Mauritian passport front cover
|Type of document||Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||Mauritian citizenship|
Mauritian passports are issued to citizens of Mauritius for travel outside the country. As of 2007[update], Mauritius' Passport and Immigration Office processed an average of 434 passport applications each day.
Mauritian passports are issued under the Passport Act of 14 February 1969. The Passport Regulations 1969 govern details of their issuance. The regulations make provision for extending the period of validity of a passport; however, after a passport is expired, there is no provision for renewal, and instead a new application must be made to the Passport and Immigration Office.
Mauritian passports issued to adult citizens are navy blue in colour, with the Coat of arms of Mauritius emblazoned in the centre of the front cover. The word "Passport" is inscribed below the coat of arms, and "Republic of Mauritius" above. The passport contains 64 visa pages.
Identity information page
The Mauritian passport includes the following data:
- Photo of passport Holder
- type p
- Code of Issuing state (MUS)
- Passport No.
- Given Names
- Date of birth
- Personal No.
- Place of birth
- Date of issue
- Date of expiry
The information page ends with the Machine Readable Passport Zone.
The passports contain a note from the issuing state that is addressed to the authorities of all other states, identifying the bearer as a citizen of that state and requesting that he or she be allowed to pass and be treated according to international norms. The note inside Mauritian passports states:
- The President of the Republic of Mauritius requests and requires all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford such assistance and protection as may be necessary.
and in French:
- Le Président de la Republique de Maurice requiert de laisser passer le titulaire librement et sans empêchement et de lui fournir toute assistance et protection si nécessaire.
As of 7 January 2019, Mauritian citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 145 countries and territories, ranking the Mauritian passport 31st (tied with Saint Lucia) in terms of travel freedom accordant to the Henley visa restrictions index.
- Debriefing Session on Signature of EU Visa Waiver Agreement
- Permitted durations of stay for visa-free travel are based on the Delta Travel Planner unless otherwise indicated
|This Mauritius-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|