7. ^ "Australian Government -Department of Immigration and Citizenship -Community Information Summary 2014" (PDF).
  8. ^ "Community Information Summary: Mauritius-born" (PDF). Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship. February 2014. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
  9. ^ Cormack, Bridget (17 September 2011). "A real actor". The Australian. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
  10. ^ "Q & A with Christos Tsiolkas about the "The Slap" television series". Meanjin. Archived from the original on 2013-10-04.
  11. ^ Cite error: The named reference Mauritian Australians2 was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
  12. ^ Collectif (2007-03-22). La francophonie dans le monde 2006-2007 (édition 2006-2007 ed.). Paris: Nathan. ISBN 9782098821774.